Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Respectfully disagree. I've done nothing to my Note 5 and it feels snappier than my 6s+. Whether it's true or not I don't know as they both are "beasts" in their own skin.

The term android device when compared to an iPhone gets thrown around too loosely IMO. There are so many different levels of android devices and not all are iPhone equivalents. Folks experiences with android will vary by device because you have choice but not all android devices are meant to compete with an iPhone pound for pound.

Today's top android devices give you top notch performance out the box without going into any developer options which most people don't do anyway.

The fact is, android software and manufacturer hardware is better and can match iPhone performance or exceed it depending on the device.

I agree with this. There are some Android devices that are on par or even better than the iPhone. But then there are some Android smartphones that struggle to do regular things.

WeTheNorthRTZ

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Note 5
- Better screen (ALOT better)
- Nicer design
- Android works better for me
- Fast Charging
- Better camera

6S Plus
- Better battery life (9-5 Note 5 vs All day 6S Plus with moderate to heavy usage)
- Warranty
- iOS looks better to me and "Just works"
- Facetime/Ecosystem
- Accessories

Battery Life being the most important thing for me the Note 5 just didnt cut it! Everything else was REALLY nice though!

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
For me not really. I only got the 6s plus so it would be on par with a rooted note 5 once I jailbroke it. But no jailbreak so it's just the same as my note 5 *to me*. What i miss most is
* fast charging (my note 5 and plus barely net me 4-5 hours screen time but note 5 charges in half the time of my plus...im at 15% and only have 4 hrs of useage)
* screen (iPhones is sub-par for price tag/to note 5s)
* play store (better free apps imo)
* 3rd party keyboards (iOS 3rd party sucks)
* being able to put music on my phone without iTunes or an app
*ringtones
*back button (just personal preference )
*root
*bigger screens but smaller phones (iPhone is super long)
*easy access to my files and customization (folders only are just meh)
*fonts :(
But you sound pretty set on a iPhone, just go get one lol.

Those are all pretty much spot on. If you can live with all of those limitations, then the iPhone will work fine for you.

I really miss the fast charge. Getting 8 hours of use out of a 15 minute charge is amazing. Every time I am in the airport I see the Apple owners all lined up along the walls charging their phones... LOL

I am actually getting pretty decent battery life though on my 6S Plus... It isn't the best I have had, but it isn't the worst.

Having to rely on iTunes sucks, as that software platform is an abomination...

But the phone works... If I hadn't come from Android, I wouldn't know what I was missing and I would think it was the neatest thing since sliced bread

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I'm certain I will. From using my iPad Air 2, I know 2GB of RAM on an iPhone will be nutty!

2GB of RAM is nothing. My Air 2 and my 6S Plus run out of RAM all the time, forcing me to manually go in and swipe away apps to free up RAM so that my browser stops reloading pages and lagging, or Chromecast can start working, etc...

2GB in this day and age is pitiful.

Reboot your Air 2, wait 60 seconds, and then run a utility to see how much RAM you have available, The iOS footprint itself and the needed services, use over 1GB of your RAM, leaving you less than 1GB to actually work with.

It's horrible.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Those are all pretty much spot on. If you can live with all of those limitations, then the iPhone will work fine for you.

I really miss the fast charge. Getting 8 hours of use out of a 15 minute charge is amazing. Every time I am in the airport I see the Apple owners all lined up along the walls charging their phones... LOL

I am actually getting pretty decent battery life though on my 6S Plus... It isn't the best I have had, but it isn't the worst.

Having to rely on iTunes sucks, as that software platform is an abomination...

But the phone works... If I hadn't come from Android, I wouldn't know what I was missing and I would think it was the neatest thing since sliced bread

I'm living happily with those limitations for a little over a month after years on Android (since 2010 with the original Droid X).

For a quicker charge, get an iPad charger. I use that exclusively. It isn't quite as fast as the Samsung Quick charge, but it's absolutely comparable and MUCH better than the charger that comes with the phone.

I don't use iTunes for anything other than doing a software restore. Other than that, I just backup to my iCloud.

It definitely has its faults and isn't perfect by any means. But I have WAY less issues than I ever had on Android. Things tend to work as intended.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I switched from a Note 5, to an iPhone 6s Plus today. Still configuring it and all that. Albeit, I miss the option to place icons anywhere and make the bottom bar transparent.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Fired up the Note 5 last night to play with it. Did some very unscientific tests with it against my iPhone 6S plus and it was just about what I thought it was going to be. Performance of the two are just about dead even. iPhone had a slight edge in web browsing and wifi speeds. The biggest difference was in gaming. It was a significant difference between the two devices with the nod going to the iPhone.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Fired up the Note 5 last night to play with it. Did some very unscientific tests with it against my iPhone 6S plus and it was just about what I thought it was going to be. Performance of the two are just about dead even. iPhone had a slight edge in web browsing and wifi speeds. The biggest difference was in gaming. It was a significant difference between the two devices with the nod going to the iPhone.

Seriously, to me the ONLY thing I don't like about the iPhone, well, iOS, is I can't configure the screens as I want. Like having my icons only on the bottom row. Also for the love of cheese, can't we have a transparent bottom bar? Ugh...

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Note 5
- Better screen (ALOT better)
- Nicer design
- Android works better for me
- Fast Charging
- Better camera

6S Plus
- Better battery life (9-5 Note 5 vs All day 6S Plus with moderate to heavy usage)
- Warranty
- iOS looks better to me and "Just works"
- Facetime/Ecosystem
- Accessories

Battery Life being the most important thing for me the Note 5 just didnt cut it! Everything else was REALLY nice though!

I easily got through the day with the Note 5 however usage varies but the advantage of the Note 5 is its quick charge feature. You could go from zero to fifty in like 15 minutes. Not to mention the wireless charging capability. No reason for Apple to have excluded those features. Also do not forget the Note 5 while it has a much better display it's also a larger display than the iPhone 6/6s Plus in a smaller body that's easier hold. Can't forget the spen. There were two class of Note users 1. Those who used the spen 2. Those who did not use it. The beauty of the spen is its out of site, out of mind. It's there when you need it and out of the way when you don't. The software isn't configured in such a way that makes you use it either, which is nice.

Now that Apple has their version of a "stylus" it will be interesting to see if they incorporate a version of it in their plus line devices in the future.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, to me the ONLY thing I don't like about the iPhone, well, iOS, is I can't configure the screens as I want. Like having my icons only on the bottom row. Also for the love of cheese, can't we have a transparent bottom bar? Ugh...
I arrange all of my apps in folders anyway so the app arrangement doesn't bother me. But, I agree with you regarding the transparent bottom row.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I arrange all of my apps in folders anyway so the app arrangement doesn't bother me. But, I agree with you regarding the transparent bottom row.

But that is such a dated and archaic way of doing things... It makes for a really cluttered interface. It's not an interactive desktop environment the way that an Android phone, PC or MacBook is... It's just a static slab of icons...

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
But that is such a dated and archaic way of doing things... It makes for a really cluttered interface. It's not an interactive desktop environment the way that an Android phone, PC or MacBook is... It's just a static slab of icons...
I guess I don't understand. What's so archaic about having icons in folders on the home screen as opposed to having a grid of icons in an app drawer?

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I also use folders to organize my apps but that's not the issue. The limitation is you cannot place those folders or apps anywhere on the screen of your choosing. So if you only want four folders on one screen you cannot place those four folders at the bottom, or in the middle or wherever you find them to be most convenient, they automatically just snap to the top. The only way to do that is fill the entire screen with apps and folders then move what you want to the bottom row and work upwards.

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I also use folders to organize my apps but that's not the issue. The limitation is you cannot place those folders or apps anywhere on the screen of your choosing. So if you only want four folders on one screen you cannot place those four folders at the bottom they automatically snap to the top. Or in the middle. Or wherever you find them to be the most convenient. The only way to do that is full the entire screen with apps and folders then move what you want to the bottom row and work upwards.
Sure. If thats what you need to do, I can see how that could be a frustrating limitation. But, is that a deciding factor for you to choose Android over ios?

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Sure. If thats what you need to do, I can see how that could be a frustrating limitation. But, is that a deciding factor for you to choose Android over ios?

It speaks to the overall UI differences.

iOS still has a lot of the same limitations that it had in 2007, this being but one of them. Apple has been very slow to adopt and adapt to what have become industry standard features... At some point they catch on and adopt some Android features and it is met with success.

Large screens, HD displays and a good Notification module, are among those things that Apple and their fanbase scoffed at for years, but when Apple finally got on board, suddenly sales increased and Apple fans rejoiced over these "new" features... LOL

The desktop, needs work. Especially when you look at the iPad line, where that same, tired and dull interface is now super-sized.

I don't want every app installed to be forced to be on the desktop. I want to arrange the icons the way I want, just pulling out my "must have" icons on the desktop, arranged the way that I wish to see and use them, and having an app drawer for everything else.

I know. you can put all the apps you don't want into a single folder and name it as such, but it just isn't the same.

If you have used flagship Android phones for awhile, the differences are pretty stark...

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
25de0ca0e69dcedb524203adbe55b21a.jpg
b10fb0d401e02c45861553891d59d8da.jpg

So the two systems work in reverse to each other. On Android, your homescreen has or could have widgets. And then to get into your apps you go into your app drawer which are static icons in a grid. On iOS your homescreen is an icon grid that you can manage in folders and when you want to see your widgets just pull down the notification shade. They basically do the same thing but in a different fashion.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

That specific limitation. I'd say, no. I think there are strong arguments that can be made for both platforms when deciding which to go with.

I'd like to think Individual needs and taste would be the determining factor but I know that's not always the case either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2