How much RAM?

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I guess we could make something up to satisfy your curiosity... if we don't know all we can say is that we don't know. The background is that Apple doesn't tell us. So either we wait for a teardown or we ask the head of Apple. It's not rocket science, and sorry if my response got your panties in a wad.

Perhaps before asking a question, one could use the search function to see if the question has already been asked.

You do realise I didn't ask if it has 2gb ram or not?

It was nothing personal against you. I think a lot of veteran members, myself included, have become a bit peeved after a few other identical threads where this was asked and answered ad nauseam.

Apple has never disclosed RAM. Ever. Tear downs of the phones eventually lead to the answers. Apple clearly has their reasons. My guess is that they don't focus on the number. For years their 1GB of ram has held its own vs the competition. So they leave mentioning it alone.

Thanks, I my last iPhone before my 6 was a 4s and by the time the 5 came out I had moved to android. I presumed the reason they did mention the ram for the iPhone 6 was because it didn't change from the 5

For me it not that big of a deal but I do have apps reloading, even apples own apps so it would be nice to have some more. I know iOS doesn't need much, can you imagine android with 1gb ram?

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
It's a marketing thing... other companies have conditioned people to believe that bigger, better specs equals a better device... crappy code on 2GB RAM is going to suck compared to well written, tight code on 1GB RAM... smart people know this.

So you don't think it needs more ram? Have you left an app in the background and it has to reload it after even a short time later when you go back to it or do you not think that it is annoying because it is happening on an apple product?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got two devices bought within a month of each other. One is a Note 4 which outspecs my older (by a month) iPhone 6. Both devices have received OS updates.
My Note 4 lags where it didn't before. The camera freezes each time I take a picture. Also freezes and crashes on FB. Battery life has suffered a dramatic drop on the last upgrade.
My iPhone 6 suffers no lag, no stutters, and has only crashed on an older version of Tapatalk.

So.....specs don't matter to me anywhere near as much as how the OS is written. I would rather keep 1 GB RAM on a properly working device than 4GB on a device where I can't do something as simple as taking multiple pictures in sequence.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you not think Apple should listen to people's complaints about battery then?

What battery complaints? Most I see with a 6 or 6 Plus say they have great battery life. A few may have issues, but most do well. I think Apple has done a lot to improve battery life. It doesn't get much better. It will though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So you don't think it needs more ram? Have you left an app in the background and it has to reload it after even a short time later when you go back to it or do you not think that it is annoying because it is happening on an apple product?

I don't see any issues with apps reloading. I have web pages in Safari that reload. But I'm on an old iPhone 5 with a weak battery. Most with the 6 or 6 Plus don't have that issue. Which phone do you use?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
What battery complaints? Most I see with a 6 or 6 Plus say they have great battery life. A few may have issues, but most do well. I think Apple has done a lot to improve battery life. It doesn't get much better. It will though.

On my recent trip back home from Miami back to extreme NW Virginia, I got into the car at 2am. I forgot to plug in.
It wasn't until I hit the Love's truck stop near Charlotte NC at 2:00 pm that, coming back after settling in with tons of sugar and caffeine, it occurred to me to glance at the battery on my phone. It was at 16%.

That's 12 hours of driving in and out of 4G and LTE out in the back of beyond, talking on hands free in my Honda CR-V, and taking tons of pictures on the way.

So....

What battery problems?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You do realise I didn't ask if it has 2gb ram or not?

True, but you asked why Apple didn't say it was 2gb (if it was). The whole conversation is pointless because Apple never tells us this kind of information - at the keynote or elsewhere... so we wait for the teardown to let those who want to know/whinge/carp about it.

It's one of the first two questions asked after any Apple product announcement, and the answer is always the same: Apple doesn't say.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If that were true, then I think specs wouldn't be reported at all as the audience "wouldn't care." What you mean to say is  doesn't think people should care. Remember how good they are telling others what they need? Not complaining at all, but that's the way I see it.

No...I said exactly what I meant to say...you don't have to agree, and like anyone, you can "see it" however you like, but there wasn't any need for a correction.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So you don't think it needs more ram?

I can't say. It works for me the way it is. Sure more RAM might be helpful for some things, but more RAM for the sake of more RAM is pointless, and can negatively affect battery life.

Have you left an app in the background and it has to reload it after even a short time later when you go back to it or do you not think that it is annoying because it is happening on an apple product?

Not particularly. I don't have any apps that I need to keep churning away in the background. When I need an app that's previously been opened on my phone, I'm fine waiting a few nanoseconds for it to refresh. And of course this is only an issue for Apple products because you say so.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you not think Apple should listen to people's complaints about battery then?

What battery issues? I put my iPhone 6 Plus on the charger last night before I went to bed. At the time I put it on the charger, my battery was 48% remaining. That was after all day, moderate use on wifi and LTE.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This approach that if something isn't absolutely gushed over that it is a real "problem" is almost comedic...but I continually have to remind myself that this is the nature of the forums around release time. Thank god it's temporary.

aballerdotcom

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I think some of us, like myself, who use many devices across all OS's, tend to find that 1GB doesn't always suffice.

On my Note 3 for example: I can keep a page on my browser for days. I can keep an app suspended for a book/manga I'm reading. It does not reload while I am actively using it and rarely even does so as it sits in the background.

However, on my Lumia 640, it reloads just as frequently. It also has 1GB RAM. So the RAM issue is not just based on the OS, it's a limitation across the board.

The reloads, app crashes, those are tell tale signs of the system demanding slightly more memory and not having enough to allocate. While I'm sure for most people, 1GB is sufficient. However, there will be people like me who just do not agree based on their experiences from outside the Apple world.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

Sounds like my parents that leave every app on their phone open.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've got two devices bought within a month of each other. One is a Note 4 which outspecs my older (by a month) iPhone 6. Both devices have received OS updates.
My Note 4 lags where it didn't before. The camera freezes each time I take a picture. Also freezes and crashes on FB. Battery life has suffered a dramatic drop on the last upgrade.
My iPhone 6 suffers no lag, no stutters, and has only crashed on an older version of Tapatalk.

So.....specs don't matter to me anywhere near as much as how the OS is written. I would rather keep 1 GB RAM on a properly working device than 4GB on a device where I can't do something as simple as taking multiple pictures in sequence.

I don't know why people still insist on purchasing Samedung products... :bangs-head-on-table: ;)

They never have announced the amount of RAM in the iPhone. If you really want to know why, ask Tim:

tcook@apple.com

Well Mr. hank in Arizona (if that's your real name and where you live). I emailed Tim and asked him. He told me it's because he likes to read all the pissin' and moanin' on various forums about the amount of RAM in the devices he sells. He stated that he snickers inside when during earnings reports he has to state that they sold over 50 million devices in a quarter.

I hope the new ones have 8 gigs of RAM.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
What I want to know is - where is the oft rumored holographic keyboard? Maybe if the 6s & 6s plus come with 2 gigs this year Apple can finally implement this feature with the additional memory onboard...😜✌️

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I can't say. It works for me the way it is. Sure more RAM might be helpful for some things, but more RAM for the sake of more RAM is pointless, and can negatively affect battery life.

Not particularly. I don't have any apps that I need to keep churning away in the background. When I need an app that's previously been opened on my phone, I'm fine waiting a few nanoseconds for it to refresh. And of course this is only an issue for Apple products because you say so.

Can you point me to where I said it was only an apple problem?

At least read what I wrote before you reply.

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
What battery issues? I put my iPhone 6 Plus on the charger last night before I went to bed. At the time I put it on the charger, my battery was 48% remaining. That was after all day, moderate use on wifi and LTE.

Depends on what you call moderate usage.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh