Smaller battery?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The physical dimensions of the battery can be smaller and still have an equal or greater milliamp hour capacity because of better chemistry of battery construction... How 'bout waiting to see some actual specifications before going off a rumor?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't see Apple reducing battery time; however, maybe the battery will get physically smaller.

Exactly my thoughts. Apple has a standard battery time in its mind and their goal is to achieve that. If they can get the same time with less battery capacity, they will do that. This is possible by optimizing hardware and software.

And frankly, I don't blame them. There are USB ports everywhere nowadays; in car radios, tv's, set top boxes and so on. And with the power banks becoming affordable and widespread these days, there is in my humble opinion no need to make the iPhone bigger to fit in a larger battery.

Just my 2 cts

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of how the battery turns out, it's got to beat having to charge 3 and 4 times a day like I do with this old iPhone 5. Bring on the 6s Plus to Daddy! I'm waiting!

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The physical dimensions of the battery can be smaller and still have an equal or greater milliamp hour capacity because of better chemistry of battery construction... How 'bout waiting to see some actual specifications before going off a rumor?

According to the rumor, the milliamp hour capacity will be smaller. That would not make sense.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Then what is the point of the iPhone 6s forums? All everyone is going off is rumors!

Anyways I believe it will most likely be a smaller battery but like others had said it will be about if not slightly better battery life.

Still with that said, I still wish Apple would put bigger batteries in to last longer. Would love to go all day, or at least not have to charge at work.

Apple is close to the top with battery life to me, but I still would like better and I'm sure most would. My iPhone 6 last longer than most phones do but my 2 I have to charge my phone at work and it's not a huge deal but a nuisance because I work on an assembly line and no phone for a while then.

Like I said it's still better than most other phone manufactures. I personally would have been great with an iPhone 5s thickness if it meant having a bigger battery.

Just need to wait for tech to improve I guess.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple needs to increase the battery size not decrease. The iPhone 6 battery is pretty bad. No matter what "magic #'s apple claims" decreasing the size of the battery, on an already small battery makes no sense. Instead of the race to the bottom in terms of thinness, how about putting a decent size battery in the device.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. But it is rather humorous to watch all the kvetching and hand wringing over the rumors.

Always is...people latch onto tiny details before the iPhone is actually announced, but then after release, they like to focus on overly generalized stories and reports...go figure.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Better battery life would be appreciated, along with a starting point of 32gb. :) Evidently, Apple is too greedy to start at 32.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It looks sketchy and they go as far as saying it's sketchy in the headline, yet they report on it.

If you're really into rumors and such just go with what Gurman's reports. He's usually spot-on with details. He's good at getting stuff.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the capacity is smaller. But the side by side hour expectations per usage type are identical to the current lineup so efficiencies have bridged the gap.

Smaller capacity doesn't always equate to decreased performance.

I hope that they are right. The 6S can't handle less battery life.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
During the presentation one of the graphics was showing the battery in the iPhone 6 as 1715 mAh. Not sure if that's to be taken seriously, but isn't the current 6 an 1800+ mAh battery?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the capacity is smaller. But the side by side hour expectations per usage type are identical to the current lineup so efficiencies have bridged the gap.

Smaller capacity doesn't always equate to decreased performance.
Yes, it does. Unless you're willing to explain to me how the same phone is supposed to perform better with a smaller battery. The performance is decreased. All they did, was negate almost all of the gains in battery efficiency by putting a smaller battery into the device, telling you the battery life should be "the same" and moving on.

No, you don't get anything taken away from you because it's not like they put in a bigger battery and then replace it before it shipped to you. However, you do get the benefits of the advancements in the platform negated by them putting in a smaller battery unit in the device, simply to maintain the status quo and likely save costs.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
During the presentation one of the graphics was showing the battery in the iPhone 6 as 1715 mAh. Not sure if that's to be taken seriously, but isn't the current 6 an 1800+ mAh battery?

Yeah the capacity is smaller. There's a new component for the 3D Touch screen so the length of the batteries are shortened a bit. Supposedly efficiencies gained from the A9 chip and iOS 9 offset this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234