Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, like stuff just 'works'...

I think it's more than that though. I really like the phone. I love the build quality of it. I really enjoy the new features this time around. Some things I would have a hard to giving up. The keyboard is really good. iMessage has great features that I haven't been able to find on Android in the stock messaging app. Siri works really well and it is helpful to be able to call upon her without the phone being unlocked or plugged in. Love the digital lightning connector. It's just a smart feature. And the battery life is stellar. Never have to worry about getting through the day.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Yep, the same thing I just said ;)

I think it's more than that though. I really like the phone. I love the build quality of it. I really enjoy the new features this time around. Some things I would have a hard to giving up. The keyboard is really good. iMessage has great features that I haven't been able to find on Android in the stock messaging app. Siri works really well and it is helpful to be able to call upon her without the phone being unlocked or plugged in. Love the digital lightning connector. It's just a smart feature. And the battery life is stellar. Never have to worry about getting through the day.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I got a new truck that has Apple Car Play in the stereo and NAV system. Seems like a cool idea at first, but it is forcing me to reconsider... It relies in Siri.

Having to use Siri for the voice commands, drives home the point of just how awful Siri really is. On a scale of 1 to 10, where Google Now is a 9 or 10, Siri is a 3 or 4. It just isn't in the same league when it comes to speech recognition, speed and results. Apple maps has improved, but it still isn't as good as Google Maps.

I still think that as a phone, its great. But here is a case where the flaws really come out. If I want to use Apple Car Play, I have to use whatever default apps Apple chooses for me, and more often than not those apps are quite inferior to Google's apps and services...

Luckily, I can have my dealer push Android Auto to the system and I will probably sell my 6s+ and get a Nexus 6P at some point in the near future...

jhstewart0716

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I had the note and went back to my 6s+ because I was tired of the lag and the reboots and app fails. If I am going to pay for an upgrade. But like others have mentioned a lot of my family has Apple devices and we love our FaceTime. Yes I miss customization but I pick reliability and dependability over customizing my phone

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Facetime is alright, but again, Google Hangouts is better. You can "face time" with multiple people at once, it works on any phone platform, tablet or even PC... So you can by on your iPhone and your grandmother can be on her Windows laptop, etc...

It's the same as Facetime, but better and works cross platform.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Facetime is alright, but again, Google Hangouts is better. You can "face time" with multiple people at once, it works on any phone platform, tablet or even PC... So you can by on your iPhone and your grandmother can be on her Windows laptop, etc...

It's the same as Facetime, but better and works cross platform.
Great thing is though, I can FaceTime AND use hangouts on my iPhone.

Ironically, I've often found the hangouts app to work better on ios too

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Of course, I was just making the point that people feel like they are "locked into an ecosystem"... Which is by design. Apple does that to create what sales and marketing calls a "Barrier to exit"...

But the truth is that Google offers solutions that are not only superior in almost every instance, but they are also cross platform, which knocks down most of those barriers...

So if you really wanted a Note or something, you can, and with the simple installation of a free app, you can still "facetime" with your family, no matter what device you or they have, and you can do it with more than one person at a time, which is pretty cool.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
A good friend of mine has a note 5. I think it was okay. But the phone itself isn't really all that spectacular.

iPhone camera is superior.

That camera line is laughable. I have a 6s Plus. My wife has an S6 edge Plus, which has the same camera as the Note 5. It takes better pictures in every single situation. It's quicker to load. It takes better pictures in low light. It takes better pictures of moving objects. It has a pro mode where you can adjust pretty much every setting.

There is no way I would ever say my iPhone camera is superior to that.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
That camera line is laughable. I have a 6s Plus. My wife has an S6 edge Plus, which has the same camera as the Note 5. It takes better pictures in every single situation. It's quicker to load. It takes better pictures in low light. It takes better pictures of moving objects. It has a pro mode where you can adjust pretty much every setting.

There is no way I would ever say my iPhone camera is superior to that.

Well thankfully I wasn't asking what you would say ;)

My lumia 950 xl is a superb camera that tops both. As most lumia cameras usually do anyway. But I digress.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
While I love the battery life of the iPhone 6S plus, I am ditching it tomorrow after 5 months...

Apple CarPlay is annoying, as it relies on Siri and Siri is a joke. It's a gimick and just doesn't work that well.

And the usual long list of limitations... Lack of widgets and customization, no ability to set default apps, no file manager, dealing with crappy iTunes, the auto correct is horrible, the keyboard is sub-par, etc...

My OnePlus 3 arrives tomorrow.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
While I love the battery life of the iPhone 6S plus, I am ditching it tomorrow after 5 months...

Apple CarPlay is annoying, as it relies on Siri and Siri is a joke. It's a gimick and just doesn't work that well.

And the usual long list of limitations... Lack of widgets and customization, no ability to set default apps, no file manager, dealing with crappy iTunes, the auto correct is horrible, the keyboard is sub-par, etc...

But...it's the most magical product Apple has ever introduced...

I know what you're saying and don't disagree with anything. Hope you enjoy your OP3. I'm sincerely looking into that phone, as well.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It is certainly a nice phone, the 6S+... It just doesn't inspire me. It's bland and other than being larger and faster, isn't fundamentally different than any iPhone that came before it.

Siri still sucks... still the same self-imposed OS limitations that Apple seems bent on retaining despite their marketshare slipping and the entore globe flocking to Android in droves... But I am sure that they know best, right? Not the customers... haha

It is superbly crafted, the quality is high and as I said, the battery life is stellar.. But the rest of the execution is just... bland...

Android is where it's at for power users... I will give this OP3 a go and see how I like it. I still have my iPad Air 2, so I haven't left Apple entirely... Although the moment my new Chromebook gets the Google Play Store and I can install any and all Android apps to it and run them natively offline, the iPad's days are numbered... The chromebooks already outsell MacBooks, and once they run Android apps in addition to cloud services, they are gonna be the next big thing... Amazingly versatile devices for not much money...

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I agree with you, I do get annoyed from time to time with the lack of customisation of iOS.

I kinda wish that in the future a phone can run 2 OS, either Android or iOS and you can just swap to the other OS whenever you want to.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Finally! A thread I can relate to lol.

I switch phones more than anyone and am most confused right now. I'm currently using a Galaxy S7 Edge while my iPhone 6s Plus just sits there looking at me in disbelief.

I'm a Samsung guy at heart but really like my iPhone 6s Plus. The 6s Plus makes more sense, but I like doing things the hard way lol.

I was told that the S7 Edge battery was as good (if not better) as the 6s Plus....wrong. my 6s+ blows the S7 out of the water as far as battery. The S7 has fast charge though.

However, the small things about the S7 are really keeping here. Home buttons, screen, mini USB, number row at the top of the keyboard, ringtones etc.... are some of things I love about it.

I had a Nexus 6p for about a week but didn't like the size or layout of things. I opted for the Nexus 5x instead. I've come to realize that I have to have a home button.....period lol.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I find it troubling that users on this forum and some others frequented want ios to be more android like. Its the same thing I often read in relation to windows phone. Not everyone wants an android phone and many do prefer a more consistent user experience over a haphazard mess with half baked ideas (android) just for the sake of having them.

It is kinda sad to me the world wants less diversity and uniqueness and more conformity. After all this mentality is precisely why windows 10 mobile lost its uniqueness because it is trying to be something it isn't. Android. I certainly hope apple doesn't follow the trend of looking like another android OEM.

Or else I wont have any good smartphones to use lol

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Diversity for the sake of diversity is useless, whether we are talking phones or people... Your company should hire the best and most qualified people for the job... It shouldn't matter what color they are, what religion, whether they are male or female... If the best people are all white males, so what? If they are all South Pacific lesbians, so be it. LOL

Anyway, applied to phones... Just being different isn't enough. Apple has insisted on staying with "their way", and the result is that they went from the top dog in the smartphone world, to Android taking over 84% of the world market. Apple went from being the wealthiest company, to losing that title. Their stock plummeted while Google's doubled.

While Apple is different, obviously that's not always a good thing...

People love Apple hardware, myself included. But iOS is too limiting for a lot of people, as evidenced by Android's complete takeover of the world.

iOS could still be iOS, but lift some of the silly limitations... Let people set their own app preferences... build some widgets, make these improvements but do it with an "Apple flair"... Give users a file manager, or let them use their iPhone as a standard USB drive without clunky half baked apps that never work right...

They can still be their own entity, but without the limitations... But when they continue to put form over function, they can't do that...

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I find it troubling that users on this forum and some others frequented want ios to be more android like. Its the same thing I often read in relation to windows phone. Not everyone wants an android phone and many do prefer a more consistent user experience over a haphazard mess with half baked ideas (android) just for the sake of having them.

It is kinda sad to me the world wants less diversity and uniqueness and more conformity. After all this mentality is precisely why windows 10 mobile lost its uniqueness because it is trying to be something it isn't. Android. I certainly hope apple doesn't follow the trend of looking like another android OEM.

Or else I wont have any good smartphones to use lol

^This.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner