Considering switching back to android

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
With fast charging these days, why is battery life even a discussion anymore?

Albeit good question. I've read a few articles stating that the long term affect of fast charging and wireless charging isn't a good thing. I guess time will tell...

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Albeit good question. I've read a few articles stating that the long term affect of fast charging and wireless charging isn't a good thing. I guess time will tell...

Long term is rather ambiguous in the mobile world. As an annual upgrader any negative effects later than 12 months don't bother me.

Jaramie Black

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Because some of us aren't able to charge our phones at 3 pm because some app was running in the background or something else drains your battery. My 6p was solid when I first got it, but with each security update, it's getting worse and worse.

I'll take 11+ hours of SOT and slow charging over 3-4 hours of SOT with quick charge. It's ridiculous that my phone losses 3-5% an hour without me touching it.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I am just exhausted from trying to squeeze every minute of battery life out of my 6p. Don't get me wrong, this phone is amazing and has so many features that I love, but I need something more dependable and something I can use all day without trying to find somewhere to charge my phone.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
You have a great point, I can agree with you here, especially the bolded. I have made tweaks to increase battery life on my Robin, but it seems like I don't have to do as many with the iPhone.

I think battery life will continue to be a discussion.

Fast charging is great, but not everyone wants to be married to a charger. Some people are like, "no big deal I have chargers everywhere" and others are like, "What's the point of a phone that can't get through the day?" and of course, many in-between.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is one thing that I love about the iPhone, I don't have to worry about it. It's so amazing to not have to ask yourself... "Hey, if I go somewhere will I have to take a charger or spare battery with me?" With my iPhone I never have to ask myself that question, I just simply walk out the door of my home and get on with my life.

I'm in the same boat. The lack of customization is what gets me on iOS. It drives me crazy after awhile.
Don't get me wrong, I love tweaking stuff as much as the next geek but at some point I realized I needed something stable and dependable. That something is what I found in the iPhone. It's stable and dependable and I don't have to worry about it. If I feel the urge to tweak some stuff I go to my PC to do that.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site

I agree with this. I am either in my office or car all day and I can charge my phone either way. Also, batteries are getting bigger and charging quicker so the battery life problem is kind of solved. Plus having a portable charger is cheap and easy today for the times you need a little boost during your day

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
But again, why should you have to worry about it? Why should you have to worry about having a charger with you? Our daily lives are already complicated as it is, why add more stuff to worry about?

If I don't have to worry about my battery being dead half way through the day, that's one less worry and headache. If I can even scratch one off my day, that's a good thing.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
But again, why should you have to worry about it? Why should you have to worry about having a charger with you? Our daily lives are already complicated as it is, why add more stuff to worry about?

If I don't have to worry about my battery being dead half way through the day, that's one less worry and headache. If I can even scratch one off my day, that's a good thing.

That's the point! Having a charger with you, or a portable battery or a battery pack case nullifies that worry, since you know you'll never have a dead battery.

geezio

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Just a little observation here I also like both IOS/Android also mainly Samsung Notes but there is a difference between Apple and Sammy and that's got a lot to do with how many variations of android skins or things such as touchwiz or sense in which are Samsung and HTC's versions of android layered over the google android which in turn causes lag and crashing of apps and slow updates And so on and so fourth ,but there is only "one" uno ...1 variation of IOS unless your counting the IOS beta 9.3.3 or the beta 10.0 beta 2 or public beta but imo I love my stable IPhone 6s and have never really had a problem with this iPhone once ,at times I miss my old Note 4 but literally I had to have it replaced like 3 times during a 1 year period for different reasons but hey now I'm just babbling but ... seriously this whole thread really help me with my decision and sticking with iPhone because I was really kind of on the fence about getting the new note 7 because of the SD card and waterproofing and all that and the iris scanner but when I really think about itafter about a month use I won't even be using all the extra gimmicks nor the Spen Plus I have already invested too much in the IOS ecosystem I think that I honestly just thought about switching over to that because of the iPhone 7 rumors stating that there is really going to be no change just a few little tweaks here and there but I'm OK with that well I know this seems like it has gone nowhere but I said all this to say that this thread has literally made me think harder about staying with iPhone because when all said and done it just works for me and that's all I got say about that!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love tweaking stuff as much as the next geek but at some point I realized I needed something stable and dependable. That something is what I found in the iPhone. It's stable and dependable and I don't have to worry about it. If I feel the urge to tweak some stuff I go to my PC to do that.
You have a great point. For myself, I wanted to note that I don't mean rooting, and serious kind of tweaking. I mean basic level customization.

Why am I not allowed to put all of my icons on the left if I wanted to? Why is it when I move one icon, all of the other icons go out of wack? I don't think this is advanced at all. I have been able to do this on Windows Phone since 8.0, and probably for a while on Android. Like @Wildo6882 said, this really bothers me the most about iOS. I'm indifferent about default apps, even though of course I would love for third party keyboards to work better.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
What about a little common sense? We all leave our homes with a full charge. We go and do whatever we do and if it's not an office or a car.. Bring a small battery that can get you through.. What phone gives you less than 3 hours SOT these days?

This is just complaining about anything..I the only times that I have been dead in the water is when I fail to plan a little. We don't leave home without our shoes on do we?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
What about a little common sense? We all leave our homes with a full charge. We go and do whatever we do and if it's not an office or a car.. Bring a small battery that can get you through.. What phone gives you less than 3 hours SOT these days?

This is just complaining about anything..I the only times that I have been dead in the water is when I fail to plan a little. We don't leave home without our shoes on do we?

Technology is supposed to make our lives easier, and having to plan your day around charging your phone is the very opposite of making your life easier. Some of us spend more than 3 hours at a time away from home, office or car, and I have better things to do than remember to plug in my phone the moment I get indoors.

That's why I would never buy an iPhone 6S, 6 or 5S.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I agree with this. I am either in my office or car all day and I can charge my phone either way. Also, batteries are getting bigger and charging quicker so the battery life problem is kind of solved. Plus having a portable charger is cheap and easy today for the times you need a little boost during your day

There are times when you'd rather not fool with that stuff. I bought the Apple Smart Battery Case to keep from having to carry a portable charger/lightning cable. Next time I'm just getting the Plus :) Though I guess if that's not enough I need the portable charger/cable anyway, or a 3rd party battery case option.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You have a great point. For myself, I wanted to note that I don't mean rooting, and serious kind of tweaking. I mean basic level customization.

Why am I not allowed to put all of my icons on the left if I wanted to? Why is it when I move one icon, all of the other icons go out of wack? I don't think this is advanced at all. I have been able to do this on Windows Phone since 8.0, and probably for a while on Android. Like @Wildo6882 said, this really bothers me the most about iOS. I'm indifferent about default apps, even though of course I would love for third party keyboards to work better.

As much as it drives me insane that I can't customize my homescreen on my iPhone (or set a flippin' default app), I'm still not leaving for Android. There are so many variables and issues that pop up with each and every Android device that it just isn't worth my time and effort to mess with it anymore. I have an iPhone that works like a charm with 95% of what I need/want it to do. I'm going to sacrifice updates, support, and stability for a little homescreen freedom? Nah. Not at this stage in my life. Yes, I know I can get fast updates with Nexus devices, but they still don't and won't have the support and stability of an iPhone. Just look at any forum talking about the Nexus 6P - issues with build quality; Bluetooth problems that still aren't sorted out 9 months into its life; Gmail notifications didn't work during Doze until about 5-6 months into its life; etc. I know things get worked out, but I don't want to be Google's Beta tester anymore. Plus, Google makes great apps for iOS - Motion Stills, anyone? I want a processor that's made specifically for my phone, and for my OS. There is NOWHERE to get all of this in one package other than iOS and with an iPhone.

Now, do I get an iPad Pro or a MacBook?!?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
As much as it drives me insane that I can't customize my homescreen on my iPhone (or set a flippin' default app), I'm still not leaving for Android. There are so many variables and issues that pop up with each and every Android device that it just isn't worth my time and effort to mess with it anymore. I have an iPhone that works like a charm with 95% of what I need/want it to do. I'm going to sacrifice updates, support, and stability for a little homescreen freedom? Nah. Not at this stage in my life. Yes, I know I can get fast updates with Nexus devices, but they still don't and won't have the support and stability of an iPhone. Just look at any forum talking about the Nexus 6P - issues with build quality; Bluetooth problems that still aren't sorted out 9 months into its life; Gmail notifications didn't work during Doze until about 5-6 months into its life; etc. I know things get worked out, but I don't want to be Google's Beta tester anymore. Plus, Google makes great apps for iOS - Motion Stills, anyone? I want a processor that's made specifically for my phone, and for my OS. There is NOWHERE to get all of this in one package other than iOS and with an iPhone.

Now, do I get an iPad Pro or a MacBook?!?

You have great points, thanks for giving me something to think about. I do agree about Google making great apps, they really do on iOS. So does Microsoft as well, lol.

As for the iPad Pro or Macbook, probably depends on what you want in a computing device.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You have great points, thanks for giving me something to think about. I do agree about Google making great apps, they really do on iOS. So does Microsoft as well, lol.

As for the iPad Pro or Macbook, probably depends on what you want in a computing device.

It honestly comes down to what you really want in a phone. There are some issues that I have with iOS and iPhones. Some are going away with iOS 10 but some will still be there. But what I do know is this - Apple takes care of their customers and supports their products. Yes, you see issues in every iOS release and every iPhone, but I almost feel like with Android, you're playing Russian Roulette. You may get a great phone, you may not. And then you have to deal with God knows what to get your issue fixed. Which isn't the case with Apple. And my life is just too busy and hectic for me to worry about that. I want a great camera, good apps, and great battery life to go along with the stability and support. Honestly, there isn't anything available other than Apple that fits that bill.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Technology is supposed to make our lives easier, and having to plan your day around charging your phone is the very opposite of making your life easier. Some of us spend more than 3 hours at a time away from home, office or car, and I have better things to do than remember to plug in my phone the moment I get indoors.

That's why I would never buy an iPhone 6S, 6 or 5S.

More than 3 hours SOT (Screen on Time) ??? Really?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods