Are "S" Models Less Exciting To You?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Every year it seems like the S model iPhones tend to not have very much excitement around them, even though they usually bring many enhancements like massive processor upgrades and the addition of a new feature. The standard number models seem to have lots of hype, and I can see why. Redesign of the body, new color options, and usually bigger screens go with the standard number models.

For some reason, it feels like this year the hype for the 6s isn't really here at all. I remember for the 4s, tons of people were talking about it because Siri was the huge feature being added. Then the 5s was a little less hyped, even though Touch ID, the A7 chip, and the 120 FPS slow mo feature were way cooler than Siri. It seems like the 6s doesn't really have a headline feature like Siri or Touch ID. Force Touch most likely won't be used as the main selling point, because it is not a big feature that would make people want to upgrade like Siri was.

Maybe Apple has something up their sleeve that will completely blow everyone out of the water that will be on the same level as Siri or Touch ID. Hopefully they have something like that planned. I like the S models, mostly because they always get tons of new internal upgrades, but I know that isn't enough to get average consumers who only look at something for its face value to upgrade.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The "hype" will come once they reveal it and all the features and people start lining up a week before.
I feel with other S models and this one coming there's anticipation and curiosity.
Once they demo force touch I think that will create "hype" because we'll see how exactly it will be implemented on a phone with more screen real estate than the watch.
Then there's the A9 and how much more powerful it will be.
Any camera improvements.
I feel once the details are revealed the "hype" will come.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You have to take into account several factors:

1. There are those who ONLY upgrade to the S models.
2. There are those who ONLY upgrade to the non-S models.
3. There are those who get every iPhone whether S model or not.
4. I'd argue that a majority of iPhone owners, especially long time owners, are fully aware that S model are primarily internal upgrades.

If you're in the market for a S model, you will be eager and excited to get it. If you're one of the people who buy every new iPhone, you will be eager and excited to get it. If you only upgrade to the non-S model iPhone then you're probably not going to be excited about the S models b

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As it stands right now, I'm not thinking about purchasing the next iPhone, and it being a S model has nothing to do with it.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I tend to equate the 'S' model iPhone models to mid-model updates in the automotive industry. Obviously, the cycle is longer for automobiles, but to me, the analogy holds true.

We have to recognize the marketing aspects of both industries and their target audiences. Many people desire to own something that is 'totally new', and are willing to pay a premium to obtain this exclusivity. They are pleased that there are not hundreds of other people driving the same vehicle, and will recognized as being 'special'. There's nothing wrong with this; it could be chalked up to a prideful or bombastic nature - you can decide.

Other people care less about the exclusivity feature and just want a good product. There are those who will not buy the first model year of a new design, believing there will be "bugs" that will be discovered after the initial product launch that will be removed in the follow up models. Thank goodness, Apple seems to get even the initial design right most every time, so this aspect is not analogous to automobiles. However, the mid-design, or 'tock' (in the tick-tock vernacular) offers a faster processor (engine) that is more efficient (fuel economy) and offers additional features such as Force Touch that the designers didn't have time to incorporate in the initial design.

The iPhone 4S was my first smartphone, so it will always have a special meaning to me, and the fact that next month Apple will release another OS update to support it will only underscore the fact that it was a good buying decision at the time.

koltonh2002

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I always get the s model (except i got the 5c this time and then I can upgrade every 2 years, have a new phone, and have it fine tuned to perfection in comparison to the non-s

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only difference is the number only version usually has a new look. Both get new hardware of some sort. Mine will stay hidden in a case anyway, so it makes no difference to me as far as looks go. The 6s Plus will be my first "s" model.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This will be my 3rd iPhone and I'm still EXCITED. The "s" model has nothing to do with it, Having the latest, greatest Apple iPhone does....SMILE

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You have to take into account several factors:

1. There are those who ONLY upgrade to the S models.

If you're in the market for a S model, you will be eager and excited to get it.

My first iPhone was a 4s and, for almost two years, I've been using a 5s. If the current rumors turn out to be true, I will definitely be "eager and excited" to get a 6s+!

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I get the newest iPhone each launch so for me, the S model does have a little less appeal. This is because I will be getting an iPhone that looks identical to the one I have used the past year. Is that a problem? Not at all. But I would be lying if I said that new designs don't get me excited. In the end, I won't be upgrading because of it being and S model, nor will I be avoiding it due to this.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I always preferred the S model above the non-S model, just because imho the S model is a bigger change than the non-S ones. All new stuff is introduced in the S model and the non-S models are only different in design.

On the other hand, buying a non-S model could be interesting if you want to have flaws eliminated in iPhones.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why people would find the "S" model less exciting...it's consistently the one that gets most of the newest hardware additions vs. focus on design changes (like the non-S model does).

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I get more pumped about "S" models because I already know it will be the current model on a few more steroids which equals even better performance.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I love the 4 design, but I was so excited to see the iPhone 5. Plus they ruined the number line up for the iPhone. the iPhone 6 is the 8th iPhone, and the iPhone 7 will be the 10th

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal