Note 7 to 6S Plus?

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has moved from the N7 to the 6S Plus and what your experience was. I had the opportunity to use one for a few days during the Note 7 recall fiasco. It was my first experience with iOS and I really enjoyed the change. Now that I have my replacement Note back I'm considering returning it as I'm still within my 14 day window. I'd really like to get my hands on a 7 Plus but that's not in the cards unless Foxconn suddenly ships out 5 million units. I have to get it through my carrier for EIP and only have a few days left to act.

The one thing I like really about the note is the camera. It's fast to open, fast to focus, and takes great pictures. I'm a point and shoot hack, so I need all the help I can get. I did notice the 6S Plus camera was a little behind in that regard.

Is it worth it to move now, or would I have a better experience waiting a few months and going to the 7?

Thanks in advance!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The 6S camera is still pretty good, BUT the 7 Plus camera is DAMN! But then again so is pretty much any high end Samsung phone's camera. What is so great about iOS is that it is so easy to use and learn, yet so full featured. There is so much more it CAN do if you take the time to learn it. The 3D touch features come right to mind, also little touches such as the ability to "reach" that is get the top half of your screen to come down to the bottom by double tapping the home button. Another hidden gem is the ability to summon a full web page (rather than the mobile page) by simply pressing and holding the browser bar.

This is NOT to say that Android does not have features like this, but in the Android world it's not so simple. It's not just 1 OS and 1 phone. It;s multiple OSs, multiple phones. multiple ROMs, and each is different enough to cause much confusion. Try doing things the Touch Wiz way on an HTC phone and see what happens! lol

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I came from the note 7 and about 6 years with android and I love it no lag and everything just works I'm very happy with my decision

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I came from the note 7 and about 6 years with android and I love it no lag and everything just works I'm very happy with my decision

Well I went and did it. Found a 6S Plus 64 GB Space Gray at a local store. The adventure begins! I'll apologize in advance for any stupid questions I may post : )

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has moved from the N7 to the 6S Plus and what your experience was. I had the opportunity to use one for a few days during the Note 7 recall fiasco. It was my first experience with iOS and I really enjoyed the change. Now that I have my replacement Note back I'm considering returning it as I'm still within my 14 day window. I'd really like to get my hands on a 7 Plus but that's not in the cards unless Foxconn suddenly ships out 5 million units.

Not sure what your specific window is, but according to this expect better availability Oct 8th.

Wide iPhone 7 availability expected at Apple retail by Oct. 8, international freight logjam to blame

Edit: I skipped over your post & response in #4. So above info probably not much of interest.

bgapfire

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
The 6S camera is still pretty good, BUT the 7 Plus camera is DAMN! But then again so is pretty much any high end Samsung phone's camera. What is so great about iOS is that it is so easy to use and learn, yet so full featured. There is so much more it CAN do if you take the time to learn it. The 3D touch features come right to mind, also little touches such as the ability to "reach" that is get the top half of your screen to come down to the bottom by double tapping the home button. Another hidden gem is the ability to summon a full web page (rather than the mobile page) by simply pressing and holding the browser bar.

This is NOT to say that Android does not have features like this, but in the Android world it's not so simple. It's not just 1 OS and 1 phone. It;s multiple OSs, multiple phones. multiple ROMs, and each is different enough to cause much confusion. Try doing things the Touch Wiz way on an HTC phone and see what happens! lol

I have a Note 7 and have owned every Android flagship since 2013. I've used an iPhone and finally decided to purchase my own for comparison and contrast. I really disagree with the notion that iPhone is easier to use. How is opening messaging, phone app, IG, FB, Snapchat, etc... more difficult than Android? I don't get it. I find both to be equally easy to press and open. Voila! I don't mean that as an insult but I truly don't get the ease of use argument. the OS you use on a daily basis is what will be easier to use. People don't typically like to change, thus the inherent thought that it is more difficult. It is just different.

Here's what I say from my own experience now (I purchased a 6s+ about 3 weeks ago and on iOS 10):

Cons
- I hate that iPhone doesn't have a back button. The swipe feature is not available on every app. Is it more difficult than Android? Not at all. I am acclimated to that function and wish iPhone had it.
- Android is "easier" to adjust settings since everything is in the application. You don't have to come out of the app to make a change. IE, if you want to change the resolution in your camera, you have to come out of the app to do so. That is not functional in my opinion.
- I still think Android's notifications are miles better. There is just more interaction and options for each app and each message that comes through.
- This one is a little harder to describe so please bear with me... Scrolling is faster on Android but Apple is smoother. Does that make sense? I like the speed of the scroll on Android even though it is a tad smoother on Apple.
- App customization. Just doesn't have it. I know this is a fact. I just wish I could arrange the apps on my own. iOS can stay true to their layout but at least give the app layout customization to the user.
- Can't set default apps.
- charging the battery takes forever and is just unacceptable after using Android fast charging for the past 3 years.
- I don't care what anyone says, I have had this new iPhone for 3 weeks and it has frozen on me three times. No phone is perfect when it comes to this. I am certain usage will vary with many and they'll say it has never happened to them. Great for you. It has happened three times for me already.

Pros
- Because they own the software and hardware, the integration of apps are lovely! I truly enjoy the flow of the apps.
- Battery has been phenomenal. I hate to say it but I have been able to match and exceed battery time on my Note 7 with the same usage on a few occasions.
- Messaging. Hands down is the best. I love the GIF options for messaging. You don't have to use a different app. It is just built into the messaging app and I enjoy and appreciate it.
- Fingerprint lock with more apps.
- Battery meter for bluetooth options built in.
- Mute button on the side of the phone

All in all, it is nice to have a different OS as a backup. I have always owned multiple Android devices at once. Being able to switch between the two has been pretty refreshing. I love all mobile tech and will buy whatever I enjoy using.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
The back button threw me the first day, but before long I just got used to it and didn't think about it anymore.

I wouldn't say iOS is any easier than Android. Like you said, it's just different. Some things are easier and more intuitive on one than the other, but that goes both ways. The home button has so many more functions. Once I figured out double tap, short tap, long tap, long press etc lol it started to make sense. I do like the one handed operation by double tap. That makes the behemoth size less of an issue.

Notifications are different, and I agree Android gives you more options.

I totally get the scrolling. I'm used to 'flicking' and watching the screen fly.

App customization - doesn't bother me much with the exception of the inability to arrange my own icons. That's frustrating and ridiculous IMHO

Never bothered with using anything other than default apps on Android, so I'm good there.

Battery charging time - big plus one on that. Although charging with iPad charger is supposed to speed that up it's still not Quick Charge territory. On the upside, I am getting 14-15 hours out of my battery so I've only had to put it on the charger at night.

So far I've not had issues that required a restart.

Overall I'm very happy. I've only been back on Android for about a year and a half after spending time on Windows Phone. Loved that OS, just didn't love the lack of apps and ever decreasing hardware options over the last few years.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well I am still very happy with my 6s+ I have not had any issues with it no force closes nothing I really have enjoyed it and the ram management is crazy good. I have forgotten to close web pages or apps and no issues I'm loving it.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
It's nice to see a thread like this just comparing the two devices/op systems. No chest pounding one co is better than the other. Just what each user finds that works for them or not. Keep this thread going just like this.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Note 7 refugee here going native on a brand new 6S Plus 128 GB on Big Red! I've always been a huge fan of both OS, iOS 10 brought me back after 2 years on Android. I downloaded it on my iPad and was very impressed.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Loving my 6S Plus after switching from the Note 7 back when the first recall was announced. Smooth, intuitive, great audio quality (a big priority). Camera is a bit of a downgrade for me especially in lower light, but I can live with that.

Still learning some of the tricks (like that aforementioned "hold address bar for desktop sites"). Should also use force touch more than I do.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Loving my 6S Plus after switching from the Note 7 back when the first recall was announced. Smooth, intuitive, great audio quality (a big priority). Camera is a bit of a downgrade for me especially in lower light, but I can live with that.

Still learning some of the tricks (like that aforementioned "hold address bar for desktop sites"). Should also use force touch more than I do.

I think iOS 10 definitely integrates a lot more Force Touch. I like using it to send pics from my browser to iMessage.

I'm not sure how Force Touch worked before because I am newish to iPhone, and only had iOS 9 for a grand total of 48 hours before it updated and my iPad is too old for Force Touch.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice