What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 Edge?

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

I think that is a common problematic stance many people have...if something doesn't have incredible success, then it isn't success at all in their eyes. Kind of silly really...happens in sports all the time too, if a team doesn't achieve the ultimate goal, any success they did have is negated and ignored.

10 million is a good number, but why can't Samsung be honest about their numbers instead of stating 20 million preorders when there's only 10 million sold so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

10 million is a good number, but why can't Samsung be honest about their numbers instead of stating 20 million preorders when there's only 10 million sold so far?

Because they are a business and like any business, want to report on optimistic figures to appease their shareholders...

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Actually sell-through was at 6 million, 10 million was only sell in.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

20 million was what the channels ordered so not sure how that's a lie.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Samsung plays fast and loose with their numbers. It's thier modus operandi.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site

Apple needs to continue to cater to its customers as it develops products that answer a want we didn't even know we had.

I didn't know I wanted a digital music player and Apple gave me an iPod.
I didn't know I wanted a tablet and Apple gave me an iPad.
I didn't know I wanted to pay at Starbucks with my phone and Apple gave me Apple Pay.
I didn't know I wanted an ecosystem to tie eveything together along with my iPhone, and Apple gave me the best ecosystem for me.

Apple needs to continue to see where the next opportunity will be and then create a product for it. Those of us who are happy and fully satisfied with Apple's products will get their next products. Regardless of Samsung or HTC or LG or Microsoft or....ha....BlackBerry.

And if you take a look at the Samsung SG6, it is a flat out copy of the iPhone 6.

OK you know what?!? You just got my dander up. I've had to deal with being called an iSheep at CB and other BlackBerry fan sites but I'll BE DAMNED if I'm going to be labeled that here. So it would be best if you keep the insults to yourself. GOT IT?!??!!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

It is clear to see that you know your own mind and don't need Apple to tell you what you want. :rotfl:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

It is clear to see that you know your own mind and don't need Apple to tell you what you want. :rotfl:

Yes. Always.

And it's always been a source of great consternation to every troll I've ever come across.

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site

Yes. Always.

And it's always been a source of great consternation to every troll I've ever come across.

Just wait until Apple puts a notification light on the iPhone(if they ever do) you will love it once you have been told to by Apple.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Just wait until Apple puts a notification light on the iPhone(if they ever do) you will love it once you have been told to by Apple.

Nope. I don't need it on my Lumia. Don't pay attention to it on my Note.

I'm not into Pavlovian stimuli response conditioning.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

How I love reading these threads. You have two sides in a battle to one up each other and neither side will be victorious. Truly I love when people bring up iPhone sales saying that because it sales so great it has to be the best device on the market. That's like saying the Toyota Camry is the best car because it out sales every other car on the market. Samsung doesn't and won't sell as many s6/edge devices as Apple will sale as many iPhones. But does samsung's success not spur Apple on to continue to make better IPhones. Has the success of the not line not pushed Apple into the large phone area. Has the success of the surface line of tables helped Apple adopt features like multi widow support on the iPad along with the push to increase the productivity of iPads. So long story short I want the s6 to be a success and I love the competition because it will only make subsequent devices better.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The OP made a good point, what does Apple need to do to stay ahead and in some cases catch up. Apple has taken more ideas from Android in the last couple of OS updates and last year was the jump to a larger screen because users want that and are clearly still buying other large screen phones in the tens of millions so Apple does not have the market cornered.

What Apple does have is loyal customers who will buy each iteration of the current product and faithfully buy any new product because it has an Apple logo on it. For me I do enjoy my Apple products a lot, but I also get terribly bored with the iPhone each year after a few months.

I would like to see Apple loosen their draconian grip and allow things like themes, icons, anything that will allow me to make my iOS device look and be different, something more than a case and the wallpaper.

I don't think that is too much to ask for now is it.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This is a sincere question, what do you mean when you say you get bored with your phone?

i understand were he is coming from not to keep bringing up android. But the ability to load different launchers, theme packs, icons etc can keep your device feeling fresh for longer. But to Each's own some may love the look and feel of iOS while others may feel it's a bit stale and boring.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a sincere question, what do you mean when you say you get bored with your phone?

I have been using Apple products since the Apple IIc and, in fact it was my first computer. I appreciate Apple's take on iOS and its simplicity, but they also prevent the user from making it unique. Its not about making iOS look like Android or vice versa, its about making my phone mine.

The challenge I have with iOS is that I have to be the same as every other iPhone in the crowd, no way to make change it to match my mood, interests etc. I want to disable or hide apps I don't want to use or at least be able to remove them with the ability to download them again IF I need to. Like Podcasts, Game Center, Apple Watch, Stocks, Weather, just to name a few. I can get those if I want to later but I shouldn't have to be stuck with them in a folder of "unused" apps and wasting storage space.

So I get bored with the iPhone, love it, but get bored with it. I always end up selling mine after a few months and going back to Android. There are benefits to be iOS given the fact I have an iPad, MBP, AppleTV, etc and my wife has her first smartphone ever, its an iPhone 6 128GB and she will get an iPad at some point for school.

Apple's restrictive and highly oppressive grip on iOS takes the fun out sometimes. I hope that helps.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Someone said this a few pages back, but it seems like Samsung has to play mind games to get people to buy their stuff. Every samsung commercial i see (especially around an iPhone release) is "we do this and this...ya know...unlike those OTHER PHONES...(insert obvious iPhone here)"

I've never once seen apple go after someone else blatantly in their advertising (recently about phones i mean. i know they did the mac vs pc ads a while ago). they just present their product. done.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Apple doesn't need to do a thing. Apple fans will stay with Apple and Android fans will stay with Android.

Me for one use both, but all my investment money is in the Apple infrastructure so I don't buy apps etc for Android.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Someone said this a few pages back, but it seems like Samsung has to play mind games to get people to buy their stuff. Every samsung commercial i see (especially around an iPhone release) is "we do this and this...ya know...unlike those OTHER PHONES...(insert obvious iPhone here)"

I've never once seen apple go after someone else blatantly in their advertising (recently about phones i mean. i know they did the mac vs pc ads a while ago). they just present their product. done.

Sad truth is that a lot of android fans like those types of commercials. It may make them feel superior in some way. You have to remember those commercials aren't meant for you and I. I don't think Samsung is going after Apple faithful. They are meant to draw in those buyers that are on the fence between Apple and Samsung I don't know if they work or not nor do I care. I have 0 stock in either company I just want better products. And if those commercials help then I'll deal with them.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Sad truth is that a lot of android fans like those types of commercials. It may make them feel superior in some way. You have to remember those commercials aren't meant for you and I. I don't think Samsung is going after Apple faithful. They are meant to draw in those buyers that are on the fence between Apple and Samsung I don't know if they work or not nor do I care. I have 0 stock in either company I just want better products. And if those commercials help then I'll deal with them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple's restrictive and highly oppressive grip on iOS takes the fun out sometimes. I hope that helps.

Why does your approach seem to just flat out ignore the fact that an iPhone can be jailbroken and customized with ANY option you could think of? You can literally make your iPhone look like it's running an alternate OS these days (Android, BB, Windows).

Out of the box, the iPhone is limited on customizations because it's made to run efficiently for the 95% of users who don't care about these tinkering functions...they just want the device to be optimized, efficient and reliable, and that is exactly what Apple delivers. People who fall into that smaller niche of customizers have the ability to do so via a jailbreak, but whenever these conversations come up, it would seem that this idea is foreign to those who clamor on about it all the time, and that doesn't make any sense at all.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Why does your approach seem to just flat out ignore the fact that an iPhone can be jailbroken and customized with ANY option you could think of? You can literally make your iPhone look like it's running an alternate OS these days (Android, BB, Windows).

Out of the box, the iPhone is limited on customizations because it's made to run efficiently for the 95% of users who don't care about these tinkering functions...they just want the device to be optimized, efficient and reliable, and that is exactly what Apple delivers. People who fall into that smaller niche of customizers have the ability to do so via a jailbreak, but whenever these conversations come up, it would seem that this idea is foreign to those who clamor on about it all the time, and that doesn't make any sense at all.

I think a lot of supporters of other OS' simply don't know much, if anything, about what jailbreaking is and what can be accomplished via a jailbreak just like some may not know what can be accomplished via rooting an android device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh