Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully, my 6P performed flawlessly but for other reasons i felt it prudent to switch back to iOS. My 128GB 6 Plus will be in tomorrow at which point I'll ship out my 128GB 6. I'm all in for Swappa now. Craigslist be d*mned!

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Had the 6S Plus then went over to the Note 5. Note was great and all but I just didn't like the SW at all plus my carrier couldn't even update the security on a monthly basis. I mean the Note 5 has a security patch from Nov 1st and still nothing. I am done with carriers and waiting so I got the Nexus 6p mid Dec and absolutely love the phone. Not a single issue with LTE, Bluetooth or anything. Definitely the best phone I've used to date. It's either Nexus or iPhone from now on. Done with OEM Androids. Not dealing with carriers anymore.

WeTheNorthRTZ

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I easily got through the day with the Note 5 however usage varies but the advantage of the Note 5 is its quick charge feature. You could go from zero to fifty in like 15 minutes. Not to mention the wireless charging capability. No reason for Apple to have excluded those features. Also do not forget the Note 5 while it has a much better display it's also a larger display than the iPhone 6/6s Plus in a smaller body that's easier hold. Can't forget the spen. There were two class of Note users 1. Those who used the spen 2. Those who did not use it. The beauty of the spen is its out of site, out of mind. It's there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. The software isn't configured in such a way that makes you use it either, which is nice.

Now that Apple has their version of a "stylus" it will be interesting to see if they incorporate a version of it in their plus line devices in the future.

The wireless charger was finicky for me... sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt!

iPhone 6S Plus battery has easily outperformed the Note 5! 100%. Im at 35% after unplugging at 8am and using it pretty heavily at times! Most noticeable in standby time but still outperforms when the screen is on as well!

Note 5 wouldve been dead by 3-5pm 100%!

Fast charging was nice but I dont want to bring a charger with me when I go out and sit by a plug!

The S Pen was super slick but I literally used it maybe a handful of times over a span of two months!

Definitely miss the screen though :(

For me... again... the most important aspects... battery life and reliability... Apple wins!

Kevniv

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
My Note 5 is at about 40% at 5pm. With quick charge and 15 min I'm back up to about 90% So not a problem for me. I also have iPhone 6s plus but I always seem to use the Note 5

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I still considering buying a Note 5. There are things that Android phones do better that I wish my iPhone could do and there are things my iPhone does better that I wish my Android phones could do.

Every year I'll likely continue doing what I've been doing, buy the latest iPhone and then buying either a Nexus or Note. To this day, i still am amzed at the display quality on my Note 4/Note Edge.

One of the other things I like on my Android phones is in setting the font size. I set it to large and that size is carried over to every app that I use. On iOS, it doesn't work that way. Sure it works in some apps but I have so many apps where the font size is small even with the font size adjusted in settings a few ticks to the right of the middle setting and there is not way to adjust the font size within a few of those apps.

Also, I seriously love the camera as others have mentioned on my Android phones over the iPhone camera. The clarity and color reproduction is top notch as well as I get bigger resolution pictures then I do on the iPhone.

I still prefer to use my 6S at my job because I can actually make a call with one hand instead of having to really move the phone in my hand to reach a number on the keypad. I don't feel like I might drop the phone. I like using the bigger phones when I am at home or other places where I can use both hands.

I like having choices. And many phones. I don't get bored.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Here is another little annoying iOS trait...

I have an email chain going and I respond to the email... I type my response, and I need to attach a picture of the receipt that I took for my reimbursement. I can't.

There is no "attach" button like every other smartphone and computer platform in the world has had for a decade. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided that people don't need to attach pics to emails...

Now, I can go to Photo gallery, and I can select a pic, and then select share, and then select email and then I can can start typing an email and it will be attached...

But I have to do those specific 5 steps in order to attach a pic, and I cannot do that if I am in the middle of a conversation... WTF?

My wife, who is on her Note 5 and can be doing whatever she wants in email and just hit an "attach" button and select the pic, PDF, word doc, etc..., just like you would in Outlook. is laughing at me right now.

If I want to do that, I had to email the pic to myself and then go log into my desktop and respond to the email chain and attach it from there...

There is nothing "smart" about this smart phone in that regard.

Basic, useful, industry-standard functionality that is so needed and obvious, and yet Apple decides not to do it, just to be different...

Lame.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Here is another little annoying iOS trait...

I have an email chain going and I respond to the email... I type my response, and I need to attach a picture of the receipt that I took for my reimbursement. I can't.

There is no "attach" button like every other smartphone and computer platform in the world has had for a decade. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided that people don't need to attach pics to emails...

Now, I can go to Photo gallery, and I can select a pic, and then select share, and then select email and then I can can start typing an email and it will be attached...

But I have to do those specific 5 steps in order to attach a pic, and I cannot do that if I am in the middle of a conversation... WTF?

My wife, who is on her Note 5 and can be doing whatever she wants in email and just hit an "attach" button and select the pic, PDF, word doc, etc..., just like you would in Outlook. is laughing at me right now.

If I want to do that, I had to email the pic to myself and then go log into my desktop and respond to the email chain and attach it from there...

There is nothing "smart" about this smart phone in that regard.

Basic, useful, industry-standard functionality that is so needed and obvious, and yet Apple decides not to do it, just to be different...

Lame.
To attach a photo or video, long touch in the area where you type the response and there will be a popup. Hit the arrow on the right side and select insert photo or video.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I also forgot to mention that you can select a picture in the photos app and then select copy. Then in your reply, press and hold in the reply email and in the popup, select paste. Your picture is now in the email as well.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm back on a Note 5. The option to customize the phone overall, and 'file management', was too strong of a pull for me. Here's hoping in time, iOS\Apple, allow this...

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm back on a Note 5. The option to customize the phone overall, and 'file management', was too strong of a pull for me. Here's hoping in time, iOS\Apple, allow this...

I have a few things that keep me using Android phones:

1. The ability to change any screen to the home screen. This allows me to have several different screens setup for different situations and I can make any one of them the default in just a few seconds.

2. The ability to arrange the app icons in any way. I can have one app icon on the top right corner and the rest at the bottom or leave a space in between any app.

3. Default apps. I can make Firefox my default browser and I can install plugins for this browser just as I can with plugins in Firefox on my Mac. I was blocking ads in Firefox many years ago on my first Android phone in 2012.

4. On any Note (Note 4 or 5 is what I have) I can simply draw on the screen the portion that I want to capture in a screen cap and send that off to someone instantly without having to crop the screen cap using the photos app, saving some time.

5. Writing a note with the pen is many times much faster then opening an app and typing it out. I use this for my job all the time making it easier to submit my daily summary at the end of my shift so I never forget something important.

I'm sure there are other reasons too but these are my tops.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I had the Note 5 and I currently have the iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver and the Note 5 is the overall better device. There's more practical functionality with that device, including the S Pen, Samsung Pay, wireless charging, and the overall customization of the Android platform. The Note 5 also takes better low-light photos. It's also really easy to add music to the Note 5. Just plug the phone into you computer and drag and drop. There's no fumbling with iTunes, which can be annoying at times. Oh, and the display on the Note 5 is the best on the market.

What I like about my 6s Plus is that the battery life is better than the Note 5. The fingerprint sensor is also more accurate on the 6s Plus than the Note 5. On the Note 5, I only had about a 50% success rate the first time I put my thumb on the fingerprint sensor. It's been 100% so far on my 6s Plus. I also like that the 6s Plus has the ability to be waterproof with the addition of a Lifeproof case and that's important because I work outside for my job. I need to be able to make and receive phone calls when it's sunny, snowing, or raining outside. I also like FaceTime. I can use FaceTime whenever I'm out on the road and I want to chat with my family. I don't know why Android doesn't have an equivalent of that yet. And the most important thing the iPhone 6s Plus (Apple, in general) does better than the Note 5 (Samsung): software updates. It's terrible that the Note 5 is still stuck on Lollipop. Samsung announced that it'd have Marshmallow on its devices in December and it still doesn't have it at the beginning of February. The S7 will have Marshmallow before the Note 5.

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I think the problem is that people don't take the time to learn these phones. SquireSA for example doesn't know how to do attachments in mail, back to Android. Not that you did, just setting an example of how quickly people can change their minds because something pissed them off. Retinella doesn't have luck with the fingerprint sensor on the Note 5 but it's probably because of user error. Then they switch back to Apple. I've gone back and forth and always come back to Apple. Not because it's Apple but because it just works. Battery life on standby is crazy good too. :) I don't feel like deleting an app to get better battery life. (Samsung)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the Note 5 and I currently have the iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver and the Note 5 is the overall better device. There's more practical functionality with that device, including the S Pen, Samsung Pay, wireless charging, and the overall customization of the Android platform. The Note 5 also takes better low-light photos. It's also really easy to add music to the Note 5. Just plug the phone into you computer and drag and drop. There's no fumbling with iTunes, which can be annoying at times. Oh, and the display on the Note 5 is the best on the market.

What I like about my 6s Plus is that the battery life is better than the Note 5. The fingerprint sensor is also more accurate on the 6s Plus than the Note 5. On the Note 5, I only had about a 50% success rate the first time I put my thumb on the fingerprint sensor. It's been 100% so far on my 6s Plus. I also like that the 6s Plus has the ability to be waterproof with the addition of a Lifeproof case and that's important because I work outside for my job. I need to be able to make and receive phone calls when it's sunny, snowing, or raining outside. I also like FaceTime. I can use FaceTime whenever I'm out on the road and I want to chat with my family. I don't know why Android doesn't have an equivalent of that yet. And the most important thing the iPhone 6s Plus (Apple, in general) does better than the Note 5 (Samsung): software updates. It's terrible that the Note 5 is still stuck on Lollipop. Samsung announced that it'd have Marshmallow on its devices in December and it still doesn't have it at the beginning of February. The S7 will have Marshmallow before the Note 5.

Good to see ya over on iMore! I tend to agree with pretty much everything you have said. I've been an Android guy for YEARS (back to the OG Droid X). I dabbled in iOS here and there, but never on it for more than a couple of weeks for the most part. I switched off of Android to the 6s Plus the week before Christmas and haven't been able to make the jump back yet. Nothing beats the overall package that the 6s Plus has. Sure the Note has a better screen, but does it make that much of a difference in day to day use? Nah. The 6s Plus is plenty sharp. The Note has a better camera, but it isn't light years better that it has hampered my use - and I have a toddler that I'm constantly chasing around when it comes to picture time. The battery on this thing is awesome. I never ever ever worry about my battery life. I can't say that about any Android phone I've ever had (I'm on AT&T so I can't have the monster Droid Maxx batteries). This thing is also incredibly smooth and stable. Now, the most current Android phones are plenty smooth and stable, but this just feels like everything works in cohesion. And Apple gives me peace of mind with updates and warranty issues. They stand behind their products no matter where you bought them and it's easy to get something fixed or replaced if necessary.

And for reference's sake over the last 6 months I've had the Note 5, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P, so I've been around the block with Android phones. And while there are definitely some things I'd love to replace on my iPhone (default apps and ability to move apps where I want, being the two biggest issues), for the most part the experience has been awesome. It's almost been a relief after dealing with the quirkiness of Android.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
To attach a photo or video, long touch in the area where you type the response and there will be a popup. Hit the arrow on the right side and select insert photo or video.

Doh! Thanks, now I see it... I was like, now hard is it to put a damned "attach" button on there? Still limits me to what I can attach and from where, but it's a start... haha

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Doh! Thanks, now I see it... I was like, now hard is it to put a damned "attach" button on there? Still limits me to what I can attach and from where, but it's a start... haha

That's the Apple way of doing a lot of things. They started this several years ago and some things you can do aren't always obvious. You just have to do some experimenting on your own or ASK other users before you assume something can't be done. I think it would be better to put a paperclip icon in the email compose window like Android has but that's not the iOS way. It exists in the desktop mail app.

Like mentioned above, a lot of people move back to another platform because they think something can't be done with the device they are using but it can.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
That's the Apple way of doing a lot of things. They started this several years ago and some things you can do aren't always obvious. You just have to do some experimenting on your own or ASK other users before you assume something can't be done. I think it would be better to put a paperclip icon in the email compose window like Android has but that's not the iOS way. It exists in the desktop mail app.

Like mentioned above, a lot of people move back to another platform because they think something can't be done with the device they are using but it can.

True, and in the end their way of doing it DOES work, once you know it is there...

However, for me to get an email with a PDF, or some other attachment, how can I save that file to some location on the device, and then a week later if I want to send it to someone, compose an email and attach it?

Without some sort of file system to access, is my only way to do that through some sort of cloud service? Normally I would have access to the "hard drive" or just attach the file from the "\Downloads" directory or whatever...

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
True, and in the end their way of doing it DOES work, once you know it is there...

However, for me to get an email with a PDF, or some other attachment, how can I save that file to some location on the device, and then a week later if I want to send it to someone, compose an email and attach it?

Without some sort of file system to access, is my only way to do that through some sort of cloud service? Normally I would have access to the "hard drive" or just attach the file from the "\Downloads" directory or whatever...
When you get an email with a PDF, hold a finger on it in the email and select email or you can save it to iDrive and that will popup when you select the attachment tab. That will be under locations. or wherever else you saved the PDF.

Probably the easiest way is to save it to dropbox.

I edited this post a few times to write what I thought was the easiest way to do this.

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Right, but what is annoying is that each file type you save, has to be saved to a different app, which you then have to remember what is where when you want to attach something to an email...

They just need to give us a damned "My Files" sandbox.... not the whole file system, just a single folder to save whatever we want, and be able to go and retrieve it easily...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods