Any concerns about getting one of the first 6s phones?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
read the original post

"I have never been part of the 3 AM EDT crowd....I always have thought it's better to wait a couple of weeks in case some tiny engineering changes based on the first batch are added in"

Oh I did...I was just a little confused about your response, since "engineers" can very much relate to software as well, and retain relevance to what he said when it comes to changes made to the first batches via firmware updates.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh I did...I was just a little confused about your response, since "engineers" can very much relate to software as well, and retain relevance to what he said when it comes to changes made to the first batches via firmware updates.

I assumed he was talking about something that couldn't be changed.. Didn't think software fell under that category but I see what your saying.. IE antenna gate or bendy phone etc

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

And no offense but I really don't think you read the first post along with all the other comments here he mentioned a manufacturing tweek dealing with antennas etc read the post again my bro..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And no offense but I really don't think you read the first post along with all the other comments here he mentioned a manufacturing tweek dealing with antennas etc read the post again my bro..

I definitely read it...nothing in the rest of the responses changes what I said in response to your post...when reading the OP's comment, it seemed glaringly obvious to me that he was referring to issues relevant to the first release batch of the device that could be handled by software/firmware updates (which is handled by software engineers).

If you go back and read about "antenna gate", it was quickly addressed by Apple as a formulaic issue with the way "bars" were presented in the read out, and it was addressed with a SOFTWARE update...here is a snippet of the article that discusses it on Wikipedia:

Apple explained how the formula it used to calculate the number of bars to display was "wrong". Apple promised to correct the issue and release a software update within a few weeks that would address the "mistake", which had been present since the original iPhone.[85] The New York Times commented that "the failure to detect this longstanding problem earlier is astonishing.

...so no, I'm not confused at all about this.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I definitely read it...nothing in the rest of the responses changes what I said in response to your post...when reading the OP's comment, it seemed glaringly obvious to me that he was referring to issues relevant to the first release batch of the device that could be handled by software/firmware updates (which is handled by software engineers).

If you go back and read about "antenna gate", it was quickly addressed by Apple as a formulaic issue with the way "bars" were presented in the read out, and it was addressed with a SOFTWARE update...here is a snippet of the article that discusses it on Wikipedia:

...so no, I'm not confused at all about this.

So manufacturing changes means software to you? Good to know
Anyway done with this conversation I'm convinced the op was asking about hardware and not software.. Sorry

Last edited:

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
How on earth did you come to that conclusion? (since nothing I said reflected that at all)

In the original post he mentioned being worried about manufacturing changes so I answered based on his hardware question not software then you attempted to call me out which I'm game for however don't do it when I'm right!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
In the original post he mentioned being worried about manufacturing changes so I answered based on his hardware question not software then you attempted to call me out which I'm game for however don't do it when I'm right!

He also clearly mentioned engineering changes, which is what I've addressed in this entire back and forth with you...I didn't call you out, I simply asked you what you were talking about, and you got into this discussion about antennas and what not, stating you didn't feel I read the first post.

Your first quote:

also usually apple doesn't make any engineering changes in the phone.. the same hardware is in it 6 months from now as now

...if you meant to put "manufacturing" changes, maybe that is what you should have typed. I simply retorted to your own words...which were only reflective of engineering changes, which happen all the time (IE: firmware updates).

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
He also clearly mentioned engineering changes, which is what I've addressed in this entire back and forth with you...I didn't call you out, I simply asked you what you were talking about, and you got into this discussion about antennas and what not, stating you didn't feel I read the first post.

Your first quote:

...if you meant to put "manufacturing" changes, maybe that is what you should have typed. I simply retorted to your own words...which were only reflective of engineering changes, which happen all the time (IE: firmware updates).

No problem not really worth arguing about it just seemed like everyone was answering based on software instead of answering his hardware questions.. No biggy just wanted the op to know they don't typically change anything with the hardware :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No problem not really worth arguing about it just seemed like everyone was answering based on software instead of answering his hardware questions.. No biggy just wanted the op to know they don't typically change anything with the hardware :)

Understandable...it was just confusing because your first post didn't really clearly say that. It's all good.

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I was apart of the early crowd when I bought the 4s shortly after launch, which was my first iPhone. It has some issues and I had to get another, lesson learned. Waiting, in my opinion is definitely better, it gives time for some possible kinks to be worked out!

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
To me there is less risk in an 'S' release than a number release, the number releases being usually a much more significant engineering feat.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
"S" models tend to be focused on feature set additions.

Non-"S" models tend to be focused on redesigns.

It's always been like that.

I think because of this I feel a little more confident being an early adopter. I went through 3 iPhone 6's before I got one with no issues. However with the 5s, both I'd bought were perfect. Can't wait until I get the new 6s!

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
As the OP for this thread!, I feel my question got answered - as I pondered, my worry was engineering/manufacturing related defects that worst case would cause the phone to work less than optimally, and in an intermittent state making it hard to correct. Software doesn't bother me at all as that is always updated, and I could have the same issue downloading iOS 9 on my old phone this week. But what mitigates my original concern is (1) there really don't seem to be many issues of a manufacturing/engineering type, compared to the number of phones shipping, and (2) even if I get one with a glitch it's a quick trip to the Apple store as they seem very willing to rectify any issues. (I actually had a display that went on the fritz, I think an iPhone 4 or so, about 3 days after I got it - 10 minutes in the Apple store and I had a new phone). Now, if Apple could do something about my OCD this thread wouldn't even have started :)

Thanks everyone for your comments, they were very informative, all of them!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As the OP for this thread!, I feel my question got answered - as I pondered, my worry was engineering/manufacturing related defects that worst case would cause the phone to work less than optimally, and in an intermittent state making it hard to correct. Software doesn't bother me at all as that is always updated, and I could have the same issue downloading iOS 9 on my old phone this week. But what mitigates my original concern is (1) there really don't seem to be many issues of a manufacturing/engineering type, compared to the number of phones shipping, and (2) even if I get one with a glitch it's a quick trip to the Apple store as they seem very willing to rectify any issues. (I actually had a display that went on the fritz, I think an iPhone 4 or so, about 3 days after I got it - 10 minutes in the Apple store and I had a new phone). Now, if Apple could do something about my OCD this thread wouldn't even have started :)

Thanks everyone for your comments, they were very informative, all of them!

@noaim...apologies for our debate earlier, it seems he was referencing both manufacturing AND engineering as hardware problems completely. You were right, I was wrong. :beer:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
@noaim...apologies for our debate earlier, it seems he was referencing both manufacturing AND engineering as hardware problems completely. You were right, I was wrong. :beer:

I have printed, framed and hung this post. I am never taking it off my wall. #justsaying

:D :D :D

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope. If any issues, I will take it in and get it replaced. There are always some dud's, but apple has some pretty good QC for their devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro