Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 375
Like Tree269Likes
  1. #301  
    doctordwaynewilliams's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,327 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,130 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by ivantwilliams View Post
    Yeah, like stuff just 'works'...
    I think it's more than that though. I really like the phone. I love the build quality of it. I really enjoy the new features this time around. Some things I would have a hard to giving up. The keyboard is really good. iMessage has great features that I haven't been able to find on Android in the stock messaging app. Siri works really well and it is helpful to be able to call upon her without the phone being unlocked or plugged in. Love the digital lightning connector. It's just a smart feature. And the battery life is stellar. Never have to worry about getting through the day.
    anon(153966) likes this.
  2. #302  
    anon(153966)'s Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    2,343 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Yep, the same thing I just said

    Quote Originally Posted by doctordwaynewilliams View Post
    I think it's more than that though. I really like the phone. I love the build quality of it. I really enjoy the new features this time around. Some things I would have a hard to giving up. The keyboard is really good. iMessage has great features that I haven't been able to find on Android in the stock messaging app. Siri works really well and it is helpful to be able to call upon her without the phone being unlocked or plugged in. Love the digital lightning connector. It's just a smart feature. And the battery life is stellar. Never have to worry about getting through the day.
  3. #303  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    I got a new truck that has Apple Car Play in the stereo and NAV system. Seems like a cool idea at first, but it is forcing me to reconsider... It relies in Siri.

    Having to use Siri for the voice commands, drives home the point of just how awful Siri really is. On a scale of 1 to 10, where Google Now is a 9 or 10, Siri is a 3 or 4. It just isn't in the same league when it comes to speech recognition, speed and results. Apple maps has improved, but it still isn't as good as Google Maps.

    I still think that as a phone, its great. But here is a case where the flaws really come out. If I want to use Apple Car Play, I have to use whatever default apps Apple chooses for me, and more often than not those apps are quite inferior to Google's apps and services...

    Luckily, I can have my dealer push Android Auto to the system and I will probably sell my 6s+ and get a Nexus 6P at some point in the near future...
    jhstewart0716 likes this.
  4. #304  
    jhstewart0716's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    19 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    I had the note and went back to my 6s+ because I was tired of the lag and the reboots and app fails. If I am going to pay for an upgrade. But like others have mentioned a lot of my family has Apple devices and we love our FaceTime. Yes I miss customization but I pick reliability and dependability over customizing my phone
  5. #305  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Facetime is alright, but again, Google Hangouts is better. You can "face time" with multiple people at once, it works on any phone platform, tablet or even PC... So you can by on your iPhone and your grandmother can be on her Windows laptop, etc...

    It's the same as Facetime, but better and works cross platform.
  6. #306  
    Paul Ellis1's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    Facetime is alright, but again, Google Hangouts is better. You can "face time" with multiple people at once, it works on any phone platform, tablet or even PC... So you can by on your iPhone and your grandmother can be on her Windows laptop, etc...

    It's the same as Facetime, but better and works cross platform.
    Great thing is though, I can FaceTime AND use hangouts on my iPhone.

    Ironically, I've often found the hangouts app to work better on ios too
  7. #307  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Of course, I was just making the point that people feel like they are "locked into an ecosystem"... Which is by design. Apple does that to create what sales and marketing calls a "Barrier to exit"...

    But the truth is that Google offers solutions that are not only superior in almost every instance, but they are also cross platform, which knocks down most of those barriers...

    So if you really wanted a Note or something, you can, and with the simple installation of a free app, you can still "facetime" with your family, no matter what device you or they have, and you can do it with more than one person at a time, which is pretty cool.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
  8. #308  
    HisbonH's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Actually Note 5 is a wonderful device. Basically I love this one. My wife is using this over 1 year. Really great service so far.
  9. #309  
    Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    A good friend of mine has a note 5. I think it was okay. But the phone itself isn't really all that spectacular.

    iPhone camera is superior.
  10. #310  
    HisbonH's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Agree with you here.
  11. #311  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,811 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nogitsune Micah View Post
    A good friend of mine has a note 5. I think it was okay. But the phone itself isn't really all that spectacular.

    iPhone camera is superior.
    That camera line is laughable. I have a 6s Plus. My wife has an S6 edge Plus, which has the same camera as the Note 5. It takes better pictures in every single situation. It's quicker to load. It takes better pictures in low light. It takes better pictures of moving objects. It has a pro mode where you can adjust pretty much every setting.

    There is no way I would ever say my iPhone camera is superior to that.
  12. #312  
    Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    That camera line is laughable. I have a 6s Plus. My wife has an S6 edge Plus, which has the same camera as the Note 5. It takes better pictures in every single situation. It's quicker to load. It takes better pictures in low light. It takes better pictures of moving objects. It has a pro mode where you can adjust pretty much every setting.

    There is no way I would ever say my iPhone camera is superior to that.
    Well thankfully I wasn't asking what you would say

    My lumia 950 xl is a superb camera that tops both. As most lumia cameras usually do anyway. But I digress.
  13. #313  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    While I love the battery life of the iPhone 6S plus, I am ditching it tomorrow after 5 months...

    Apple CarPlay is annoying, as it relies on Siri and Siri is a joke. It's a gimick and just doesn't work that well.

    And the usual long list of limitations... Lack of widgets and customization, no ability to set default apps, no file manager, dealing with crappy iTunes, the auto correct is horrible, the keyboard is sub-par, etc...

    My OnePlus 3 arrives tomorrow.
    Wildo6882 and libra89 like this.
  14. #314  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,040 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,811 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    While I love the battery life of the iPhone 6S plus, I am ditching it tomorrow after 5 months...

    Apple CarPlay is annoying, as it relies on Siri and Siri is a joke. It's a gimick and just doesn't work that well.

    And the usual long list of limitations... Lack of widgets and customization, no ability to set default apps, no file manager, dealing with crappy iTunes, the auto correct is horrible, the keyboard is sub-par, etc...

    My OnePlus 3 arrives tomorrow.
    But...it's the most magical product Apple has ever introduced...

    I know what you're saying and don't disagree with anything. Hope you enjoy your OP3. I'm sincerely looking into that phone, as well.
  15. #315  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    It is certainly a nice phone, the 6S+... It just doesn't inspire me. It's bland and other than being larger and faster, isn't fundamentally different than any iPhone that came before it.

    Siri still sucks... still the same self-imposed OS limitations that Apple seems bent on retaining despite their marketshare slipping and the entore globe flocking to Android in droves... But I am sure that they know best, right? Not the customers... haha

    It is superbly crafted, the quality is high and as I said, the battery life is stellar.. But the rest of the execution is just... bland...

    Android is where it's at for power users... I will give this OP3 a go and see how I like it. I still have my iPad Air 2, so I haven't left Apple entirely... Although the moment my new Chromebook gets the Google Play Store and I can install any and all Android apps to it and run them natively offline, the iPad's days are numbered... The chromebooks already outsell MacBooks, and once they run Android apps in addition to cloud services, they are gonna be the next big thing... Amazingly versatile devices for not much money...
    Wildo6882 likes this.
  16. #316  
    TripleOne's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,553 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,668 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    While I love the battery life of the iPhone 6S plus, I am ditching it tomorrow after 5 months...

    Apple CarPlay is annoying, as it relies on Siri and Siri is a joke. It's a gimick and just doesn't work that well.

    And the usual long list of limitations... Lack of widgets and customization, no ability to set default apps, no file manager, dealing with crappy iTunes, the auto correct is horrible, the keyboard is sub-par, etc...

    My OnePlus 3 arrives tomorrow.
    I agree with you, I do get annoyed from time to time with the lack of customisation of iOS.

    I kinda wish that in the future a phone can run 2 OS, either Android or iOS and you can just swap to the other OS whenever you want to.
  17. #317  
    Lefty724's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,131 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Finally! A thread I can relate to lol.

    I switch phones more than anyone and am most confused right now. I'm currently using a Galaxy S7 Edge while my iPhone 6s Plus just sits there looking at me in disbelief.

    I'm a Samsung guy at heart but really like my iPhone 6s Plus. The 6s Plus makes more sense, but I like doing things the hard way lol.

    I was told that the S7 Edge battery was as good (if not better) as the 6s Plus....wrong. my 6s+ blows the S7 out of the water as far as battery. The S7 has fast charge though.

    However, the small things about the S7 are really keeping here. Home buttons, screen, mini USB, number row at the top of the keyboard, ringtones etc.... are some of things I love about it.

    I had a Nexus 6p for about a week but didn't like the size or layout of things. I opted for the Nexus 5x instead. I've come to realize that I have to have a home button.....period lol.
  18. #318  
    Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    I find it troubling that users on this forum and some others frequented want ios to be more android like. Its the same thing I often read in relation to windows phone. Not everyone wants an android phone and many do prefer a more consistent user experience over a haphazard mess with half baked ideas (android) just for the sake of having them.

    It is kinda sad to me the world wants less diversity and uniqueness and more conformity. After all this mentality is precisely why windows 10 mobile lost its uniqueness because it is trying to be something it isn't. Android. I certainly hope apple doesn't follow the trend of looking like another android OEM.

    Or else I wont have any good smartphones to use lol
  19. #319  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Diversity for the sake of diversity is useless, whether we are talking phones or people... Your company should hire the best and most qualified people for the job... It shouldn't matter what color they are, what religion, whether they are male or female... If the best people are all white males, so what? If they are all South Pacific lesbians, so be it. LOL

    Anyway, applied to phones... Just being different isn't enough. Apple has insisted on staying with "their way", and the result is that they went from the top dog in the smartphone world, to Android taking over 84% of the world market. Apple went from being the wealthiest company, to losing that title. Their stock plummeted while Google's doubled.

    While Apple is different, obviously that's not always a good thing...

    People love Apple hardware, myself included. But iOS is too limiting for a lot of people, as evidenced by Android's complete takeover of the world.

    iOS could still be iOS, but lift some of the silly limitations... Let people set their own app preferences... build some widgets, make these improvements but do it with an "Apple flair"... Give users a file manager, or let them use their iPhone as a standard USB drive without clunky half baked apps that never work right...

    They can still be their own entity, but without the limitations... But when they continue to put form over function, they can't do that...
    Wildo6882 and libra89 like this.
  20. #320  
    Damien_Eternal's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nogitsune Micah View Post
    I find it troubling that users on this forum and some others frequented want ios to be more android like. Its the same thing I often read in relation to windows phone. Not everyone wants an android phone and many do prefer a more consistent user experience over a haphazard mess with half baked ideas (android) just for the sake of having them.

    It is kinda sad to me the world wants less diversity and uniqueness and more conformity. After all this mentality is precisely why windows 10 mobile lost its uniqueness because it is trying to be something it isn't. Android. I certainly hope apple doesn't follow the trend of looking like another android OEM.

    Or else I wont have any good smartphones to use lol
    ^This.
  21. #321  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Out of curiosity... what half-baked ideas are we talking about?

    Widgets? Customization? Better notification system? Better integration into Google services? Google services tending to be better than many iOS or Windows services? Having a standard USB interface and file manager support? Ability to set app preferences? Not relying on itunes? Superior voice commands than Siri? Native HDMI ports? Rapid Charging? Wireless charging? Ability to connect a thumb drive or a 3TB external hard drive to your phone and access it?

    Just a few off the top of my head... haha
  22. #322  
    Damien_Eternal's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    Out of curiosity... what half-baked ideas are we talking about?

    Widgets? Customization? Better notification system? Better integration into Google services? Google services tending to be better than many iOS or Windows services? Having a standard USB interface and file manager support? Ability to set app preferences? Not relying on itunes? Superior voice commands than Siri? Native HDMI ports? Rapid Charging? Wireless charging? Ability to connect a thumb drive or a 3TB external hard drive to your phone and access it?

    Just a few off the top of my head... haha
    iPhone has widgets. I use plenty of them. Instead of being on a homescreen they are in the pull down menu.

    Customization is not important. The more open the OS is to customization the more vulnerabilities it tends to have. Id rather have function and stability.

    Notification system seems fine to me. This one is purely subjective.

    Google services are only important if you use Google. All I use is GMail and the built in client is more than enough for me.

    Better Google than iOS? Again, subjective.

    USB/File Manager? Fine, Ill give you that one, but there are ways around it and once set up are just as if not more efficient.

    App preferences? I would like to see an example of this one. I dont know what its missing.

    You dont have to rely on iTunes for music. Install VLC Player and set up a network share. Its a bit more involved, but it works.

    Superior voice commands to Siri? I find that Siri works just fine. Again, subjective and not everything can be perfect.

    HDMI is only important if you plan on connecting to a larger display. If I need a larger display I transfer the pictures/videos to my PC and watch them that way.

    Rapid charging and wireless charging are just what I call "niceities". They are nice to have, but no means necessary. Learn how to optimize battery and carry an portable battery pack and you get around the need for rapid charging.

    There are thumb drives that connect to the iPhone that provide storage. Look on Amazon. Plenty of different kinds and styles. This is just one example: SanDisk iXpand

    A 3TB drive can be used with an iPhone. Set up either a network share on a computer with a drive that large, or set up a NAS. There are many apps like FIleExplorer for iOS that allow NAS access plus much more.
  23. #323  
    Nogitsune Micah's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,215 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    Out of curiosity... what half-baked ideas are we talking about?

    Widgets? Customization? Better notification system? Better integration into Google services? Google services tending to be better than many iOS or Windows services? Having a standard USB interface and file manager support? Ability to set app preferences? Not relying on itunes? Superior voice commands than Siri? Native HDMI ports? Rapid Charging? Wireless charging? Ability to connect a thumb drive or a 3TB external hard drive to your phone and access it?

    Just a few off the top of my head... haha
    You speak as if the entire world runs in google services. YouTube is what most the world uses it and search. Outside that Google is not relevant thus android feels less cohesive.

    Google services being better than most iOS or Windows services is highly subjective and your argument sounds a bit silly to say that. Office for example is still the dominant productivity suite more so than google docs. Google play hasn't outpaced iTunes yet.

    Many of those things on android also exist in some form on IOS with IOS 10 and Windows phone.

    In the end android success is literally less to do with the open nature and more so because when you build cheap products more people flock towards you. If the iPhone was capable of hitting Lower price points you would see the phone being obtained by more people.

    Androids benefit is that anyone can use the crap to make a cheap phone. Hence why the majority of the devices sold aren't galaxies. They are the knock offcrap you see in Walmart or other stores and even more so in emerging markets.
  24. #324  
    TripleOne's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,553 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,668 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Was using the iPhone 6 before I switched to the Note 5, since I switched to the 6s Plus, I gave my Note 5 to my Dad. Today, I was able to convince him to get a 6s Plus as well
    chrisforpm likes this.
  25. #325  
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Re: Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Damien_Eternal View Post
    iPhone has widgets. I use plenty of them. Instead of being on a homescreen they are in the pull down menu.

    Customization is not important. The more open the OS is to customization the more vulnerabilities it tends to have. Id rather have function and stability.

    Notification system seems fine to me. This one is purely subjective.

    Google services are only important if you use Google. All I use is GMail and the built in client is more than enough for me.

    Better Google than iOS? Again, subjective.

    USB/File Manager? Fine, Ill give you that one, but there are ways around it and once set up are just as if not more efficient.

    App preferences? I would like to see an example of this one. I dont know what its missing.

    You dont have to rely on iTunes for music. Install VLC Player and set up a network share. Its a bit more involved, but it works.

    Superior voice commands to Siri? I find that Siri works just fine. Again, subjective and not everything can be perfect.

    HDMI is only important if you plan on connecting to a larger display. If I need a larger display I transfer the pictures/videos to my PC and watch them that way.

    Rapid charging and wireless charging are just what I call "niceities". They are nice to have, but no means necessary. Learn how to optimize battery and carry an portable battery pack and you get around the need for rapid charging.

    There are thumb drives that connect to the iPhone that provide storage. Look on Amazon. Plenty of different kinds and styles. This is just one example: SanDisk iXpand

    A 3TB drive can be used with an iPhone. Set up either a network share on a computer with a drive that large, or set up a NAS. There are many apps like FIleExplorer for iOS that allow NAS access plus much more.
    1) Customization is important. It isn't to you now, because it isn't an option. You are fine with the "desktop" just being a slab of icons all jumbled together, and the ones that you don't want, you can create an "Other" folder to jam it all in and that's it. It has always been that way, and so you have accepted that arcane way of doing things, that's fine. However, I predict that if Apple ever lets you customize your device so that you can set it up the way that you like to work, you will evangelize it. I have seen sooooo many iOS fans over the years scoff at some feature of Android for 2 years, only to jump up and down when the "new" feature finally comes to iOS. Most of the top 10 lists of requests that iOS fans submit in polls, are features lifted from Android from 1-2 years ago...

    2) You really gonna tell me that Apple maps is better than Google Maps? LOL

    3) Setting app preferences. Let's say that I don't like the built in PDF viewer, or that there are limitations with it in that it won't open a PDF larger than 50MB. So when I have a file that exceeds that, and I do, I can't just click on it and have it open with Adobe or an app of my choosing... It has to open it with the default app. Which then fails and tells me that it cannot open it and THEN it allows me to select another app to open the file with. Ok, extra steps, but at least it will remember that next time, right? BZZZT. Wrong, it won't, I have to jump through hoops every damned time and it is annoying in 2016 to still feel like I am on Windows 3.11. In Android, the first time you click on a file, it asks you, "Which app would you like me to use when opening this? You are shown the 2 or 3 apps that can open it, and you select that and it remembers it. Next time you click on the file, it just opens it properly. Same with links to addresses if you prefer google maps... no having to copy and paste... iOS is very outdated in that respect. Android, Windows, Linux and even MacOS do it the right way, why can't iOS?

    4) Siri is a joke. Read any credible review out there and you will find that if you want speed, accuracy and to actually get stuff done, Google Now and Cortana blow Siri out of the water. If you are fine with the gimicky and lackluster abilities, that's cool. But it doesn't mean it is a good feature.

    5) Several of your points list "workarounds" and "more difficult to set up but you can do it"... Why? In 2016, if it is a commonly used feature or need, why not just "have it work" rather than have to rely on patches and workarounds that are often clunky... If I want files off of my friends external HD, like movies or something I need from work, I can't expect him to have a NAS and special software to allow me to sorta copy stuff to my phone. I want to just plug it in to his computer(or just plug the drive in directly to my phone)... be it Windows, a MacBook, Linux, even a Chromebook... and just drag and drop the files to my phone like any other thumb drive... I don't want them to have to set up a network share and crap, I don't want to have to push it to the cloud and then back down, etc... The phone has a USB interface and I have lots of space on there. Plug it in and drag the files over. Done. Works on any Windows or Android device and every thumb and USB drive, no software, no workarounds, etc... I shouldn't have to jump through hoops for something so simple, should I?

    None of this means that Apple sucks. People too often get all defensive when you point out the obvious shortcomings with a platform. These are Apple shortcomings. Many Apple fans complain about them and ask for better solutions. When they do, the solutions that they ask for are typically already standard in other platforms, in many cases, for years...
    Wildo6882, cbobb123 and libra89 like this.
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I get my messages to let me know when I have one?
    By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 06:31 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 03:11 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 02:46 PM
  4. Why did my notes under some contact names disappear when I transferred to new phone?
    By iMore Question in forum General Apple News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 01:24 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions