Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
In three years of being on one of the AC, I have never heard anyone say that their Android phone got better battery life then an iPhone, especially sine the release of the 6+ and 6S+. My Note 5 is much better now after two weeks of using it. Very happy with it.

I'm even getting comparable battery life to my 6S+ and 6S as I do with my 6S:
View attachment 102805

A few of us have pointed out several phones that do get battery life, so I don't know what else you want us to say...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
But in reality. who goes days without a charge anyway? I mean, if you are out camping in the woods I guess.

But there is no reason to NOT toss the phone on the charger at night when you are sleeping... Why waste that time when you are asleep?

Especially when for a year or two now, there have been several Android phones that offer good wireless charging... you know, that feature that Apple might have with the iPhone 7? It's not a new feature, several phones have had it for awhile now.

If you phone is laying down on the night stand anyway, just lay it on the charger...

timee80

May 30, 2015
Visit site
The Sony xperia phones have exceptional battery life. Just have a look at gsm arena battery results for all phones. Iphone are not at the top of the table

Posted via the iMore App for Android

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The Sony xperia phones have exceptional battery life. Just have a look at gsm arena battery results for all phones. Iphone are not at the top of the table

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Yup. Many of the Moto Droids have crazy battery life as well. The iPhone has gotten better since the 6 came out, because they made the phones bigger so they could fit a better battery in there... that was part of the problem... for years the iPhone was designed for 13 year old girls, with a postage stamp sized screen, this limiting the size of the battery...

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Yup. Many of the Moto Droids have crazy battery life as well. The iPhone has gotten better since the 6 came out, because they made the phones bigger so they could fit a better battery in there... that was part of the problem... for years the iPhone was designed for 13 year old girls, with a postage stamp sized screen, this limiting the size of the battery...

Of course Droids do, they have big batteries. Come on man. I've had the whale N6. It's huge! I also had to turn down the brightness to get better battery life. I'm done doing that stuff with Androids. Make the crap more efficient. They can't because of manufacturer or carrier bloat. Fix that and I'll be back to Android.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Of course Droids do, they have big batteries. Come on man. I've had the whale N6. It's huge! I also had to turn down the brightness to get better battery life. I'm done doing that stuff with Androids. Make the crap more efficient. They can't because of manufacturer or carrier bloat. Fix that and I'll be back to Android.

You have to turn down the brightness on a iPhone as well. If you root you can debloat or package disabler and bam, your solution. ;)

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
In three years of being on one of the AC, I have never heard anyone say that their Android phone got better battery life then an iPhone, especially sine the release of the 6+ and 6S+. My Note 5 is much better now after two weeks of using it. Very happy with it.

I'm even getting comparable battery life to my 6S+ and 6S as I do with my 6S:
View attachment 102805

That is not what the average user gets for their iPhone I'm sure. It certainly isn't what I get even on my best day.

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
But in reality. who goes days without a charge anyway? I mean, if you are out camping in the woods I guess.

But there is no reason to NOT toss the phone on the charger at night when you are sleeping... Why waste that time when you are asleep?

Especially when for a year or two now, there have been several Android phones that offer good wireless charging... you know, that feature that Apple might have with the iPhone 7? It's not a new feature, several phones have had it for awhile now.

If you phone is laying down on the night stand anyway, just lay it on the charger...

I agree with you on the charging every night.. But when I had my Note 5 I feel like the percentage was always lower on the note 5 then my iPhone 6s plus when going on charge at night. Also I feel like the drop from 100% to say 90 happened faster on the Note 5 as well.. But in saying that the Note 5 is a little more of a power hog, bigger and brighter screen plus some under the hood specs

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I think that people need to remember that phones like the Note 5, have more power. They have larger, brighter and nicer screens. Because of widgets and all the real time multitasking going on, the CPU spends less time idle than an iPhone.

Basically, the phone DOES more, and as a result, uses more energy doing it.

The iPhone comes with little bloat, which the carriers(not Google) load up the Android phones with bloat, that are running background processes, updating, phoning home, etc...

If you want to try an experiment, take the Android phone, and simply disable the bloat. You don't need root to do it, just disable the stuff.

If you want to further compare it to an iPhone, don't use any widgets. Just disable them and make your home page a static, slab of icons that don't do anything unless you manually launch them one at a time.

Turn off the advanced features and notifications and things that Android does, that Apple doesn't.

Basically, downgrade the functionality of the Android device until it becomes little more than an iPhone, and see how long the battery lasts.

I have already done this, and it matches and exceeds the iPhone more often than not.

The result is that you can have all the battery life you want, the less the phone does. Or, you can just charge it once a day and leave the stuff on and not worry about it.

I don't know anyone that is so lazy that they can't be bothered to plug in their phone at nigh to charge... There's no benefit of NOT doing that...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

The Nexus doesn't have that bloat, and what little it does have, is easily disabled. It's the first thing I do with a new phone.

I did it on my 6S+ as well. Uninstalled a couple apps, went into the Spotlight search settings and disabled all the useless stuff, etc...

armstrong47

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got the 6s plus yesterday... still getting used to the natural display (not as saturated) and no back button but otherwise I'm a happy camper. Used the Android transfer app and it saved all texts and just about everything else but didn't transfer apps. Still getting those loaded. Gaming seems much more fluid due to Metal, at least that's my initial take vs the Note 5.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The new Samsungs look nice but even though they may be clearly better in many regards I'm just not going down the Android path anytime soon. All this Apple stuff works very well together for me, even if I can't molest it as much.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The new Samsungs look nice but even though they may be clearly better in many regards I'm just not going down the Android path anytime soon. All this Apple stuff works very well together for me, even if I can't molest it as much.

I'm of the same mindset. I just love how everything works so well together and I absolutely love my Watch! I've used a Nexus 6P for barely a day before fleeing back to my iPhone. It's not that I don't like Android cause Marshmallow is awesome but I just have so much invested in iOS in the last 4 years since coming back from a 2 year stint with Android. It just doesn't make sense. I also feel there's no Android Wear equivalent watch that I'd want to buy to replace my Watch.

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well I did it again. I loved my Nexus 6p but missed iOS over the last little while. Android is great but damn those videos my wife would send me from her iPhone were just brutal lol. I even hated the fact that some apps would just wake up and run and kill my battery. Apps like Instagram, Alibaba, and a few others. So many wake ups from odd days. Losing too much money making these switches. Really have to just stick with the iPhone.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I did it again. I loved my Nexus 6p but missed iOS over the last little while. Android is great but damn those videos my wife would send me from her iPhone were just brutal lol. I even hated the fact that some apps would just wake up and run and kill my battery. Apps like Instagram, Alibaba, and a few others. So many wake ups from odd days. Losing too much money making these switches. Really have to just stick with the iPhone.

Haha! I figured you were golden with the 6P just from reading your posts on AC. I think I've actually finally decided on staying with iOS and Apple. I've been with my 6s Plus since before Christmas. It definitely isn't perfect. But it is pretty close. Im hopeful that the 7 will have a higher resolution screen and smaller bezels and an even faster camera. And I'd be happy.

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha! I figured you were golden with the 6P just from reading your posts on AC. I think I've actually finally decided on staying with iOS and Apple. I've been with my 6s Plus since before Christmas. It definitely isn't perfect. But it is pretty close. Im hopeful that the 7 will have a higher resolution screen and smaller bezels and an even faster camera. And I'd be happy.

I thought so also. Nexus 6p is a great device especially with that price point. I definitely won't use an OEM Android again though. It's only Nexus if I ever were to switch to Android again. No phone is perfect but I iOS is like a cult. It's hard to cut ties when family and friends use the products and when you have extra products at home with Apple. iMessage is definitely key for me. Already love it again with the pics and videos in HD. I have to be done with this switching. It's just too costly especially selling an Android and then buying an iPhone again. Those phones can't hold any value

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought so also. Nexus 6p is a great device especially with that price point. I definitely won't use an OEM Android again though. It's only Nexus if I ever were to switch to Android again. No phone is perfect but I iOS is like a cult. It's hard to cut ties when family and friends use the products and when you have extra products at home with Apple. iMessage is definitely key for me. Already love it again with the pics and videos in HD. I have to be done with this switching. It's just too costly especially selling an Android and then buying an iPhone again. Those phones can't hold any value

I completely understand. I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other trying to get me to one OS or the other. I can't figure out which one is which. It has cost me a ton of money flip flopping from one to the other all the time. I would most likely be better off staying with iOS and Apple but the new Android phones always seem to tempt me. But I'd hate to lose out on iMessage. It makes messaging so much easier. My wife is the only one in my family now not on iOS. But sharing pics of kids and whatnot is so much easier between iOS devices. I only wish I could customize a little bit of the experience other than where I put my icons, ringtones and wallpaper.

Victor Tech

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Jumping from the Sony Xperia Z3 to the iPhone 6s was definetely a good choice for me it really depends on which operating system that you are used to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73