Should I wait for the iPhone 7 or get the iPhone 6s Plus?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is very good at is making an iPhone not quite so expensive up front. It makes the price easier to digest instead of having to pay $800 up front. If that's not a great thing I don't know what is.

can you spell 0%? :) definitely a great deal!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, they call it 3D Touch. I don't think the 6 Plus will have issues with iOS 10 anymore than the other phones. They all get the same OS. 3D Touch is another issue. The 6s Plus has it. So there's that option.

Force Touch and 3D Touch are very similar so I can see where they'd be mixed up. The iPhone adds additional sensitivity to the touch, which makes it "3D" vs plain "Force" Touch. 3D Touch offer varying levels of Touch based on the pressure. Force Touch, like in the Watch, is all or nothing. Either way, it's still a great feature to have, no matter what you call it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Force Touch and 3D Touch are very similar so I can see where they'd be mixed up. The iPhone adds additional sensitivity to the touch, which makes it "3D" vs plain "Force" Touch. 3D Touch offer varying levels of Touch based on the pressure. Force Touch, like in the Watch, is all or nothing. Either way, it's still a great feature to have, no matter what you call it.

Great explanation, Robert.

GGIBS

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah but the Rumors suggest that since 2017 is 10 year anniversary of the iPhone, Apple has big plans for the update and may forgo the redesign in the iPhone 7 to await 2017. That is why I would likely do the Apple upgrade program, this way I can upgrade in 2017.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site

"Rich notifications" - one of the big new features of iOS 10 - will be available on non-3D Touch iPhones as well, according to Apple. I know there are other things available through 3D Touch, but in this instance, it won't matter whether you have it or not.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but the Rumors suggest that since 2017 is 10 year anniversary of the iPhone, Apple has big plans for the update and may forgo the redesign in the iPhone 7 to await 2017. That is why I would likely do the Apple upgrade program, this way I can upgrade in 2017.
Either way it's a good idea. Cost is minimal and the interest is 0%. Keep your money in your pocket, not someone else's :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Apple calls it 3D Touch.

wezra

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Supposedly iOS 10 Public Beta is coming out in a month (or there about) and their should be plenty of time to discern how well or if it works well with the 6 and 6s's prior to the iPhone 7 being released. I can guarantee that plenty of IMORE participants that will give feedback on the Public Beta.

I would wait until that feedback comes in and see how it works on the 6's. As mentioned in a post above, the major change will come in 2017 with a completely new form factor. If you are on a plan, like I am with T-Mobile, and can upgrade every six months... then go for the 7 as it will be more than 6 months until the completely new iPhone comes out. So no harm no foul. But if not, then I would wait until the word comes down from the Dev. and Public Beta testers as to how 10 works on the current line of phones.

Personally, I have the 6s and will most likely not upgrade to the 7 as (from what I currently understand) their will not be enough compelling changes to drive me to pay the $100 + on the JUMP program that it will cost me to upgrade this time around.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
The easy answer with Apple is always to wait when this close (three months) to an official announcement...

Then the real strain begins, If this is truly going to be a tic toc toc scenario, the 7 may not be a good upgrade choice over the 6s UNLESS there is a a standout feature for your use case. For me, the camera is a critical component - more so than voice call quality itself - so when the iPhone 6s Plus came out, I jumped from my year old 6 Plus, and switched to a one year upgradeable contract at AT&T (it was available before Apple announced their program). IF (the big if) the 7 Pro comes with 12mpxl dual lens cameras for optical zoom and stabilization, then I'm in for another upgrade. Otherwise, I may play out the hand until 2017 to see what real design innovation is all about.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
So in other words, the general consensus is to wait until the iPhone 7 comes out and then compare the 7 to the 6s to determine if the difference is worthwhile. If not, get the 6s; if yes, get the 7.

I'm sure that when the iPhone 7's details get released and we have concrete information regarding the device I'll be once again on iMore's forums asking which one I should get. I'm sure that I won't be the first one to ask.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, the two things that I want is the additional RAM, 3D Touch, and the A9 CPU. I don't do much gaming on iPhone, the most I do on my phone is an occasional game of Solitaire. The most demanding thing I do is a whole lot of NetFlix. The biggest thing I want is the additional RAM, for me the additional RAM would be a big upgrade for me since I do so much multitasking on the device. I'm a heavy mobile web browsing type of person.

The new 12-megapixel iSight camera would be pretty cool to get better pictures but I don't take many pictures. As for the 5-megapixel FaceTime HD camera, I couldn't care less about it.

wezra

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Again... in the next month or so you will see plenty of feedback from iOS 10 Beta Testers such as myself on iOS 10 on the 6 and 6s series of phones. That should give you a better feel if its as it should be on the older phones. I sure wouldn't jump in a get anything now. The 6 and 6's are great phones... nothing wrong with them.

Now... if you were asking if you should make the switch to the Samsung Gs7.... that might be another story. Sadly, Samsung has taken Apple to task in a couple areas on the phones hardware. That said, I think the 2017 iPhone will put Apple in the catbird's seat once again. Can't wait for the phone!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Now... if you were asking if you should make the switch to the Samsung Gs7.... that might be another story. Sadly, Samsung has taken Apple to task in a couple areas on the phones hardware. That said, I think the 2017 iPhone will put Apple in the catbird's seat once again. Can't wait for the phone!

He wasn't, lol.

Personally the 6S is a great line of phones and I'd imagine you'd be just fine for another year with these devices. I personally plan on keeping my 6S and waiting to see what Apple does next year. I'll probably skip this years release.

wezra

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I know he wasn't asking about Samsung... just thought I would throw that in there for the heck of it. I have been a huge supporter of Apple from the get-go. Would love to have my Apple 2C today... what a kick that would be! Love my iPhone 6s... basically the best phone I've had.
He wasn't, lol.

Personally the 6S is a great line of phones and I'd imagine you'd be just fine for another year with these devices. I personally plan on keeping my 6S and waiting to see what Apple does next year. I'll probably skip this years release.

devanm44

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
For what its worth...I did the versy same thing. Upgraded my slooooow iphone 6plus for the 6splus. IF the 7 comes out with amazing specs, I will get the most for that upgrade as well. If not, then I am rid of my slow phone and have a device that will handle ios10 better then my current device. I use my cell phone all the time to talk, surf and the apps. More RAM is needed and noticed.
But money wasnt really a factor me since I saved it up.

Good luck

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2