Is the iPhone 6s scratch resistant?

I

iMore Question

Is the iPhone 6s scratch resistant

I usually have a problem with my phones that they get scratched up pretty fast, how is the 6s when it comes to scratches? I know no phone is impervious to scratches but how good is the 6s?

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is the iPhone 6s scratch resistant

I usually have a problem with my phones that they get scratched up pretty fast, how is the 6s when it comes to scratches? I know no phone is impervious to scratches but how good is the 6s?

From what I have heard the aluminum is twice as strong but no comment as to scratches. If you are that concerned with scratches you could get a front/back screen protector to minimize "scratchable" surface area.

Gadgetry

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'd think the glass is more scratch resistant than the back of the phone. As such, I plan to get a case but not a screen protector. I've had screen protectors on several manufacturers phones but haven't ever really needed them. I have not tried any of the screen protectors made out of glass so I may give that a shot but it's not on my short list.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site

I'd think the glass is more scratch resistant than the back of the phone. As such, I plan to get a case but not a screen protector. I've had screen protectors on several manufacturers phones but haven't ever really needed them. I have not tried any of the screen protectors made out of glass so I may give that a shot but it's not on my short list.

I can really recommend tempered glass. I use that on every phone I get and every one in my family uses them. Tempered glass has saved both my daughters screen and also my wife's 5C display. All of them have dropped there phone face down and the only thing that has cracked is there tempered glass

aspireca

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Tempered glass is recommended
They have 0.3 - 0.1 mm
Mine is 0.1mm, very thin and strong

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site

I also have a 0.1 mm screen protector. Bought it on eBay, just search and you will find it. It's cheep to so you can buy a bunch of them.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

No it is not. The wife's 6s had some light scratches on it after a week or two. Put a Tempered glass screen protector on it and now live worry free.

svc1314

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

For the back, you can buy extremely thin cases if you prefer that nude feel. Or just get Skinomi on Amazon! As for the front, the screen is already a 9H glass but I'd suggest getting a tempered glass screen protector to be on the safe side since you tend to scratch up your phones.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I have no scratches on my 6s Plus screen after about 3 weeks and I have a Black Apple Leather case on it from day one. According to Apple the 6s/6s Plus screen is the hardest glass screen ever put on an Apple iPhone and is scratch resistant. I really hope it holds up because I like the way my iPhone looks and feels without a screen protector. This is actually my first time not using a screen protector.

SeaTeaSnow

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
No, the iPhone 6s has touch force, and as such, it "bends". It is soft to the touch, not hard like traditional Gorilla glass.

It may be the most "crack-resistant" screen they've had, but it is LEAST SCRATCH RESISTANT screen I've seen on an iPhone.

I had my iphone 5 for 3 years, and never had a screen protector, and never got a single scratch (I'm very careful with my phones).

I had the 6s for 3 weeks, and I got a huge scratch down the middle when it was in my pocket, and I don't know how it got there. I have surmised that I may have had a piece of sand or something.

The screen for the iPhone 6s is unacceptably easily-scratched. I highly recommend getting a screen protector immediately, lest you scratch your screen within weeks.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I've had my 6S 3 weeks today, and no scratches. But then again, I treat all my phones like Faberge' Eggs. I never ever put them in my pockets, and when they go in my purse they have a dedicated section all by themselves. No screen protector as of right now, but I do plan to get one as soon as I find one I like.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No, the iPhone 6s has touch force, and as such, it "bends". It is soft to the touch, not hard like traditional Gorilla glass.

It may be the most "crack-resistant" screen they've had, but it is LEAST SCRATCH RESISTANT screen I've seen on an iPhone.

I had my iphone 5 for 3 years, and never had a screen protector, and never got a single scratch (I'm very careful with my phones).

I had the 6s for 3 weeks, and I got a huge scratch down the middle when it was in my pocket, and I don't know how it got there. I have surmised that I may have had a piece of sand or something.

The screen for the iPhone 6s is unacceptably easily-scratched. I highly recommend getting a screen protector immediately, lest you scratch your screen within weeks.

Welcome to iMore, however I do believe you are mistaken. The screen on the 6s/6s Plus is the hardest and most scratch resistance screen ever put on a iPhone according to the last Apple Keynote. I've had my 6s Plus since October 2nd without a screen protector and I have NO scratches (knocking on wood for continued luck).... ENJOY the site.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Source: iPhone 6s - Design - Apple

There's no doubt that the glass will scratch, but supposedly not easily.

Reading that I would assume the glass is built to withstand drops more than any other glass on a smartphone. I would still be cautious of scratches. And as such I put a tempered glass protector on mine. A friend of mine has a scratch in his screen already. I never like to take chances. I put a glass protector on mine day one. And I always recommend others to do the same. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Reading that I would assume the glass is built to withstand drops more than any other glass on a smartphone. I would still be cautious of scratches. And as such I put a tempered glass protector on mine. A friend of mine has a scratch in his screen already. I never like to take chances. I put a glass protector on mine day one. And I always recommend others to do the same. Better safe than sorry.

Yes. :) That's why I said the glass will scratch... just not easily. It was not my intention to insinuate that others not use a screen protector. In my original post I said I was getting one for mine.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Caseless 90% of the time since launch. Never a screen protector -I hate them.

My phone is fine. No scratches. No dings.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Caseless 90% of the time since launch. Never a screen protector -I hate them.

My phone is fine. No scratches. No dings.

Same here. I rarely use a case. If I do, it's an Apple leather case. I don't use screen protectors either. I may pick up a few hairline scratches in the oleophobic coating but not the screen itself. And you can't see those unless you catch them in the right light. AppleCare+ will take care of anything catastrophic.

I've had my 6S for a couple of months now. No scratches on the screen or in the aluminum. I've got a couple of light scratches on the apple logo on the back and on the antenna bands, but I don't really mind.

Of course, not everyone shares my affinity for gently used gadgets, but every ding/scratch tells a story.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh