Upgrade to 6s Plus or wait

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a 6 Plus (16gb) & I'm Jump Eligible.

The main reason to upgrade is to get more space - between pictures and other file types, 16GB just isn't cutting it.

Do I wait until the possibility of an iPhone 7Plus or just upgrade now?

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

The main reason to upgrade is to get more space - between pictures and other file types, 16GB just isn't cutting it.

That's a tough decision. If you keep waiting for the newest and greatest you'll be forever waiting. I understand where you're coming from though, 16 gigs just doesn't get it with todays smart phones. It's not as bad in the iOS world as it is in android where it seems there's a new phone every few months. In short, I'd say go for it now. You certainly won't regret it. Unless the 7 is out of this world, which with my luck it probably will be and I'll just have to have it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There will be an iPhone 7 and I would be shocked if they stepped away from the larger screen of the Plus. That being said, you won't see an iPhone 7 until September (most likely).
The 6s Plus is a great device that will serve you well but if you're like me and always want the latest and greatest then wait.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

If the reason is storage, then yes, it's probably in your interest to upgrade now and I'd recommend doing so.

The 6S/6S+ is a nice jump from the 6/6+, especially with the 2GB of RAM - makes a huge difference in day-to-day usage. But, you're getting closer to what would be a mid-cycle update, which bothers some people. It wouldn't bother me as I tend to like S-cycle releases anyways, and if I needed a new iPhone now, I'd get one (if it was July or August, though, not so much - I'd wait if at all possible). If you do bite the bullet and upgrade now, the current 6S/6S+ would continue to serve you well into the future and whatever S-cycle comes out in the Fall of 2017 though...

In the alternative to using your jump upgrade now, have you looked into purchasing a used 6+/6S+ on sites like swappa or Glyde? On swappa right now (10:00 a.m. Eastern on March 7), the low price on a T-Mobile specific 64GB 6+ is $510 and $630 on a 64GB 6S+. You would have to pay in full, but you could sell your current 6+ to offset some of the cost now. This option could get you the storage you need now while reserving your Jump for the 7/7+ this Fall.

As to the possibility of a 7/7+, I'd say it is a near certainty that there will be a 7+ - I don't see Apple moving away from the phablet territory given the popularity of the 6+/6S+.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Personally I would wait for the 7 to make its appearance. I currently have a 6 and would now like a Plus, but I will wait until September and be fully upgraded then. Storage size would be the only thing that would make me purchase one now.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
If you are paying for JUMP, you might as well use it. Otherwise you are just paying T-mobile for no reason. (They might have changed the terms since the last time I looked at it)

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
question is. can you deal with 16GB of storage until October? That is 8 Months away. a long time.
if not upgrade and grab the 7 March of next year. there will be plenty in stock and they will have kinks worked out by then.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
There will be an iPhone 7 and I would be shocked if they stepped away from the larger screen of the Plus. That being said, you won't see an iPhone 7 until September (most likely).

This.

If you can wait til fall to actually get your hands on it, then wait. But if it were me I'd probably be pulling my hair out with only 16gb and would want to upgrade now.

You could always hang on to your 6, and if down the road Apple announces something amazing for the 7, go back to using your 6 and try to sell the 6S to get the 7...but I'm just spitballing. Ultimately if you keep waiting, there will always be something amazing around the corner.

Pull the trigger now, you won't regret the 6S+

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
If the reason is storage, then yes, it's probably in your interest to upgrade now and I'd recommend doing so.

The 6S/6S+ is a nice jump from the 6/6+, especially with the 2GB of RAM - makes a huge difference in day-to-day usage. But, you're getting closer to what would be a mid-cycle update, which bothers some people. It wouldn't bother me as I tend to like S-cycle releases anyways, and if I needed a new iPhone now, I'd get one (if it was July or August, though, not so much - I'd wait if at all possible). If you do bite the bullet and upgrade now, the current 6S/6S+ would continue to serve you well into the future and whatever S-cycle comes out in the Fall of 2017 though...

In the alternative to using your jump upgrade now, have you looked into purchasing a used 6+/6S+ on sites like swappa or Glyde? On swappa right now (10:00 a.m. Eastern on March 7), the low price on a T-Mobile specific 64GB 6+ is $510 and $630 on a 64GB 6S+. You would have to pay in full, but you could sell your current 6+ to offset some of the cost now. This option could get you the storage you need now while reserving your Jump for the 7/7+ this Fall.

As to the possibility of a 7/7+, I'd say it is a near certainty that there will be a 7+ - I don't see Apple moving away from the phablet territory given the popularity of the 6+/6S+.

This is good advice too...

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
While the 6s Plus is better than the 6 Plus in every way, you are now half way through the upgrade cycle for Apple. My honest opinion is to wait for the next phone at this point. You could always use Dropbox, Onedrive or Google Photos to manage your photos on the cloud. I wouldn't want to be 6 months into last years model when the latest and greatest is released.

Rmedy21

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

I just left my Note 4 for the iPhone 6s Plus. I have the 128gig. So far I'm enjoying it I. One thing I do know is that the battery life is great.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2