I'm underwhelmed by my new iPhone 6s, and I'm bummed about it.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't get these posts. You know exactly what's new beforehand and you couldn't decide then it's not worthy of an upgrade? Why buy it when you knew what you were getting and what to expect beforehand?

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't get these posts. You know exactly what's new beforehand and you couldn't decide then it's not worthy of an upgrade? Why buy it when you knew what you were getting and what to expect beforehand?

Not only that, but if you don't like it, you can return it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
One aspect of it is a majority of our time on the newest device is in apps that run fine without the extra power or features. You browse the web, read email, forums etc and never experience the boost in performance.

The first few minutes using it that phone is the new normal. In this case you have the same size screen and a similar OS.

Suggestions to bring the fun back to a phone release.
- every 2 years, either go for the big model change or the refinement. Either way it's more exciting.
- don't run the early betas.
- try out more apps that specifically take advantage of the new features. Get a game that takes advantage of the new chips.
- be patient for more apps that take advantage of the new features
- watch and read the new features posts on iMore. They may excite you again to try out some of the new features - 4K video as mentioned.
- ignore the hype part of the year. Wait until closer to launch.
- temper your expectations!
- after some amount of time go back and try the old device. You'll remind yourself how the new one is improved. Countless people had said this for the 5 to 6. They thought they didn't want the big screen but wow how they can't go back. It could be 3D Touch or 4K video or speed.
- 8 months from now you will be on the latest instead of 20 months off of the latest. That would feel worse for me. So if like me you do run the betas, the chances are higher that you will benefit from ios10's latest features - until ip7 of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vsnlweb

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
This is why I'm gonna start only getting a phone every two years... Ive noticed in Canada that it seems that every year the prices go up, whether due to exchange or Rogers just subsidizing less I don't know. Oh her than that I like the stuff Apple comes out with.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm a pretty huge Apple and iPhone fan. I have been since day one. I get the latest and greatest every year. For the first time ever, that excitement that I usually have on launch day when I have my new phone in hand isn't there. I'm not sure why - could be that I don't feel like there's anything "new" to be had, or it could be that my brain is just overloaded and de-sensitized to everything these days. It's such 1st-world problems, I know, and I do feel a bit bad about complaining about it, but maybe this post is here to invite some people who ARE loving their new 6s to chime in and say, do this or try that or take it to the dog park and shoot some 4k video haha. I know it's kind of hard to make suggestions when I'm the only one here who knows what interests me, but hey, I like getting conversations going with people who have a love of all things Apple like me.

I saw a sort of similar thread nearby here about someone who had the novelty of their 6s wear-off after the first day. I almost just responded to that thread instead of starting a new one, but I never even had the first-day novelty, I just started using the phone and thought "So what?... I just spent $1k on this?"

Anyway, I feel very fortunate to have the phone and typically am not a whiner like this - I'm usually a guy who can't even sleep when anticipating the release of any new technology, not just Apple's. Just felt like I had to get that off my chest, and would to love to hear anyone's thoughts. No need to bother with posts yelling at me for being negative or ungrateful or whiny or silly or (add your favorite adjective here)... because I already know I'm all those things. :)

IMO, it's all about the speed. The 6 was ok from day one though in that department. The only other big update you'll see coming from a 6 is 3D touch which isn't a big deal yet either. The camera improvement isn't a big deal. Touch ID is faster but it's not like it sucked before. And of course if you're coming from a 5S or before, then it's a different world.

Upgrading to the 6S Plus though is different. Because the 6 Plus had its problems that the regular 6 didn't. Stuttering, lag, constant app and safari refreshing made the 6 Plus a pain to use IMO (although some will insist otherwise). The 6S Plus fixes this. That's the big deal. Throw in OIS for video along with the other stuff like 3D touch and that all makes upgrading from a 6 Plus more worthwhile.

If I had the 6, I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the 6S. If I had the 6 Plus, I would have, and did upgrade to the 6S Plus. My wife did the 6S from the 6 deal, and I doubt she sees much difference. She just wanted to be able to do the live photos and get a different color.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
It will slow down at some point - I remember getting a desktop computer every year, then a laptop every year, now I don't even have a desktop and my laptop is 2 years old and just about as good as anything coming out now (a little worse but not when compared to the money and effort to migrate). I was telling a friend phones will be like that one day, but for now there is too much movement in the new technology if you are a tech geek - which I am.

That said, I really like my 6s. Here are the priority reasons why (the other stuff hasn't thrilled me yet):
1. At first I didn't think I could tell a weight difference, but having used it for a day it is very slightly heavier - and it makes the phone feel just a little better - a little more substantial.
2. I didn't think I would use 3D Touch but I really am using it in the Apple apps that support it. I think it will become as natural as gesture/swiping everyone does now without thinking. This is a time saver, just makes me feel more efficient with my phone.
3. The Touch ID responsiveness is PHENOMENAL! I can't believe how fast I get into my phone now.
4. I actually haven't used the cameras yet but I take a lot of photos, and some selfies with my wife - I know I will enjoy the new cameras and front side flash.
5. I feel a little at peace because I know the frame and display are more impervious to injury. This is perception only, but it is there for me.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have only joined the iOS regime from the 6+. I feel the difference already. If you get sick of iPhone already, move on. I've come from a BlackBerry and Android. Next the Lumia 950.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
When you think about it, I suppose that it makes sense on some level. Almost as soon as one device is launched, the hype begins for the next. There are rumors, wish lists, and threads about "what do you think/want to be in the next one". Then June comes around and WWDC happens and the hype about the next version of iOS... and that signals the official countdown to the September iPhone event. More rumors, artist renderings, concept videos, etc... and then the day comes where Apple itself hypes the new device, and the feeding frenzy begins.

The whole thing is an emotional roller coaster ride for some/many/most Apple fans of pre-ordering, standing in line or racing from store to store trying to find the new device. I really don't see how this can continue... yet it does. Eventually, reality has to set in.

And to the OP, I certainly can see your point, and feel you pain.

One thousand likes...

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
On a lighter note maybe this is what it feels like to be a druggy. Those first couple hits are great but then you need to take more to get the same dopamine levels. :D

On a more serious note(short and long version below):

td;lr:Buy iPhones with features to compliment your high, not create it. Mine are travel and photography. Live photos would have allowed me to experience special instances in time in London, the streets of Paris or my girlfriend's shy smile any time I wanted because I have a crappy memory.

Long version:
One thing I recommend is to not make the iPhone the source of your high but use those new features that will compliment and enhance activities that make your dopamine levels rise. For me, I love photography and traveling. Over the last few summers/falls I have been blessed to be able to travel to the French-Belgium border for various tasks for the physics experiment I work on. I've been to London, Paris, Brussels, Rheims, ect. and while there I have either had my Nokia 920 or iPhone. The 920's camera was fuzzy while taking photos of Paris and the various iPhones, while reliable, have had such low MP counts that I couldn't fully capture fine details such as on the Mars Gate or Cathedrals. Mostly I wish I had live photos though. Live photos would have allowed me to capture small snippets of those times which were most special to me and replay them whenever I wanted. There are similar modes in other phones but Apple made it more of use in those spontaneous moments where most of my photography is centered.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't really speak on the 6s Plus....YET, but my very first iPhone was the 5s and I was overwhelmed with it. My second iPhone is the 6 Plus and once again I'm overwhelmed with this device. I guess expectations are different for each individual, I'm certainly looking forward to the different enhancements that the 6s Plus brings to the table. Apple has impressed ME enough that I want to upgrade to the latest and greatest iPhone on a yearly basis.....I can't say that for the other platforms thats currently available, but thats just ME and my .02 cents.

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
IMO, it's all about the speed. The 6 was ok from day one though in that department. The only other big update you'll see coming from a 6 is 3D touch which isn't a big deal yet either. The camera improvement isn't a big deal. Touch ID is faster but it's not like it sucked before. And of course if you're coming from a 5S or before, then it's a different world.

Upgrading to the 6S Plus though is different. Because the 6 Plus had its problems that the regular 6 didn't. Stuttering, lag, constant app and safari refreshing made the 6 Plus a pain to use IMO (although some will insist otherwise). The 6S Plus fixes this. That's the big deal. Throw in OIS for video along with the other stuff like 3D touch and that all makes upgrading from a 6 Plus more worthwhile.

If I had the 6, I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the 6S. If I had the 6 Plus, I would have, and did upgrade to the 6S Plus. My wife did the 6S from the 6 deal, and I doubt she sees much difference. She just wanted to be able to do the live photos and get a different color.

Pretty good explanation my wife and I currently have a 6 plus and we've both experienced those problems mainly her tho really great way to put it!

anon(9179520)

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
No need to bother with posts yelling at me for being negative or ungrateful or whiny or silly or (add your favorite adjective here)... because I already know I'm all those things. :)

I don't think you are any of the above. In fact, you have just out grew your "boy toys". I am guessing that you are in your 30s to early 40s? It is now time to find something else that excites you. Career? Family? Kids? New house?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Not necessarily ?plenty of us here in iMore are well into our 40's and beyond, have kids (or grandkids), houses, jobs (or retired) and we still get plenty excited by new tech (not just for boys!!!).

I didn't really get into technology until my later 20's, so I think I'll be a hip old lady.

Seriously though, for some people the S upgrades are not enough to give the satisfaction that the money was well spent. I sell my current model prior to getting a new one. Then I use an older device missing features. So once I get in the new device, it'll always feel huge to me. That's my trick.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you should not buy the new one every single year. Wait a couple or three years and get a new one. You might get that feeling back. I mean at this point the upgrades (as wonderful as they are) are not all that significant.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I think most people have a dose of buyer's remorse. It is common when one buys something expensive. Get over it and just enjoy your new iPhone 6S!

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
So, I have been really taking my iPhone 6s through the paces and I'm really liking this phone. I like that Siri is always on. This is a feature that was awesome with my Nexus 6 and Google Now. Whether the phone is plugged in or not, you can still access Siri. So I find myself using Siri more now than I have in the past. Really liking live photo. I'm finding some use in 3D touch. I know that some say that it doesn't really add more functionality, but I am finding that it seems simpler. To be able to force touch the camera and go straight to what I want to do, or to force touch the newspaper app and go into one of my favorites immediately has been convenient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk