My trips to the dark side and back again

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I've been an android user for about 8 years. Switched to iPhone just this past Saturday and I'm hooked. No regrets at all with my decision!

Last edited:

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been an android user for about 8 years. Switched to iPhone just this past Saturday and I'm hooked. No regrets at all with my decision!

I had to do a double take to see if I wrote this comment, lol. Same situation, just got the 6S+ on Saturday after 8 years on Android and almost every flagship phone. The Note 7 is haunting me a little bit, just because I'm so used to getting the newest Samsung phone. But I keep telling myself that within a month or 2 it'll be running like every other Samsung phone with Android and TW. I'm happy with my move to iOS and plan on staying.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I will always be a CrackBerrian and be in this community, just need some time away from the devices associated with it

Blackberry Hub is available for Android Devices. I am currently running it on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Albeit, it will cost 0.99 a month after the free trial is over. (one month).

It seems to work great so far.

Run it on the forthcoming Note 7..... and you would have quite the productivity monster?

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I had to do a double take to see if I wrote this comment, lol. Same situation, just got the 6S+ on Saturday after 8 years on Android and almost every flagship phone. The Note 7 is haunting me a little bit, just because I'm so used to getting the newest Samsung phone. But I keep telling myself that within a month or 2 it'll be running like every other Samsung phone with Android and TW. I'm happy with my move to iOS and plan on staying.

Lol. I've owned pretty much every Samsung line of S's and Notes. Then I tried iPhone. I'm not going back. One thing I absolutely love is that all Apple devices get the software update and after moving my documents and pictures to the iPhone....it was by far the easiest thing ever. It was completely hassle free! Android file transfer is such a pain and the process takes forever. I uploaded over 8000 pictures in less than 5 minutes (I still have a whole bunch more to go so then I can move them to iCloud). This alone sold me.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I left android for good earlier this year. Tried the nexus 6p and compared to my lumia 950 and now my iPhone 6s Plus, the nexus just felt like a half baked OS with steroids. Used android since 2008 and it's such a horrid experience and every time a new version comes out I go well maybe it'll
Be better. Nope. No me gusta.

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I started my smartphone life as a Blackberry user. From the moment I started using them, I loved them. They were simple to use, quick to figure out and get around and durable as all hell. I kept a case on mine not for the fear of the screen cracking (they didnt have touch screens when I first started with them) but just to keep it looking nice. I went through a few variations starting with the Pearl Flip, then to the first Curve, and from then I kept within the curve series up until the Curve 9350. It was a great phone honestly. Durable as a tank, made calls just fine, did facebook, etc. However the screen size, the limited RAM and CPU power were getting really noticeable. BB was really falling behind the times with such things. This, along with the fact that I accidentally spilled coffee on it prompted my switch. That was to Android.

My first and only Android was the LG Optimus G. Was a solid phone, never really had any issues with it. Had a nice screen, the layout of the interface was acceptable. Took me a bit to figure out how to get around it, but all in all not a bad experience. What really turned me away from it was the lack of updates to android. I had it for a standard contract term of two years and never got even one update (if I remember correctly.) Similarly to the BB, those things seemed to lose support almost as soon as they came out. I talked to other android users and they didnt have much better to say about it. Then was my move to iPhone.

Just before I decided to give up my android, I talked to a few of my friends who used iPhone along with did a fair amount of internet research on them. After about a week of research and thinking it over, I went and got my first iPhone which was a Space Grey 32GB 5s. I immediately fell in love with it. The feel in my hand. It felt much more solid and well built than the LG even though it was smaller by .7" The smaller screen didnt seem to bother me as much as I thought it would. The interface was so much smoother and refined and everything just seemed to work. I really loved the pull down notification center, especially once the ability to add widgets got added in and the control center that you pulled up from the bottom. Everything was right there and easy to use.

I have stayed with iPhone since. I started out with the 5s, now I have the 6s Plus 64GB in Space Grey (cant stand white phones.) I dont think Ill ever go back, though honestly with this about Apple removing the 3.5mm jack from the iPhone 7 has soured it a bit for me, though not enough to make me turn right back around to Android again.

Curiously, did anyone else around here start with or have a Blackberry at one time or another?

BlackBerry was my first smart phone. I loved it! Then I went Android. Now I'm iPhone. Not going back lol

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site

I'm trying to hold off on buying the note 7 but don't know if I can do it. I love the iphone and have used it pretty much exclusively since the iphone plus came out. But man, if you put a note 7 next to an iphone and look at the bezels and the design they iphone just looks dated and the note screen is great. I always used the s pen quite a bit too. I just always had problems with android after 8 to 12 months.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying to hold off on buying the note 7 but don't know if I can do it. I love the iphone and have used it pretty much exclusively since the iphone plus came out. But man, if you put a note 7 next to an iphone and look at the bezels and the design they iphone just looks dated and the note screen is great. I always used the s pen quite a bit too. I just always had problems with android after 8 to 12 months.

No doubt about it, Samsung has the nicest looking hardware. That's what kept me buying them. But I finally got sick of Android and TouchWiz. I decided I'd rather sacrifice the look of my phone for usability.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Those saying the android experience gets worse after a few months. Here's a tip.

Don't use themes or icon packs
Don't switch launchers
Don't root or load ROMs
No customizing period.

Just leave it stock... in other words. Pretend its an iPhone. It is what it is.

Problem solved. :)

ChrisS9938

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
My first smartphone was a Blackberry storm 2. I it's in the basement and if I charged it up and set up service, it would work today. And it's been to the bottom of a pool. When people say blackberrys are tanks, they are not kidding. Incredibly tough phones. However, I saw the blackberry slide happening and they did not release a storm 3 (this is the world before upgrades, you just kept your phone until you bought a new one).

We went in to buy new phones. My wife wanted an iPhone 4 and nothing else. I was wooed by the then brand-new 4g LTE from Verizon. There were 3 4g phones. The LG Revolution, HTC Thunderer, and another. The LG was the cheapest and I went with it. Like Apple, all BlackBerrys updated OS. And being a Crackberry user, I popped over to Android Central. I was shocked to find my Revo had an old OS AND it never upgraded. LG decided not to support it. My wife got update after update while I got nothing. The OS crippled the 4g as well. Then the event happened that had the greatest impact on my mobile life.
The BlackBerry Z10 was coming out. It was a touchscreen BB like my old storm. And I was getting it. It would be my birthday present. My wife wanted to keep her 4, so I could splurge. Then.... Her home key died. Tragedy! She needed a phone too and the BB was no longer in the budget. Not willing to touch an Android, I "settled" for a 4s. (5 was the premium at the time). She got one as well and once I re-loaded apps (back then you were lucky if your contacts transferred) I was off.... And I was hooked! Apple was so easy! iOS ran smoothly and was always up to date. I loved my little 4s so much I used it right up until it ran out of memory. Like my Storm 2, it earned a place of honor in the basement.
My wife and I talked it over (her power button was dead) and decided to use the new 24 month pay,net program to upgrade. We were going Apple, we were going 6 (newest at the time) and we were going 64 gb. And we did. Two 6's and a 5s for my oldest son. Even ended up with an iPad mini ($100 offer).

I still have my 6. I still love my 6 1 1/2 years later. I don't feel like my phone is inadequate in any way for its time. And there's the rub. At some point I will upgrade. I want a big phone next time. And Apple is just not impressing. The droid boys offer shatter proof screens, waterproof phones, wireless charging, Awesome cameras. And Apple? My wife just got a 6s through insurance (my wife is hard on phones) and I can't say any feature on it would make me want it. Same with what I've seen on the 7. It's ok, but it feels like Apple is offering last years Android. Great OS, but antiquated hardware. I'm seriously considering jumping.
Apple has a chance though. My financial situation dictates I do nothing for as long as possible. If my old 6 keeps plugging along, I'll probably stick with it. That could push replacement into the next gen or beyond. I want an iPhone with waterproofing and wireless charging. If Apple can't deliver, I may jump until they do.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Those saying the android experience gets worse after a few months. Here's a tip.

Don't switch launchers
Don't root or load ROMs
No customizing period.

LOL but that's the main argument from Android users. So if you're saying not to do any of that then there's no point in switching to Android from iOS.

That defeats the whole purpose and mantra of Android. "Together But not the same!"

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
LOL but that's the main argument from Android users. So if you're saying not to do any of that then there's no point in switching to Android from iOS.

That defeats the whole purpose and mantra of Android. "Together But not the same!"

It was hardware for me. IP68, OLED screen, wireless charging, minimal bezel.

Not into the customization thing.... no biggie, as an iPhone user, I am use to it. :)

rong21

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site

Don't switch launchers
Don't root or load ROMs
No customizing period.

This! Once I started leaving things alone I never have issues with Android. My first smart phone was a Galaxy S3. I rooted it and flashed ROM's. It was never the same even after restoring to stock.

iOS is a great platform, I have an iPad mini and it works. My Nexus 7 tablet turned to crap after the Lollipop release. That version of the Nexus 7 tablet should have never been allowed to upgrade.

Next venture is a 6s+. I have an S7 Edge and Nexus 6P but have to try out the iPhone to see what the fuss is all about.

anon(9408097)

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Two things ive noticed mostly on these forums.
Most people equate the android experience with using a Samsung phone. And secondly, they use the 'it just works' argument quite a lot.

I've been an iPhone user since the beginning. Got sick of the same sounds same look same colors after the 5s. Switched to android. Went through almost all major flagships (Samsung, Sony, HTC, Nexus, Motorola). And because I change phones often, I thought why not give iOS10 a try. And sadly, there's no one more disappointed in iOS 10 than I am. Its the biggest iOS update since 7, and still it changes nothing for me. However. Here's what I've learned during my Android time.

Samsungs Android isn't android. Its the Samsung experience. And thats what they want it to be. You either love it or hate it. But no one can deny the objective facts that features like fast charging wireless charging water proofing amazing screen are good to have. And they're practical and very very useful as well. However, Samsungs software experience isn't all that good. It is not the android experience!

If you want the true android experience, use HTC, Sony or the nexus phones. Using HTC phones will tell you how similar both iPhones and HTC phones are. The One M8 was the phone which made me fall in love with Android. Sony phones made me love it even more. But Samsung made me fall out of it. So if you want to go Android, go towards non-samsung devices.

Secondly, the 'iPhone just works' argument could be applicable 3 years ago. Because I have used all phones (and I mean all flagships as daily drivers) and trust me, they all 'just work' like the iPhone works. And phones like HTC 10 work faster and better even.

After using android phones for 3 years, switching back to iPhone was horrifying. But, I felt nothing. The transition was smooth and easy. Now, Vanilla android and IOS are almost the same. The core experience is the same. Apps work the same. There are widgets on both platforms. They're all fast.

With android, you get variety. Some of them are bad some of them are good. Depends on what you want in a phone. Depends on price.

With Apple, you get ONE good phone. And thats it.

And there's nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with either platforms. I really thought the transition would be a difficult one but it wasn't. And im sure going back wouldn't be difficult either.

Whether one accepts it or not, the core experience is the same on both sides. We have reached a stage where all flagships are amazing. I don't want to go into the specific phones. But this debate is an out-dated one to say the least. And those sticking by their judgements based on experiences of 2 years ago or even later, you're not very informed because the game has changed. Completely.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Two things ive noticed mostly on these forums.
Most people equate the android experience with using a Samsung phone. And secondly, they use the 'it just works' argument quite a lot.

I've been an iPhone user since the beginning. Got sick of the same sounds same look same colors after the 5s. Switched to android. Went through almost all major flagships (Samsung, Sony, HTC, Nexus, Motorola). And because I change phones often, I thought why not give iOS10 a try. And sadly, there's no one more disappointed in iOS 10 than I am. Its the biggest iOS update since 7, and still it changes nothing for me. However. Here's what I've learned during my Android time.

Samsungs Android isn't android. Its the Samsung experience. And thats what they want it to be. You either love it or hate it. But no one can deny the objective facts that features like fast charging wireless charging water proofing amazing screen are good to have. And they're practical and very very useful as well. However, Samsungs software experience isn't all that good. It is not the android experience!

If you want the true android experience, use HTC, Sony or the nexus phones. Using HTC phones will tell you how similar both iPhones and HTC phones are. The One M8 was the phone which made me fall in love with Android. Sony phones made me love it even more. But Samsung made me fall out of it. So if you want to go Android, go towards non-samsung devices.

Secondly, the 'iPhone just works' argument could be applicable 3 years ago. Because I have used all phones (and I mean all flagships as daily drivers) and trust me, they all 'just work' like the iPhone works. And phones like HTC 10 work faster and better even.

After using android phones for 3 years, switching back to iPhone was horrifying. But, I felt nothing. The transition was smooth and easy. Now, Vanilla android and IOS are almost the same. The core experience is the same. Apps work the same. There are widgets on both platforms. They're all fast.

With android, you get variety. Some of them are bad some of them are good. Depends on what you want in a phone. Depends on price.

With Apple, you get ONE good phone. And thats it.

And there's nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with either platforms. I really thought the transition would be a difficult one but it wasn't. And im sure going back wouldn't be difficult either.

Whether one accepts it or not, the core experience is the same on both sides. We have reached a stage where all flagships are amazing. I don't want to go into the specific phones. But this debate is an out-dated one to say the least. And those sticking by their judgements based on experiences of 2 years ago or even later, you're not very informed because the game has changed. Completely.

I agree the "it just works" mantra is outdated now. For me though there are just little things in iOS that put it over the top for me versus Android.

I've used 5 Nexus 6Ps over the last year trying to switch back to Android and while I love the hardware and Marshmallow is the best version of Android yet (also tried Nougat DP4) for some reason I just can't switch.

It also doesn't help that I'm using an Watch which I freaking love! But there's one thing that drove me crazy and I couldn't find a solution on google or the forums but the Android Lockscreen controls for Music is horrible. You have no granular control over your music if you want to scrub through a song. Another thing that bugged me was the severe lack of apps that supported fingerprint and lack of Android Pay support also.

I do have admit Android has come a long long way since my days of using it from Froyo to Jellybean.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. My last attempt at android was last year with the Galaxy S6. I tried it for a week or so, but came back to iOS. iOS works best for me, even though I like aspects of both platforms. I decided to stay with iOS for a while before trying again. My thing now is trying to decide which iPhone I want! I have the 6s, tried the SE for about a week or so when it first came out, but it was just a little too small. Now thinking I want to go back to the 6s Plus. Decisions decisions! :)

You'll love the 6s Plus!

The bigger and better display + battery life is a win for me.

Good luck!!

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
You guys will probably think I'm crazy, but I caved and ordered the Note 7. I know I've been posting about how after 8 years on Android I got tired of it and was going to stick to the iphone.. But after checking out the Note 7 in Best Buy, I can honestly say that it is leagues ahead of any other Android phone. I couldn't believe how smooth it was. Not to mention the obvious beauty of the device itself. Nothing will beat the ease of use of the iPhone and the smoothness of what it does. But if Android can get close to it with all the added features, it's going to be tough to choose.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
You guys will probably think I'm crazy, but I caved and ordered the Note 7. I know I've been posting about how after 8 years on Android I got tired of it and was going to stick to the iphone.. But after checking out the Note 7 in Best Buy, I can honestly say that it is leagues ahead of any other Android phone. I couldn't believe how smooth it was. Not to mention the obvious beauty of the device itself. Nothing will beat the ease of use of the iPhone and the smoothness of what it does. But if Android can get close to it with all the added features, it's going to be tough to choose.

Trust me, after a few weeks you'll miss iOS. I got bored of the iPhone 5 and tried the Note 3 for a few months.. Got annoyed by Android and went back to the iPhone 6 for a year. Got bored of the 6 again.. and decided to try the Note 5 which looks beautiful.. 1 month later I got myself the 6s Plus..

Very happy since. Just my 2cents.

Enjoy the Note 7! It is very sexy!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal