Anyone considering Galaxy s7 edge ?

rviyer

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I have used the S7 for the last 4 months after switching from a 6s plus. I want to switch back. The biggest disappointment is the the constant battery decay even when the phone is unused (on standby) in my pocket. Other small issues include app quality differences between iOS and Android (ex. Facebook) and small niggles (needing extra button presses to make a call of a Favorites for example). I do like the screen though.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have used the S7 for the last 4 months after switching from a 6s plus. I want to switch back. The biggest disappointment is the the constant battery decay even when the phone is unused (on standby) in my pocket. Other small issues include app quality differences between iOS and Android (ex. Facebook) and small niggles (needing extra button presses to make a call of a Favorites for example). I do like the screen though.

Nothing beats AMOLED imo.

Might as well wait for the 7 and then you can come back

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Some people can put up with the multi-platform compromises you need to make to switch between ecosystems, but like you i'm not really one of them.

I agree, even though you don't like the Tigers

Truthfully, I have a career, support a family, and I'm very busy with other things. Apple works, easily and efficiently. The time I have with my devices I like to spend creating and consuming, not balancing multiple ecosystems. It just works!

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree, even though you don't like the Tigers

Truthfully, I have a career, support a family, and I'm very busy with other things. Apple works, easily and efficiently. The time I have with my devices I like to spend creating and consuming, not balancing multiple ecosystems. It just works!
Right. I have a pretty heft FAN account and my whole immediate family is on it, so I wind up doing a ton of IT type stuff. Thank goodness all the iOS devices work the same.

Also, I'm supposed to like the White Sox, but I kind of hate that whole organization right now.

bigsmoke79

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I've only just got my 6s plus 128gb a week and I love it (came from a Nexus 6p) and have had Android devices for last 5 years.

I will admit I love the note 7 and will no doubt own one at somepoint however I can't justify spending ?739 on a phone! especially as android phones drop so quickly in price! I got my 6s+ 128gb for ?500 (which is a bargain) so I am happy enough for now

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've only just got my 6s plus 128gb a week and I love it (came from a Nexus 6p) and have had Android devices for last 5 years.

I will admit I love the note 7 and will no doubt own one at somepoint however I can't justify spending ?739 on a phone! especially as android phones drop so quickly in price! I got my 6s+ 128gb for ?500 (which is a bargain) so I am happy enough for now

How was the 6P compared to the 6s+?

I am thinking of getting one

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

This may be the best single point about the Note 7 vs other devices. I'm not sure what the OnePlus 2 costs in Europe, but it's really hard to justify such a high price for a Samsung device when Android devices are available for so much less.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Had the 6P for a while. The software is pretty good, but the hardware is just so second rate. The Wi-Fi would cut out for no reason or I would be in downtown Austin and the device would switch to 4G and never come back to LTE.

It's probably the best all around implementation of Android IMHO, but it's still a big compromise on hardware.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Had the 6P for a while. The software is pretty good, but the hardware is just so second rate. The Wi-Fi would cut out for no reason or I would be in downtown Austin and the device would switch to 4G and never come back to LTE.

It's probably the best all around implementation of Android IMHO, but it's still a big compromise on hardware.

Did it slow down at all over time? Did you have to reboot from time to time?

My experience with the Note line was terrible. Performance slowed down significantly over a short time period. Lags, crashes, freezes, etc..

Very interested in the 6P

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Did it slow down at all over time? Did you have to reboot from time to time?

My experience with the Note line was terrible. Performance slowed down significantly over a short time period. Lags, crashes, freezes, etc..

Very interested in the 6P

I didn't really have any complaints about the Nexus performance. Android in a Nexus is a fine OS (and the only true implementation, IMHO). The default launcher was smooth and the OS performance was great. The problem for me were tied to the actual behavior of some of the hardware. The worst by far was the backlight. The ambient light sensor on the 6P is horrible. You can turn it on in the dark and the thing will flicker like crazy light-dark-light-dark, all while sitting in the dark.

I loved the 6P when I got it, but little things essentially "nickeled and dimed" the experience to death. Disappointing. I'm planning on sticking with iOS until a premium Pixel phone comes out (if it ever even does).

bigsmoke79

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

The 6P is a great handset and being stock android is butter smooth, I was running the N beta and really liked it.

Pros
Slightly bigger screen than the 6s+ but taller
Front Facing speakers are very good
USB C fast charge
Quad HD Amoled Screen is fantastic
Monthly Security Updates

Cons
Battery life I was getting about 3-4 OST
SMS apps aren't upto iMessage standard
Good camera but slow and not many options

Unless you buy direct from Google customer service isn't a patch on Apples

Both are great handsets, just thought it was time to try iOS again for me. Battery life is a big issue for me and getting nearly double the SOT on the 6s+ has been a big win for me.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The 6P is a great handset and being stock android is butter smooth, I was running the N beta and really liked it.

Pros
Slightly bigger screen than the 6s+ but taller
Front Facing speakers are very good
USB C fast charge
Quad HD Amoled Screen is fantastic
Monthly Security Updates

Cons
Battery life I was getting about 3-4 OST
SMS apps aren't upto iMessage standard
Good camera but slow and not many options

Unless you buy direct from Google customer service isn't a patch on Apples

Both are great handsets, just thought it was time to try iOS again for me. Battery life is a big issue for me and getting nearly double the SOT on the 6s+ has been a big win for me.

Thank you!

I was getting terrible SOT too on my Note 5 and was very impressed with the 6s+ battery life.

Now I'm deciding whether to wait for the new Nexus or get the 6P now to be my secondary phone.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!

I was getting terrible SOT too on my Note 5 and was very impressed with the 6s+ battery life.

Now I'm deciding whether to wait for the new Nexus or get the 6P now to be my secondary phone.

I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the Note 7 or iPhone 7 plus. I've decided I am only going to do one or the other. So I decided to do a little experiment.

This morning I used my Note 5 that I have as a second phone for when I want to play around with android. I used it as my daily driver on a normal day at work.

Generally when I leave work I am at 70% battery left on my iPhone 6s Plus, however on the Note 5 I was at 50% by lunch time. As nice as the phone is, battery life is nowhere near my 6s+. I noticed it first thing this morning when I left the house, my iPhone is around 99% while the note was at 93%.

So I've decided to upgrade to the iPhone 7 plus. As nice of a phone as the N7 is, the software drains the battery far to quickly. Glad it's not just me noticing this.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the Note 7 or iPhone 7 plus. I've decided I am only going to do one or the other. So I decided to do a little experiment.

This morning I used my Note 5 that I have as a second phone for when I want to play around with android. I used it as my daily driver on a normal day at work.

Generally when I leave work I am at 70% battery left on my iPhone 6s Plus, however on the Note 5 I was at 50% by lunch time. As nice as the phone is, battery life is nowhere near my 6s+. I noticed it first thing this morning when I left the house, my iPhone is around 99% while the note was at 93%.

So I've decided to upgrade to the iPhone 7 plus. As nice of a phone as the N7 is, the software drains the battery far to quickly. Glad it's not just me noticing this.

Yes the software drains the battery far quickly. It is also because of the 2K screen on the Note compared to the 1080p on the 6s Plus.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes the software drains the battery far quickly. It is also because of the 2K screen on the Note compared to the 1080p on the 6s Plus.

For sure, I realize it's not comparing apples to apples. However the phone drains far too quickly with screen off in standby mode.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

If battery life is your number one priority.... then good for you.

I would point out that your test comparison was with the Note 5 and 6S Plus. Not the Note 7.

Is that a good measuring stick for the Note 7? or another phone that is not in your possession?

The Note 5 Battery is 3,020mAh. Note 7 3,500mAh

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Why do you have to switch back and forth? I enjoy both at the same time. Right now I have an s7 Active an iPhone 5s, a Note 4 and an iPad Pro 12.9.

I love tech!

I feel the same as you, but there's really no point for me to have two lines active, all so that I can appear to have the best of both worlds. I'm not saying that it is you, I'm saying that as a general statement. I switch back and forth often. I find it fun to try different phones so my sim gets a lot of movement.

Even if I was to get another line, I know my habits very well. That second phone will just be sitting on my desk. It sounds like you might have more than one line.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR