Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Default Re: Should I wait for the iPhone 7 or get the iPhone 6s Plus?

iPhone 6s Plus is of a different size though. But in general the wait or buy now argument is really the same. Get it now if you can't wait, or wait if you can .

Quote Originally Posted by trparky View Post
    I have an iPhone 6 Plus (non-S) 64 GB model right now and my question is (based upon rumors) if I should wait for the iPhone 7 or should I just take the plunge and get the iPhone 6s Plus. Is the iPhone 7 going to be great or is it going to be more... meh?
    Even if the upgrade is "more... meh" than the 6s Plus, it's still a year newer and going to have updates/upgrades to it. We're only 3 months out, if you can wait.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I'd rather wait till iPhone 7 is released and compare
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

There's rumors that the iPhone 7 will use much the same design that the previous iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus had. OK, so does that mean that my existing case for my iPhone 6 Plus will work with the new iPhone 7 Plus? I really like my case, it's one of those Speck CandyShell Grip cases. It usually takes a month or two for some really good cases to come out after a complete redesign.
    iMore Newbie

Actually given the recent rumors, I would even consider waiting for the iPhone 8. I have the iPhone 6 Plus like you and am seriously considering waiting. Even if I do upgrade, I will likely do so using the Apple Upgrade program so I could trade in after 12 months for a new one.
    iMore Newbie

Im happy with my 6s+ but there wont be a big redesign till the 8 comes out in 2018.
    Thats what i read at least.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #32  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GGIBS View Post
    Actually given the recent rumors, I would even consider waiting for the iPhone 8. I have the iPhone 6 Plus like you and am seriously considering waiting. Even if I do upgrade, I will likely do so using the Apple Upgrade program so I could trade in after 12 months for a new one.
    Oh yeah... It's my plan to use the Apple Upgrade Program so that I can upgrade every year. Get the iPhone 7 Plus (or whatever it's called), then a year later get the iPhone 8 (or whatever it's called).

Quote Originally Posted by i6splusguy View Post
    Im happy with my 6s+ but there wont be a big redesign till the 8 comes out in 2018.
    Thats what i read at least.
    From the rumors I'm reading, the redesign will take place in 2017 and Apple may skip the usual "s" release and go straight to an iPhone 8. We'll see!
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #34  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

But if you have the Apple Upgrade Program it doesn't matter, you get a new phone every year.

But if you have the Apple Upgrade Program it doesn't matter, you get a new phone every year.
    True. It only really matters if you plan on keeping your phone for longer than two years because you won't have a payment. I don't remember the last time I did that though.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #36  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

If there is one thing that the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is very good at, it's that you get a completely unlocked device making you a person who's not shackled to one's mobile carrier. Obviously the carriers don't like this but really who cares about that?

Another thing that the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is very good at is making an iPhone not quite so expensive up front. It makes the price easier to digest instead of having to pay $800 up front. If that's not a great thing I don't know what is.
    libra89 likes this.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #37  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

If I wait for the iPhone 7 it'll mean that I've held onto the same device for nearly two years. The only reason why I want the new phone is that it has more RAM in it. More RAM is good, I need more RAM. Oh and the Force Touch is so sweet.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

if you have a 6 plus then you should upgrade to the 7, apple fortunately has predictable cycles and to get the best off ur iphone upgrade every other year. I have a 6s plus and will wait for the 7s plus/pro or whatever they will call it.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,710 Global Posts

I'd wait. You mentioned 3D Touch being an important feature. What if the iPhone 7 (or whatever it will be called) has something you want and then you're stuck with the 6S+?

But who knows how iOS 10 is going to run on the 6 Plus. It took months to get iOS 9.x to run decently on the iPhone 6 Plus.

What really makes me want to get a new phone come September is the fact that iOS 10 has a lot of new features that depend upon Force Touch.
    Actually, they call it 3D Touch. I don't think the 6 Plus will have issues with iOS 10 anymore than the other phones. They all get the same OS. 3D Touch is another issue. The 6s Plus has it. So there's that option.

Another thing that the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is very good at is making an iPhone not quite so expensive up front. It makes the price easier to digest instead of having to pay $800 up front. If that's not a great thing I don't know what is.
    can you spell 0%? definitely a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Actually, they call it 3D Touch. I don't think the 6 Plus will have issues with iOS 10 anymore than the other phones. They all get the same OS. 3D Touch is another issue. The 6s Plus has it. So there's that option.
    Force Touch and 3D Touch are very similar so I can see where they'd be mixed up. The iPhone adds additional sensitivity to the touch, which makes it "3D" vs plain "Force" Touch. 3D Touch offer varying levels of Touch based on the pressure. Force Touch, like in the Watch, is all or nothing. Either way, it's still a great feature to have, no matter what you call it.
    Rob Phillips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    Force Touch and 3D Touch are very similar so I can see where they'd be mixed up. The iPhone adds additional sensitivity to the touch, which makes it "3D" vs plain "Force" Touch. 3D Touch offer varying levels of Touch based on the pressure. Force Touch, like in the Watch, is all or nothing. Either way, it's still a great feature to have, no matter what you call it.
    Great explanation, Robert.
    iMore Newbie

Yeah but the Rumors suggest that since 2017 is 10 year anniversary of the iPhone, Apple has big plans for the update and may forgo the redesign in the iPhone 7 to await 2017. That is why I would likely do the Apple upgrade program, this way I can upgrade in 2017.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,814 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    From the rumors I'm reading, the redesign will take place in 2017 and Apple may skip the usual "s" release and go straight to an iPhone 8. We'll see!
    That's the one I am hoping to hold out for if I can .
    iMore Newbie

7 Plus
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    901 Global Posts

"Rich notifications" - one of the big new features of iOS 10 - will be available on non-3D Touch iPhones as well, according to Apple. I know there are other things available through 3D Touch, but in this instance, it won't matter whether you have it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by GGIBS View Post
    Yeah but the Rumors suggest that since 2017 is 10 year anniversary of the iPhone, Apple has big plans for the update and may forgo the redesign in the iPhone 7 to await 2017. That is why I would likely do the Apple upgrade program, this way I can upgrade in 2017.
    Either way it's a good idea. Cost is minimal and the interest is 0%. Keep your money in your pocket, not someone else's

Apple calls it 3D Touch.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

Supposedly iOS 10 Public Beta is coming out in a month (or there about) and their should be plenty of time to discern how well or if it works well with the 6 and 6s's prior to the iPhone 7 being released. I can guarantee that plenty of IMORE participants that will give feedback on the Public Beta.

I would wait until that feedback comes in and see how it works on the 6's. As mentioned in a post above, the major change will come in 2017 with a completely new form factor. If you are on a plan, like I am with T-Mobile, and can upgrade every six months... then go for the 7 as it will be more than 6 months until the completely new iPhone comes out. So no harm no foul. But if not, then I would wait until the word comes down from the Dev. and Public Beta testers as to how 10 works on the current line of phones.

Personally, I have the 6s and will most likely not upgrade to the 7 as (from what I currently understand) their will not be enough compelling changes to drive me to pay the $100 + on the JUMP program that it will cost me to upgrade this time around.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast