Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
And for reference's sake over the last 6 months I've had the Note 5, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P, so I've been around the block with Android phones. And while there are definitely some things I'd love to replace on my iPhone (default apps and ability to move apps where I want, being the two biggest issues), for the most part the experience has been awesome. It's almost been a relief after dealing with the quirkiness of Android.

I've had many Android phones over the last year--Nexus 6, Galaxy S6, S6 active, Note 5, Nexus 6P-- and none of them match the iPhone 6s Plus in battery life AND software updates. The S6 active had amazing battery life but it only got Android 5.1.1 a couple of weeks ago. The Nexus 6 has Marshmallow but it's a two year old phone. The Note 5 was great (see my post above) but who knows when it'll get Marshmallow. Lifeproof made a case for the S6 but I was unable to get the battery to last seven hours on a single charge. The Nexus 6P is the only Android phone that comes close to the 6s Plus, but there's no waterproof case for the phone. I also had trouble getting my Bluetooth devices to connect to the phone. I haven't experienced any of those issues I just listed on my 6s Plus.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Retinella doesn't have luck with the fingerprint sensor on the Note 5 but it's probably because of user error.

It wasn't user error. The fingerprint sensor on the Note 5 just isn't very good.

BTW, this is the first iPhone I've owned since the 4s came out five years ago.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't user error. The fingerprint sensor on the Note 5 just isn't very good.

What's wrong with the Note 5 fingerprint sensor that makes it not good??? Mine works without issue.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

I just setup the fingerprint sensor on my Note 5 and so far, the phone has unlocked every time. It's not as fast as unlocking as my 6S/6S+ but it works good enough.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Right, but what is annoying is that each file type you save, has to be saved to a different app, which you then have to remember what is where when you want to attach something to an email...

They just need to give us a damned "My Files" sandbox.... not the whole file system, just a single folder to save whatever we want, and be able to go and retrieve it easily...

Correct. The way the phone manages attachments can use a lot of improvement. That alone is why I edited my post above several times because well, there just isn't a very good way to do what you want to do.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
And the most important thing the iPhone 6s Plus (Apple, in general) does better than the Note 5 (Samsung): software updates. It's terrible that the Note 5 is still stuck on Lollipop. Samsung announced that it'd have Marshmallow on its devices in December and it still doesn't have it at the beginning of February. The S7 will have Marshmallow before the Note 5.

Truth of the matter is, not many android devices are on the latest version of software that the Note 5 is on. There is nothing wrong with lollipop other than when google made the announcement marshmallows existed then everyone wanted to know when there device would be updated. The Note 5 runs smooth. I don't recall Samsung saying the note 5 would be updated in December. The carriers have the last say.

Fragmentation is not a note 5 issue its just android. When you have the varying amounts of devices out there, coupled with layered UI's plus carrier standards it takes awhile. The only exception should be on security updates.

So yeah I agree Apple has little to no fragmentation but the android world is much more complex. This is a Google issue that they need to better address.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I just setup the fingerprint sensor on my Note 5 and so far, the phone has unlocked every time. It's not as fast as unlocking as my 6S/6S+ but it works good enough.

Agreed my 6s plus unlocks super fast. I haven't had an issue with my Note 5 sensor since picking it up at launch.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Correct. The way the phone manages attachments can use a lot of improvement. That alone is why I edited my post above several times because well, there just isn't a very good way to do what you want to do.

I really wish that they would address this... I mean, having simple access to files in this day and age when a mobile device can be a primary computing device for a lot of folks, is needed. This is one of those things where Apple thinks that their way of doing it is "user friendly", but the reality is that it isn't...

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Truth of the matter is, not many android devices are on the latest version of software that the Note 5 is on. There is nothing wrong with lollipop other than when google made the announcement marshmallows existed then everyone wanted to know when there device would be updated. The Note 5 runs smooth. I don't recall Samsung saying the note 5 would be updated in December. The carriers have the last say.

Fragmentation is not a note 5 issue its just android. When you have the varying amounts of devices out there, coupled with layered UI's plus carrier standards it takes awhile. The only exception should be on security updates.

So yeah I agree Apple has little to no fragmentation but the android world is much more complex. This is a Google issue that they need to better address.

The problem is that the other phone makers are at such a fevered pace to sell new phone models that they create the fragmentation. If they just came out with a new phone each year and kept it updated, things would be easier. But each company wants to have 6 different phones, with new ones coming out every 6 months, times all the phone manufacturers, multiplied by each carrier, etc... And then you have VZW or ATT demanding carrier specific specs, etc...

It's not Android that is the problem, it is that with so many hands in the cookie jar, Android has to operate in that cluttered environment...

The upside of that fragmentation, is that you have a large pool of options to pick from.

Apple has a new product every 12-16 months... Your choices today are small or large, and then the choice of the color that will be placed under a case anyway. Before the + series, your option was 1 model, with different storage capacities.

On Android... what's your price point? You want a MicroSD slot? Removable battery? You need an HDMI port? What form factor? How about a slide out physical keyboard? Do you want an HD screen or not?

You can literally get the exact phone that you want... It's like going to 31 flavors... Versus the old Henry Ford days of, "You can have any color you want, so long as it's black"...

With choices and options, comes fragmentation... You can't have it any other way... If you want no fragmentation, your options are to move to a single hardware platform designed hand in hand with the software, and that means Apple, or the Nexus line...

The plus of Android's fragmentation, in addition to choices, is that it pushed the envelope further and faster for what a smartphone can do, faster than Apple. Apple may have started the ball rolling with the first iPhone, but Android has since taken the lead and is a juggernaut now and Google has officially taken Apple's place as the world's most valuable company. Android was a big part of it. Not because of the OS itself, but having Android on more devices in the world than any other OS in history, has helped push Google to the top... They really are an amazing company.

At this point, I agree, they should get things under control. They have the money and clout to man-handle the carriers the way that Apple does and TELL them how it is going to be... They can tell the carriers that updates are going to be pushed from Google directly, or at least from the Manufacturers, in a timely fashion, and then push those manufacturers to reduce the fragmentation...

What are they gonna do, leave Android? What will the carriers do, stop selling Android phones?

No way. The Android phones outsell Apple all day long. And Apple is already doing things the way that Google would be demanding, so leaving Android and only selling Apple wouldn't make any sense...

Google just needs to do it.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had many Android phones over the last year--Nexus 6, Galaxy S6, S6 active, Note 5, Nexus 6P-- and none of them match the iPhone 6s Plus in battery life AND software updates. The S6 active had amazing battery life but it only got Android 5.1.1 a couple of weeks ago. The Nexus 6 has Marshmallow but it's a two year old phone. The Note 5 was great (see my post above) but who knows when it'll get Marshmallow. Lifeproof made a case for the S6 but I was unable to get the battery to last seven hours on a single charge. The Nexus 6P is the only Android phone that comes close to the 6s Plus, but there's no waterproof case for the phone. I also had trouble getting my Bluetooth devices to connect to the phone. I haven't experienced any of those issues I just listed on my 6s Plus.

You're 100% correct about nothing being able to match the iPhone in battery life and updates. I don't even care so much about the Marshmallow update. It's the security update that I worry about. My wife's S6 edge + is still on the October security update on AT&T. That is 110% unacceptable. I use my phone for legal work and have work emails on there. I'm not good with leaving myself vulnerable. Google can update core apps like Play Services, Gmail, etc. without doing a full fledged update. iOS doesn't work that way. If Mail needs an overhaul, it'll be included in a new point release. If Samsung could keep their phones up to date security-wise, I don't see a problem with the Marshmallow delay. But as it stands, Apple is much better for what I need right now. I also had issues with my 6P and 5X with Bluetooth and LTE. I've had zero issues with anything on my iPhone. The only issue I've had is related to Facebook not sending me notifications when it should. But I don't think that's an iPhone problem, necessarily, that's a Facebook problem.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
The problem is that the other phone makers are at such a fevered pace to sell new phone models that they create the fragmentation. If they just came out with a new phone each year and kept it updated, things would be easier. But each company wants to have 6 different phones, with new ones coming out every 6 months, times all the phone manufacturers, multiplied by each carrier, etc... And then you have VZW or ATT demanding carrier specific specs, etc...

It's not Android that is the problem, it is that with so many hands in the cookie jar, Android has to operate in that cluttered environment...

The upside of that fragmentation, is that you have a large pool of options to pick from.

Apple has a new product every 12-16 months... Your choices today are small or large, and then the choice of the color that will be placed under a case anyway. Before the + series, your option was 1 model, with different storage capacities.

On Android... what's your price point? You want a MicroSD slot? Removable battery? You need an HDMI port? What form factor? How about a slide out physical keyboard? Do you want an HD screen or not?

You can literally get the exact phone that you want... It's like going to 31 flavors... Versus the old Henry Ford days of, "You can have any color you want, so long as it's black"...

With choices and options, comes fragmentation... You can't have it any other way... If you want no fragmentation, your options are to move to a single hardware platform designed hand in hand with the software, and that means Apple, or the Nexus line...

The plus of Android's fragmentation, in addition to choices, is that it pushed the envelope further and faster for what a smartphone can do, faster than Apple. Apple may have started the ball rolling with the first iPhone, but Android has since taken the lead and is a juggernaut now and Google has officially taken Apple's place as the world's most valuable company. Android was a big part of it. Not because of the OS itself, but having Android on more devices in the world than any other OS in history, has helped push Google to the top... They really are an amazing company.

At this point, I agree, they should get things under control. They have the money and clout to man-handle the carriers the way that Apple does and TELL them how it is going to be... They can tell the carriers that updates are going to be pushed from Google directly, or at least from the Manufacturers, in a timely fashion, and then push those manufacturers to reduce the fragmentation...

What are they gonna do, leave Android? What will the carriers do, stop selling Android phones?

No way. The Android phones outsell Apple all day long. And Apple is already doing things the way that Google would be demanding, so leaving Android and only selling Apple wouldn't make any sense...

Google just needs to do it.

The main reason why I get so irritated with Android is that when you purchase a phone, in a year the phone probably won't be supported because it'll be "outdated" or lost in the shuffle. When the Samsung Galaxy S7 comes out next month, the S6 will get updated to Marshmallow and that'll probably be the end of its software updates, except the few security updates it may get. In Android, you almost have to upgrade every year just to keep getting the latest software.

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I really wish that they would address this... I mean, having simple access to files in this day and age when a mobile device can be a primary computing device for a lot of folks, is needed. This is one of those things where Apple thinks that their way of doing it is "user friendly", but the reality is that it isn't...

I would love to have access to files too without Jailbreaking but somebody always ruins it for the rest of us. If Apple allowed access to just a download folder somebody would hose something or find a loophole. Apple wants this stuff nailed down tight to avoid issues.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
You're 100% correct about nothing being able to match the iPhone in battery life and updates. I don't even care so much about the Marshmallow update. It's the security update that I worry about. My wife's S6 edge + is still on the October security update on AT&T. That is 110% unacceptable. I use my phone for legal work and have work emails on there. I'm not good with leaving myself vulnerable. Google can update core apps like Play Services, Gmail, etc. without doing a full fledged update. iOS doesn't work that way. If Mail needs an overhaul, it'll be included in a new point release. If Samsung could keep their phones up to date security-wise, I don't see a problem with the Marshmallow delay. But as it stands, Apple is much better for what I need right now. I also had issues with my 6P and 5X with Bluetooth and LTE. I've had zero issues with anything on my iPhone. The only issue I've had is related to Facebook not sending me notifications when it should. But I don't think that's an iPhone problem, necessarily, that's a Facebook problem.

I will say that I have had phones with better battery life than the iPhone, although this 6S+ is pretty darned good. Not even the Droid MAXX series... just the Droid Turbo, Turbo 2 and even my Nexus 6...

And yeah, one thing to remember is that Google can update all their services to Marshmallow and bypass the carrier releases. Additionally, you can just run the Google Now Launcher and have the new look and feel on top of those updated apps. That's what my wife does on her Note 5...

Which brings up another point... Launchers... You can do some amazing things with launchers, most of them free, and completely change how the phone looks, acts, etc... Not just layouts, but the actual UI itself, functions, etc... Pretty cool stuff...

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Which brings up another point... Launchers... You can do some amazing things with launchers, most of them free, and completely change how the phone looks, acts, etc... Not just layouts, but the actual UI itself, functions, etc... Pretty cool stuff...

If I wanted to customize my phone a lot I wouldn't even look at iPhones. People that like to do that are wasting their time with an iPhone I think. Unless you JB it. :)

As far as battery life, I had a Nexus 6 and the 6s+ is better for me. The Nexus had a big battery but also a bigger high res screen. Like I said before standby on iOS is awesome. It just sips the battery overnight or while at work. Android, even with 6.0 usually not the case.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
If I wanted to customize my phone a lot I wouldn't even look at iPhones. People that like to do that are wasting their time with an iPhone I think. Unless you JB it. :)

As far as battery life, I had a Nexus 6 and the 6s+ is better for me. The Nexus had a big battery but also a bigger high res screen. Like I said before standby on iOS is awesome. It just sips the battery overnight or while at work. Android, even with 6.0 usually not the case.

The "Doze" feature on the Nexus 6P is amazing. I would leave my phone sit on my desk overnight and it'd only lose 2% power. My 6s Plus lost ~8% power last night.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed my 6s plus unlocks super fast. I haven't had an issue with my Note 5 sensor since picking it up at launch.
I also like that after using my Note 5 for the first hour after unboxing, it asked me if I wanted to use the current location that I was at as a trusted location. I said yes so as long as I am here at home, my phone does not require the fingerprint sensor to unlock, I just swipe to unlock it. I leave home and the phone is automatically locked. I can do that also with my Gear S watch, the phone remains unlocked as long as it is connected to the watch via BT.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
One huge thing that I love about an iPhone is that when it needs a tuneup or a repair, I can take it to my local mechanics (Genius Bar). I can't do that with any other device. And yes I know they have cell phone repair shops but so long as my warranty is good, I'm going to the dealership for my needs.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I also like that after using my Note 5 for the first hour after unboxing, it asked me if I wanted to use the current location that I was at as a trusted location. I said yes so as long as I am here at home, my phone does not require the fingerprint sensor to unlock, I just swipe to unlock it. I leave home and the phone is automatically locked. I can do that also with my Gear S watch, the phone remains unlocked as long as it is connected to the watch via BT.

Oh yeah, I totally miss that aspect, the trusted sources... So if I am in my car or my wife's car and connected to BT, my phone is automatically unlocked so that I can access it faster when driving or as a passenger... No need to unlock it if it knows that I am in the car. As soon as I shut the car off, the phone automatically locks itself. Pretty clever, and pretty useful.

Apple ain't got time for none of that! haha

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Not personally moved by Smart Lock. It was ok when I had it but these devices unlock so quickly with a finger scan that it's like they're not locked anyway!

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The "Doze" feature on the Nexus 6P is amazing. I would leave my phone sit on my desk overnight and it'd only lose 2% power. My 6s Plus lost ~8% power last night.

Wow, that's awesome on the 6P. Never had that luck with Doze. My 6s Plus lost 0% last night.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen