New apple user, what is Apple ID?

SoundofReason

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone! I just bought a iPhone and now I need to make an Apple ID

I am assuming that it is for apps and stuff, but I always have a hard time coming up for names for this kind of stuff. Can I change the name of it later if I do not like it? On android, you use your google email address for apps and once it's made, you cannot change it so if you want to go back,you have to repurchase all the apps on a different email. Will anyone see the Apple ID?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Your Apple ID is paired to an email address and can be changed at any time as long as you use a third party email address (anything but @me.com, @icloud.com or @mac.com). More information here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667
Nobody should be able to see it unless you share it with them.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The part I have found odd is that Apple doesn't allow users to make their Apple ID an @icloud.com email address and some has suggested its for security but I don't buy that at all because you can easily set up a secondary unrelated email account as your backup just like you do with say Gmail, YMail, Outlook.com etc.

I think its because Apple has failed at cloud services, their integration and how they manage it. They simply do not spend the R&D on software and services like they should and focus solely on hardware and its huge profits. I get it hardware does generate huge profits, but Google has gone the reverse and makes huge profits off of everything else and lets others try and make a profit on hardware with their OS.

Profit aside Apple should be focused on delivering a full service solution and not cobbling together disparate resources and failing at them to boot. Their core apps on Mac OS X, and iOS are horrible and haven't seen real updates in ages, iCloud could be and SHOULD be the central repository for users and their iCloud services.

I would like to centralize my email, calendar, contacts, apple id log in etc but Apple just can't get it right.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I think you can use iCloud email. You just can't use it to back up a 3rd party email. My wife uses her iCloud email ID with iCloud, iMessage and Facetime. But uses my email address for iTunes, which we share. I know many who use their iCloud email with their Apple ID.

mr_coldharbour

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone! I just bought a iPhone and now I need to make an Apple ID

I am assuming that it is for apps and stuff, but I always have a hard time coming up for names for this kind of stuff. Can I change the name of it later if I do not like it? On android, you use your google email address for apps and once it's made, you cannot change it so if you want to go back,you have to repurchase all the apps on a different email. Will anyone see the Apple ID?

Welcome to iMore. Yes, an Apple ID is for downloading/purchasing apps, games, movies, songs and books. It is also sort of like your identifier so you can use built-in services like iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud email and Game Center. It takes form of an email address as some have already mentioned, and it cannot be altered afterwards, once you set it up it stays for good and is personal to you.

Actually, I think you can use iCloud email for the iCloud, iMessage and Facetime. You just can't for iTunes. My wife uses her iCloud email ID with iCloud, iMessage and Facetime. But uses my email address for iTunes, which we share.

Actually yes you can use an iCloud email for iTunes. If you've happened to create your first Apple ID in recent years it can be used for all services, iTunes included. Though, if like me and you've had your Apple ID for over 10yrs then it can be used for everything except for iCloud email. Strange I know, but any creation of an Apple ID no matter how old or recent it may be can always be used for iTunes, as that was the intent of an Apple ID back then and still is (I remember it being referred to as an iTunes/Mac account if I remember correctly).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. Yes, an Apple ID is for downloading/purchasing apps, games, movies, songs and books. It is also sort of like your identifier so you can use built-in services like iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud email and Game Center. It takes form of an email address as some have already mentioned, and it cannot be altered afterwards, once you set it up it stays for good and is personal to you.

Actually yes you can use an iCloud email for iTunes. If you've happened to create your first Apple ID in recent years it can be used for all services, iTunes included. Though, if like me and you've had your Apple ID for over 10yrs then it can be used for everything except for iCloud email. Strange I know, but any creation of an Apple ID no matter how old or recent it may be can always be used for iTunes, as that was the intent of an Apple ID back then and still is (I remember it being referred to as an iTunes/Mac account if I remember correctly).

Yes, I changed that. I was thinking backwards.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2