Wondering if the 6S camera will shoot 16:9 / widescreen stills ???

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Currently rockin a Note 4 and waiting for the 6s reveal to decide if I'm going back to iPhone or getting the Note 5.

Something I've always wondered about is how come the iPhone camera only shoots still shots in 4:3 and not widescreen like every other phone on the planet ?

Has it been because of the low 8mp count ?

Since the 6s camera will be going from 8mp to 12mp does that mean we might see wide still shots with the 6s ?

Sorry for the dumb question (if it was a dumb question)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It has nothing to do with MP and everything to do with the sensor. The iPhone 6 sensor is a 4:3 sensor, meaning 4:3 shots will be at the max megapixel size, while anything else will be cropped (some apps shoot 16:9, they are lower than 8mp). The opposite is true on the Note which apparently has a 16:9 sensor. This means 16:9 shots are at the max megapixel size, while 4:3 shots are cropper and are lower resolution.

4:3 is the standard for photography, and hands down the best for printed material as well as viewing on an iPhone screen. You won't see Apple adopt 16:9 sensors any time soon since it doesn't make sense for still photography.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
16:9 aspect ratio isn't a "feature", it's an option, and totally irrelevant to the MP count...the iPhone also allows you to edit any picture taken into 16:9 within the native camera app.

Nobody has any information about the new camera, so nobody can answer your question.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
4:3 is the standard for photography, and hands down the best for printed material as well as viewing on an iPhone screen. You won't see Apple adopt 16:9 sensors any time soon since it doesn't make sense for still photography.

4:3 used to be the standard for TV's so I think I would respectfully disagree with your opinion on 4:3 for photography.

For head shots or portrait shots, yea, 4:3 can be great, but if your out in a great nature setting taking pictures of mountains or stuff like that then 16:9 is the better format.

For many years my Android phones have given the option to shoot in either 4:3 or 16:9 while our iPhones have been stuck in the 4:3 only option.

Apple finally played catch up with bringing out bigger screen sizes with the 6, hopefully they will continue to play catch up with the camera as well on the 6s.

Ohh well, Sept 9th is coming up fast and then all will be known about the 6s,,, and I will know if my holding off on getting the new Note 5 was a good choice or not.

Cheers
Davyo

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
4:3 used to be the standard for TV's so I think I would respectfully disagree with your opinion on 4:3 for photography.

For head shots or portrait shots, yea, 4:3 can be great, but if your out in a great nature setting taking pictures of mountains or stuff like that then 16:9 is the better format.

For many years my Android phones have given the option to shoot in either 4:3 or 16:9 while our iPhones have been stuck in the 4:3 only option.

Apple finally played catch up with bringing out bigger screen sizes with the 6, hopefully they will continue to play catch up with the camera as well on the 6s.

Ohh well, Sept 9th is coming up fast and then all will be known about the 6s,,, and I will know if my holding off on getting the new Note 5 was a good choice or not.

Cheers
Davyo

I said the best for printed material. You seem to have misread, or not read at all.
You end up cropping a lot more of a 16:9 image when you print it compared to a 4:3.
As for photography in general, I do think a tighter (closer to square) aspect ratio is almost always desired. 4:3 or even 3:2 is the sweet spot for most photography. There are occasions where a narrows aspect ratio works better (panoramas for example) but generally it's much easier to fill a more square frame, and much easier to follow the rule of thirds when you're not dealing with an extra-wide aspect ratio.

Also, since you decided that this was an Android vs Apple debate, you should know that your points are completely baseless. You've had the option of cropping your photo to any aspect ratio you want on the iPhone, just like on some Android phones. There are also 1:1 and panoramic shooting options built in. Don't like those? Download one of the hundreds of apps that let you shoot directly at different ratios.

Last edited:

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, since you decided that this was an Android vs Apple debate.

OMG, really ?????

I'm typing this on my Air 2 right now with my iPad mini sitting right next to me, I use and love BOTH iOS and Android, what I don't do is the Apple fanboy'isim thing and I was NOT trying to have a debate about iOS vs Android.

As I stated in my OP, I have held off on getting the Note 5 until I see what the new 6s brings to the table, that also means I am happy with BOTH platforms and don't need to have a debate.

Davyo

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
OMG, really ?????

I'm typing this on my Air 2 right now with my iPad mini sitting right next to me, I use and love BOTH iOS and Android, what I don't do is the Apple fanboy'isim thing and I was NOT trying to have a debate about iOS vs Android.

As I stated in my OP, I have held off on getting the Note 5 until I see what the new 6s brings to the table, that also means I am happy with BOTH platforms and don't need to have a debate.

Davyo

You said that Apple was playing "catch up"...that is hilarious and flat out wrong. If you have time, you should go read about native aspect ratios on high end cameras...focus on DSLR's since they are the most common type of camera to be used above and beyond casual "point and shoot" type users.

You'll quickly learn that 16:9 isn't even really discussed except when regarding final processed motion pictures...and that other ratios give you a wider range of use in the end for all types of raw photos or ones that have to be cropped.

16:9 is not a FEATURE...it's an option, one that, as I mentioned before, Apple gives you the ability to modify pictures to if you want (FYI, that is all Android phones are doing when they shoot a picture in 16:9 is take a 4:3 window and crop it down prior to you shooting the photo...you can do this same thing with any number of apps available for the iPhone).

You have a tone to your posts that seems to indicate you feel Apple is behind on the camera front...but you do this without really understanding what you're clamoring on about.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple is behind the S6, Note 5, and G4 right now in picture quality and low-light photos, but that will change with the 6S. Everyone seems to forget that it is comparing a year-old phone to 30-60 day phones.

Belgian1973

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Seriously...
I'm also an Apple & Android user.
I have a highend DSLR camera and a compact camera (with Leica lens).

True... 16:9 is not a good resolution for print.
But my point... if your endgame is print, you should use a decent compact or SLR camera.
Most people don't print anymore, but watch it on TV, on their phone and use them as background on their laptops/pc's... all of them being 16:9

So typically Apple... they don't even give the option, because some prehistoric Apple product manager finds that 16:9 is an inferior resolution, even for a phone....

Apple is surely not behind on camera, pictures from the iPhone6 are better than the Samsung one (but don't put that on the resolution, it has more to do with the quality of the lens and CCD.), but they should give at least the OPTION to shoot in 16:9

Apple is behind on other levels... you have to admit that. They are not revolutionary anymore as with the first iPhone.
But that's another discussion which we won't start here.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Seriously...
I'm also an Apple & Android user.
I have a highend DSLR camera and a compact camera (with Leica lens).

True... 16:9 is not a good resolution for print.
But my point... if your endgame is print, you should use a decent compact or SLR camera.
Most people don't print anymore, but watch it on TV, on their phone and use them as background on their laptops/pc's... all of them being 16:9

So typically Apple... they don't even give the option, because some prehistoric Apple product manager finds that 16:9 is an inferior resolution, even for a phone....

Apple is surely not behind on camera, pictures from the iPhone6 are better than the Samsung one (but don't put that on the resolution, it has more to do with the quality of the lens and CCD.), but they should give at least the OPTION to shoot in 16:9

Apple is behind on other levels... you have to admit that. They are not revolutionary anymore as with the first iPhone.
But that's another discussion which we won't start here.

Ummm ... okay ?

Welcome to the iMore forums. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro