How likely is it that the iPhone 6S will come with 2GB RAM?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
This is true, however, the two operating systems don't work the same way. What some are saying is that having that much RAM may be a waste on an iOS device because it doesn't need it to do what it already does well. If desktop multi-tasking is what a person needs, then iOS isn't for them and yes, then they may need to seek a device that has that much RAM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, you aren't getting what I am saying. iOS can definitely benefit from more than 1GB of RAM. That type of multitasking isn't what I am saying iOS needs, it makes a marked improvement to performance. You are saying you would rather if offered take the weaker device even if the stronger device van perform better? I mean this is Apple, with 2GB of RAM, I am more than sure a 6S can last 3 years.

I mean we see even Windows Phone has started to up the minimum specs on their low end devices with a 1GB of RAM, and Microsoft has even said low end devices will get a butchered version of Windows 10 because of the low amount of RAM. How do we not know in the future RAM won't be a constraint in future iOS versions?

2GB of RAM is mainly for good performance for the present and for the future. It is better future proofing. Can't say no to that.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It wouldn't hurt for the 6s Plus to come with 1.5 gb RAM. The 6s and below won't need it. The resolution is lower. The Plus doesn't need more now, but will going forward. The issue with more RAM memory is less battery life and it would use more wifi and cellular data. 2gb would be too much for the 5.5" iOS. 1.5 gb though? May very well need it soon.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

2GB of RAM and lower resolution screens go well hand in hand. Look at the Xperia Z3 Compact, it is screaming fast with 2GB of RAM and a 720p display. I think both models could benefit from some RAM upgrades.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
No, you aren't getting what I am saying. iOS can definitely benefit from more than 1GB of RAM. That type of multitasking isn't what I am saying iOS needs, it makes a marked improvement to performance. You are saying you would rather if offered take the weaker device even if the stronger device van perform better? I mean this is Apple, with 2GB of RAM, I am more than sure a 6S can last 3 years.

I mean we see even Windows Phone has started to up the minimum specs on their low end devices with a 1GB of RAM, and Microsoft has even said low end devices will get a butchered version of Windows 10 because of the low amount of RAM. How do we not know in the future RAM won't be a constraint in future iOS versions?

2GB of RAM is mainly for good performance for the present and for the future. It is better future proofing. Can't say no to that.

Ok. I see your point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It runs fine with 1 GB, but 2 GB wouldn't hurt it either. Just look at the iPad Air 2. 2 GB of RAM makes it absolutely fly through everything, tabs don't reload as often, and performance is even better than the previous iPad. Air.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It runs fine with 1 GB, but 2 GB wouldn't hurt it either. Just look at the iPad Air 2. 2 GB of RAM makes it absolutely fly through everything, tabs don't reload as often, and performance is even better than the previous iPad. Air.
It would hurt. The phone would use more battery and data with more RAM.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
It would hurt. The phone would use more battery and data with more RAM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think RAM doesn't effect how much data you use. It just stores temporary data to access quickly, like recently opened apps or browser tabs.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I think you will see the ram count go up as its needed for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50ShadesofDroidx

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Eventually it'll happen. I mean as technology itself advances, it just becomes relevant. If applications on the app store requires more memory for it to run (which it will due to bigger file sizes) in the future then it's only appropriate that Apple includes more RAM in next generation iPhones.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Lmao. Ok well I'm going to try to tone my comment down but some of you need to get out of Apple's garden and try a device like the oneplus one. Just to see How it feels to use a device with lightweight software and plenty of ram. While the iPhone is very quick, I shouldn't get browser reloads when trying to hop between safari and messaging. And to say that any additional ram will use more power is an excuse. Any additional power needed for a second dim would be minimal. But the experience of the device would more than make up for it. Then again I may be partial because I'm coming from a device that can jump between the browser, injustice, and messaging without having to reload anything.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lmao. Ok well I'm going to try to tone my comment down but some of you need to get out of Apple's garden and try a device like the oneplus one. Just to see How it feels to use a device with lightweight software and plenty of ram.
Thanks......and i agree that it's good to try different things sometimes, but also, it's not a bad thing to be content with what you already have.
While the iPhone is very quick, I shouldn't get browser reloads when trying to hop between safari and messaging.
Maybe, but how many people find what you're experiencing to be a nuisance?
And to say that any additional ram will use more power is an excuse. Any additional power needed for a second dim would be minimal. But the experience of the device would more than make up for it. Then again I may be partial because I'm coming from a device that can jump between the browser, injustice, and messaging without having to reload anything.
Yes, that is probably the reason for your partiality. Personally, I find my current iPhone ( the iPhone 6 Plus) to be fast, smooth, and sufficient enough for my needs to where I don't even consider additional specs. That's not to say that I wouldn't welcome any. I simply don't see a "need" for any at this time.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to make it sound as if I don't like this phone or anything, because that can't be further from the truth. I love the iPhone 6 but I'm not afraid to point out what I see as a deficiency and that ram. IMHO it's just not enough. Yes this fast processor makes up for it somewhat but I'd rather see how this beast will react without running into memory limits.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to make it sound as if I don't like this phone or anything, because that can't be further from the truth. I love the iPhone 6 but I'm not afraid to point out what I see as a deficiency and that ram. IMHO it's just not enough. Yes this fast processor makes up for it somewhat but I'd rather see how this beast will react without running into memory limits.

I didn't think you were bashing the iPhone or anything. Heck, there was nothing at all wrong with what you posted...;)...so dude, keep expressing your opinions. It's all good.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

lol...memory limits? The only reason this conversation is happening is because you know that numerically, the iPhone's RAM is less than some of the competition, therefore you can point it out. If we had no idea what the RAM specs were on the device, this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

And what are we to expect when Apple releases a device with 2GB of RAM? Someone like you who comes in and says "Man, I really do like my iPhone, but I'd rather see how this device would react with 3GB of RAM so I stop running into "memory limits".

It's the same thing in the car world...Chevy releases a Camaro with "x" horsepower, then the Mustang comes out with a little more horsepower, and Ford people tell Chevy people "I couldn't possibly live with 525hp when my Mustang gives me 550...I just wouldn't want to live with that kind of limitation."

Absolutely hilarious!

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
lol...memory limits? The only reason this conversation is happening is because you know that numerically, the iPhone's RAM is less than some of the competition, therefore you can point it out. If we had no idea what the RAM specs were on the device, this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

And what are we to expect when Apple releases a device with 2GB of RAM? Someone like you who comes in and says "Man, I really do like my iPhone, but I'd rather see how this device would react with 3GB of RAM so I stop running into "memory limits".

It's the same thing in the car world...Chevy releases a Camaro with "x" horsepower, then the Mustang comes out with a little more horsepower, and Ford people tell Chevy people "I couldn't possibly live with 525hp when my Mustang gives me 550...I just wouldn't want to live with that kind of limitation."

Absolutely hilarious!

I didn't have to know how much ram this device has to know its not enough. If I didn't get frequent chrome or safari refreshes I would be fine with the hardware. In my experience replying to a message has kicked safari out of memory forcing me to find my place again after reading 100 out of 200 comments on a blog post. So yes I complain about hitting memory limits. You may be more forgiving for a $600+ device but when I've had a device that I've paid 360 after taxes give me a more seamless experience in that respect. It's time to call apple out. And please don't even try to paint me as a spec head because if it were about the numbers I sang sure wouldn't have this phone I would have gotten the note 4. But I understand the numbers mean nothing if the total package isn't their. I wanted a good experience and apple mostly provides that for me. But that's not to say it can't be better and with your attitude towards the situation it's clear why Apple hasn't pushed anything because their average user doesn't demand it or are to happy to make excuses for their oversights.
What's funny is that you read my comment and Immediately assumed I was some spec head rather than pointing out a decency That I see. It's the same way most people defended Apple with the 4 inch screen until they played with the 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhones and saw that Apple may not have been right to stick with such a small screen for so long.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Oversights? LMFAO!

You know what kind of consumer I am? I'm a consumer that demands a top tier device with performance to match, and I got that with my iPhone 6 Plus, period. You can pretend like browser refreshes are a common problem for every user of the iPhone, and that some of us just choose to ignore or "deal" with it, but the truth is, it doesn't happen that often if at all.

What excuses have I made? The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus perform just fine with 1GB of RAM. Could Apple do better? Sure! They could slap 4GB of RAM into that thing, and there would be someone out there that would find something to complain about, and they would assess that it was because of some kind of "shortcoming" that in reality doesn't really exist.

With your attitude, no manufacturer will ever make a device up to your standards because there will always be something, somewhere that does it a hair better on paper.

There's nothing to be "forgiving" about my iPhone...it works near flawlessly and it does so with specs that are suitable to the devices intended usages. You think it needs 2GB of RAM to appease your idea of what is "optimal"...there might be someone out there that thinks it needs a ham sandwich printer to appease their idea of what is optimal. The vast majority of consumers who own the iPhone do not run into these phantom limitations because they're using the device within reasonable scenarios and expectations.

Lastly, the fact that you've described the OnePlus One as a more "seamless" experience compared to the iPhone kind of spells where your agenda originates. You enjoy calling out Apple all you like, lol...just because a manufacturer slaps a few redeeming hardware features on a cheap smart phone doesn't put it in the same league as the top tier devices, regardless of how impressed you've been by it.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Lmfao I will just agree to disagree. But if I felt that the oneplus one had a better user experience wouldn't I be using that phone rather than an iPhone. And if you are fine with Apple sticking with just good enough because the cpu is fast enough to make it appear seamless then be my guess. But it's a telling story that the iPad Air 2 has two gigs of ram correct. And given that the oneplus one is selling at a break even I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. Especially considering the iPhone doesn't cost anymore to produce. Though it may have better components

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think RAM doesn't effect how much data you use. It just stores temporary data to access quickly, like recently opened apps or browser tabs.
True! Not sure what I was thinking about.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Lmfao I will just agree to disagree. But if I felt that the oneplus one had a better user experience wouldn't I be using that phone rather than an iPhone. And if you are fine with Apple sticking with just good enough because the cpu is fast enough to make it appear seamless then be my guess. But it's a telling story that the iPad Air 2 has two gigs of ram correct. And given that the oneplus one is selling at a break even I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. Especially considering the iPhone doesn't cost anymore to produce. Though it may have better components

Do you even understand what you're arguing anymore? You're all over the map...

How is the OnePlus One anything other than cheap? And what relevance does the build cost of the iPhone have anything to do with? Like arguing the build cost of a Porsche vs. the cheap cost of a Honda.

You keep implying that I'm settling for a "just good enough" device from Apple, but in reality, that isn't what I'm getting at all...I'm getting top tier hardware with competitive or better components and unmatched customer support.

You yourself said you had a more seamless user experience with the OnePlus One...those were YOUR words. If you didn't mean them, maybe you shouldn't have said them?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You have chosen to use an iPhone 6 Plus, right? Even though it lacks what you would like for it to have and you are experiencing browser refreshes when switching from Safari and iMessage, you are still opting to stick with the iPhone 6 Plus, right? Does that mean that "you are fine with Apple sticking with just good enough..."? Are there not well-made non-Apple smartphones out there with the specs you prefer? It's amazing how those of us who are content with the iPhone as it currently is are often deemed as iSheep, but others who opt to buy the same iPhone and are not content, see themselves as customers who demand that Apple provide a product on par with its competitors, of which many of them have just switched from using. Go figure!

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you even understand what you're arguing anymore? You're all over the map...

How is the OnePlus One anything other than cheap? And what relevance does the build cost of the iPhone have anything to do with? Like arguing the build cost of a Porsche vs. the cheap cost of a Honda.

You keep implying that I'm settling for a "just good enough" device from Apple, but in reality, that isn't what I'm getting at all...I'm getting top tier hardware with competitive or better components and unmatched customer support.

You yourself said you had a more seamless user experience with the OnePlus One...those were YOUR words. If you didn't mean them, maybe you shouldn't have said them?

If you want to be specific I stated that it provides a better multitasking experience. Never did I say that it provided a better overall experience. And let me correct myself Apple settled when it came to ram in my opinion. just as they did with the iPad 2 they should have used the same amount in the iPhone. Sorry but I don't like having the camera kicking all my apps out of memory especially when I have something else important going on and I need to use the camera. Never have I said that this phone didn't provide a great Experience and it wasn't great phone. So I will end this on track in my opinion this phone would have been better with two gigs of ram and in my opinion if the 6s has it I would buy the phone for that reason alone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro