Are memory cleaning apps like this legit?

Loco Emperor

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
So I had been having some issues with my phone using a lot of storage from the start even with very little apps on it. Apps like tinder use like 1.6 Gb while logged in but when logged out the storage changed.

I downloaded this memory app and it seems to work as it basically got rid of junk files and brought me up to 7 Gb from 5.3 GB

Are apps like this legit? It reminds me of my android days and how the android fans try to say you don't need a task killer (you did) but others say you did.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1466326114.965738.jpg

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a strange situation. I don't believe that I have ever heard of an apps storage use changing depending on if it's open or not. System memory will change but not storage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard of that.

That being said I have never found a need for any of these types of apps. I've used both iOS and android extensively and can certainly tell you that you do not need a task killer on either system. As long as you are running apps for App Store(iOS) or Play Store(android) you should let the OS manage the memory. Most times these "task killers" do more harm than good.

It sounds like you are spending a lot of time managing storage. That would make me crazy. I hope you get it figured out. I'm not sure how long you have had your phone but, is it too late to exchange your phone for one with a respectable storage?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They will delete cache and junk files. I've found Battery Doctor helpful. Some will argue the side effects. But I don't notice any.

judgetom

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
iOS manages RAM real well. Not sure about cache and "other" stuff.

Apple automatically clears the cache of your entire iOS device. And this is possible when:

You are updating your current device from one iOS firmware to another.

or

Your storage is full and there is no way you can install any other apps or games.

Another solution is using some apps - one of those Ledsteplin already mentioned in one of his previous posts.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I remember using an app back when I had a16gb iphone and needed to clear out some space. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called but it worked to clear downloaded items and app cache. Never had issues with it draining battery.

Pats1991

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes I'll see my storage randomly go up and I did nothing. I figure it's just the system doing its thing no need for cache cleaners.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple automatically clears the cache of your entire iOS device. And this is possible when:

You are updating your current device from one iOS firmware to another.

or

Your storage is full and there is no way you can install any other apps or games.

Another solution is using some apps - one of those Ledsteplin already mentioned in one of his previous posts.

Apparently not enough. I had more with my old iPhone 5. Not so much with my 6s Plus. It also reduces cache in apps like Tweetbot.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My TapaTalk app has gotten up to 1.5 gb. Facebook has been 1.0 gb. Some do grow quite a bit with cache.

I guess I misunderstood. I understand cache storage growing. I interpreted that as meaning when he's logged in and using the app the storage jumps to around 1.6 GB and then drops when he logs out. Cache storage doesn't clear by simply logging out of the application. I assumed he was saying that by simply using the app the storage jumps that high.

My bad.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Battery doctor clears it all out for you?

It depends on the app. TapaTalk has it's own delete cache option in its Settings. It will delete some Facebook cache. But Facebook has made it difficult. The easiest way with Facebook is to sign out of the app, then sign back in. That gets rid of most of it. Deleting the app does better. I first used C M Security. The first time it added almost 1.5 gb of available storage. That was a lot of cache and junk files. Today on my 6s Plus, I'll be notified by Battery Doctor about once every 4 days or so. But it's usually not much. Maybe 100 mb. It was more an issue with my 16 gb IPhone 5.

Trooper27

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
It depends on the app. TapaTalk has it's own delete cache option in its Settings. It will delete some Facebook cache. But Facebook has made it difficult. The easiest way with Facebook is to sign out of the app, then sign back in. That gets rid of most of it. Deleting the app does better. I first used C M Security. The first time it added almost 1.5 gb of available storage. That was a lot of cache and junk files. Today on my 6s Plus, I'll be notified by Battery Doctor about once every 4 days or so. But it's usually not much. Maybe 100 mb. It was more an issue with my 16 gb IPhone 5.

Good to know. I usually never trust apps like this, but hmm.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded this memory app and it seems to work as it basically got rid of junk files and brought me up to 7 Gb from 5.3 GB

Are apps like this legit?]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all iOS apps were "sandboxed" and couldn't modify anything outside of their own space?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all iOS apps were "sandboxed" and couldn't modify anything outside of their own space?
How it works is it expands to take a lot of the storage space, pushing out the cache and junk files.

Keith Morris

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the mentioned app for a few months now. I had the same problem with apps like Facebook and Spotify constantly growing in cache files and although I have a 64gb iPhone, wanted to see if I could manage the storage myself.

I have had no issues with this app at all, and it does seem to reduce the cache files down.
I've heard that iOS will handle the files but I have not seen any evidence of this.

It's been easier than deleting and restoring apps every few months 👍🏻

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner