Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I gave Package Disabler Pro a try when I was still using my Note 5 a month ago.. It did help..

Still was terrible overall though compared to the 6S Plus, I can't imagine how good the iPhone's battery going to be when they go over 3000 mah!

There really are a lot of things that Samsung packs in there, or that your carrier puts in there, that drains your battery. Luckily, you can go into the app manager, and there are usually 20-30 apps that you can simply disable.

You can also stop using TouchWiz and just use the Google Now launcher...

My wife did that and it helped a lot with her Note 5.

It's like anything... The Samsung does a lot more and has a lot more going on than an iPhone, so it uses more battery. It's like buying a Corvette and then complaining about the MPG... Of course it uses more gas than a Camry... LOL

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's like anything... The Samsung does a lot more and has a lot more going on than an iPhone, so it uses more battery. It's like buying a Corvette and then complaining about the MPG... Of course it uses more gas than a Camry... LOL

Give the Corvette more credit than that, it's a really nice car. You mean like driving Ford Mustang and complaining it gets less MPG than a Mercedes e350. I've had a lot of Samsung Notes and I'd never use the Corvette analogy. They're just not that nice IMO.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Judging by the fact that Samsung sells more phones than anyone, including Apple, and by the fact that even a heavy portion of the people here in this thread, on a very popular Apple forum, seem to have a pretty high regard for Samsung;s flagship phones, I am confident that my opinion is pretty much right on the money...

In any event, you can quibble about which car I should have used in my analogy based on whether you are a Ford or Chevy guy... it's kinda irrelevant... You know the point that I was making...

The Note 5 and other flagship phones often have less battery life, for the reasons that I gave. The iPhone does have widgets and it doesn't truly multitask and run lots of background processes the way that an Android phone does. As a result, the iPhones CPU tends to spend a lot more time being idle, consuming less power...

Which is a bonus if you want longer battery life when not using your phone.

But technically, the Android phones DO a lot more, and when you do more work, be it digital or pushing a car down the road faster, it consumes more energy doing so...

If you want to argue which car you prefer, I guess you can start a new topic in another section or something... haha

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
People have high regard for Samsung phones because as each year goes by the phones become more Apple-like. :) Except the software. :p

Replacing Touchwiz with the Google Launcher is not a great fix IMO. Another shouldn't have to do it. Like removing the Facebook app to get better battery life.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
People have high regard for Samsung phones because as each year goes by the phones become more Apple-like. :) Except the software. :p

Replacing Touchwiz with the Google Launcher is not a great fix IMO. Another shouldn't have to do it. Like removing the Facebook app to get better battery life.

As far as the outside chassis anyway. Of course, the same can be said that Apple's "plus" phones are just copies of the Note series...

What makes the Note better to a lot of people is that it has that "premium metal" feel of the iPhone, but with the more advanced and easier to use Android software... :)

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Last time I saw people were mad it was becoming more apple-esque.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
But they aren't... Just giving it a fancy metal case isn't what makes an iPhone an iPhone.

The screen, the OS, the UI, the Apps, the extra features are what defines the phone.

Yeah, Samsung has been moving away from cheap plastic cases to nice machined aluminum... But that's it.

Nobody just looks at the metal casing. That is the wrapper, it's not what you actually USE on a daily basis...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The software is where the difference is at. I have never had anything bad to say about Apple's hardware other than skimping on the RAM. Their hardware is top notch.

It's the OS that is so limited and behind the competition...

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

I haven't done any of these on any of my current Android phones: Note 5, Note 4, Note Edge.

I use the stock touch wiz with ZERO apps disabled. I use FaceBook everyday and it uses barely 2% of the battery each day and so far today, it's at the bottom of the list at 1%. I always wonder why people end up having to disable things when I've never had the problems they have.

I like Samsung phones because of the quality. I don't think they look like my iPhone 6S+ in any way.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I haven't done any of these on any of my current Android phones: Note 5, Note 4, Note Edge.

I use the stock touch wiz with ZERO apps disabled. I use FaceBook everyday and it uses barely 2% of the battery each day and so far today, it's at the bottom of the list at 1%. I always wonder why people end up having to disable things when I've never had the problems they have.

I like Samsung phones because of the quality. I don't think they look like my iPhone 6S+ in any way.

I just disable stuff I don't need because it is in my nature to tinker. haha

On the Nexus, not really an issue. Touchwiz has gotten better over the years but I still prefer vanilla Android...

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I just disable stuff I don't need because it is in my nature to tinker. haha

On the Nexus, not really an issue. Touchwiz has gotten better over the years but I still prefer vanilla Android...

Nothing wrong with that. I still think I may be buying a Nexus phone either this week or next and replacing yet another one of my iPhones with it. I still plan on using my 6S due to it's size and my ability to make calls one handed.

I haven't had a Nexus phone since the 4. I still have that Nexus 4 and use it occasionally.

In the week that I've had my Note 5, I have come to appreciate everything that is Android all over again. I have a total of seven apps on my home screen and ONLY one home screen. The rest of the apps are in the app drawer and i have many of those organized in folders that I would normally have on my home screen. I so wish I could do this on my iPhone plus being able to place an app anywhere on the home screen without the OS forcing it back down to the lowest empty space on the screen. I often have an app at the top right, right below my clock and nothing else below it besides the dock apps.

So, two things will always keep me using an iPhone:

1 The size of the 6S or 7S in the future if the size remains the same and I will use it for my job
2. The music app. I hate listening to music on my Android phones. I've only done it a few times. I always prefer the iOS music app.

I can't wait to see what Samsung does with the Note 6.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Nothing wrong with that. I still think I may be buying a Nexus phone either this week or next and replacing yet another one of my iPhones with it. I still plan on using my 6S due to it's size and my ability to make calls one handed.

I haven't had a Nexus phone since the 4. I still have that Nexus 4 and use it occasionally.

In the week that I've had my Note 5, I have come to appreciate everything that is Android all over again. I have a total of seven apps on my home screen and ONLY one home screen. The rest of the apps are in the app drawer and i have many of those organized in folders that I would normally have on my home screen. I so wish I could do this on my iPhone plus being able to place an app anywhere on the home screen without the OS forcing it back down to the lowest empty space on the screen. I often have an app at the top right, right below my clock and nothing else below it besides the dock apps.

So, two things will always keep me using an iPhone:

1 The size of the 6S or 7S in the future if the size remains the same and I will use it for my job
2. The music app. I hate listening to music on my Android phones. I've only done it a few times. I always prefer the iOS music app.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

While I have he 6S plus now, I don't know that I will get an iPhone the next time around...

It all depends on a couple things...

1) Will the next version of iOS allow real widgets and some basic customization?
2) Allow me to set default app preferences?

If I can get those things, I might stay...

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I've always had crap battery life if I didn't disable. For the first few weeks it was fine, but after that it got horrible. So I just disable especially since I'm stock.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Good news. You can now get Apple Music app on android. It works perfectly so far on Note 5. That was one of the reasons for me coming back to iPhone.

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Agree with pretty much all of that.

While I have he 6S plus now, I don't know that I will get an iPhone the next time around...

It all depends on a couple things...

1) Will the next version of iOS allow real widgets and some basic customization?
2) Allow me to set default app preferences?

If I can get those things, I might stay...

I really don't understand why you even bother with Apple then. You seem happy with Android.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I really don't understand why you even bother with Apple then. You seem happy with Android.

As I said before, the Nexus 6P was not an option, and so my only real replacement for my Nexus 6 was a Note 5 or the iPhone 6S plus.

The Note 5 was a slight upgrade in hardware, but a big downgrade in software... So I figured that between the two, I would just give the iPhone a try...

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
As I said before, the Nexus 6P was not an option, and so my only real replacement for my Nexus 6 was a Note 5 or the iPhone 6S plus.

The Note 5 was a slight upgrade in hardware, but a big downgrade in software... So I figured that between the two, I would just give the iPhone a try...

Why are you so against the 6P?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal