Have you switched from a Note 5? Hindsight Appreciated!

Laserbutt

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I currently own a Note 5. I've had 4 replacement devices, 3 of which were for the same reason.. a unresponsive top left screen portion. After going through forums on AC I eventually found the issue to be with FB messanger, a quick unistall fixed the issue. While its nice that this issue is gone apart of me refuses to accept the solution. Verizon is willing to send me a new device of my choice but I am not interested in the other android devices offered. I've had iPhones in the past and generally they are know for being stable. If you switched from a Note 5 or other android device to an iPhone 6S Plus... were you happy you did? What do you miss?

I know the obvious spec differences but am more interested in the subtle day to day differences.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
For me not really. I only got the 6s plus so it would be on par with a rooted note 5 once I jailbroke it. But no jailbreak so it's just the same as my note 5 *to me*. What i miss most is
* fast charging (my note 5 and plus barely net me 4-5 hours screen time but note 5 charges in half the time of my plus...im at 15% and only have 4 hrs of useage)
* screen (iPhones is sub-par for price tag/to note 5s)
* play store (better free apps imo)
* 3rd party keyboards (iOS 3rd party sucks)
* being able to put music on my phone without iTunes or an app
*ringtones
*back button (just personal preference )
*root
*bigger screens but smaller phones (iPhone is super long)
*easy access to my files and customization (folders only are just meh)
*fonts :(
But you sound pretty set on a iPhone, just go get one lol.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I came back to iOS from a HTC one M8. I own a S6 Edge Plus now & a 6s Plus. The only adjustment I had to get use was customization & the home screen. I regret nothing, the iPhone flies thru anything I throw at it. My advice would be to give it a shot. Carriers give u a open return window of I believe 14 days. So if u don't like it, can always swap for another device.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I ditched the iPhone 5 for a Note 3, came back to the iPhone 6. Decided to try Android again and got the Note 5. 2 months later, I got myself the 6S+ and oh my. I did not regret it at all. Battery life is beyond amazing, and it never lags! I do miss fast charging and the beautiful 2k screen. But iPhones are way more consistent compared to Android imo.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
This is my first iPhone. I had a Galaxy Nexus and Note 2 then jumped to Windows for a couple of years. I switched back to Android (HTC One M9) though because the 950/950XL was not CDMA capable (Microsoft didn't turn on CDMA for some dumb reason). I soon realized how much of a mess Android still is. Laggy, overheating, needing rebooted a lot. So, I decided to give Apple a try.

So far it's been good. Nice smooth operation, consistent throughout, decent battery life, and not having to reboot often. I still think Windows Mobile devices are superior though. Windows Mobile OS devices are smooth, consistent, and easy to use much like iOS is.

The only thing holding them back is the lack of key apps. If Microsoft licks the app problem, then they can give both iOS and Android a run for their money.

There are some things that I wish Apple would do, like adding RAW capture support for the camera, and the ability to automatically read text messages over BT while I'm driving (I subscribe to a local traffic feed).

I did notice that the 6s Plus is noticeably heavier than the Note phones (even heavier than my Galaxy Tab S2 (8"). And I found the stylus on the Note 2 not very useful so I'm not missing it on the iPhone. The physical size isn't a problem though...at least not for me. It's only a 1/2 inch bigger than my Lumia Icon and M9.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
A few things I've noticed...

The screen in the Note 5 is nothing short of amazing.

Low-light camera performance is better than the 6S+, I think the macro shots are marginally better as well. I think it has a tendency to exaggerate highlights though.

Other than that, I feel the 6S+ and even the 6S is a better phone for my needs

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
A few things I've noticed...

The screen in the Note 5 is nothing short of amazing.

Low-light camera performance is better than the 6S+, I think the macro shots are marginally better as well. I think it has a tendency to exaggerate highlights though.

Other than that, I feel the 6S+ and even the 6S is a better phone for my needs

Completely forgot about the camera. The Note 5's camera beats the 6S+'s camera hands down.

ctseattlewa

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to be switching to an iPhone 6s Plus from a Note 5 this Thursday, I am using my 1 Verizon exchange, and its just my personal preference, Android is not for me.

I wanted the Note 5 because I love being able to take notes on the screen, but it's a lot more awkward than I thought, especially being left handed lol.

- I know everyone complains about iPhones only having 1 button, but the back button really bothered me on the Note 5, because I kept bumping the back buttons or menu button when trying to type with both hands.
- I wanted to root my phone to get some added features and add customization, but I guess I can't do that with my Verizon phone? Argh
- I thought I would be able to write on the calendar, and on the back of my photos like the Note 4, but I guess that feature was taken away.
- I had a BIG issue with the back button and screen not working when I watched videos, and I would have to hit the power button to lock my phone, unlock it, and try again, only for the back button and screen to do the same thing a few minutes later.
- There were lags at some point.

It was a very nice phone, but I just want something simple with a really smooth, clean interface, so I will go back to iOs.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I miss:
the S pen a little. I really didn't use it much.

the screen. it's 5.7" QHD vs 1080p and the Note 5 is smaller in Height and Width even though it has a larger screen since it doesn't have the massive top and bottom bezel like iPhone.

The camera. it is better than iPhone.

Google Now. WAY better than Siri... omg Siri is so behind Cortana and Google now it's not even funny.

The premium feel of the Note 5 over the iPhone.

Being able to put my apps near the bottom of the screen where I want them. Not at the top where they are hardest to reach one handed... I hate apples stupid *** auto arrange on the icons.

Widgets - but not nearly as much after getting apple watch to cover quick info like temp, date, calendar etc.

What I don't miss:

Laggy keyboard.
waiting 7-12 months to get the latest OS and Security updates.
Picture messages not sending all the time. Android needs to work on this... it's so bad.
having 2 separate email apps.

I'm tired. that's all i got right now...

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I made the change from the Note 5 to the 6s plus. Primarily for ecosystem reasons and the fact everyone in my circle uses an iPhone.

Am I happy about making the change? Sure. Do I miss the Note 5? No. I still have it and use it all the time lol.

The Note 5 is in my opinion a better all around device then the iPhone 6s Plus. The note has a much better display, camera, and all around performance. It feels so much snappier. It's also easier to hold and use one handed keeping in mind that it has a larger display! The build quality is rock solid also.

I do like the 6s plus as its a simpler device to use. I don't think it has any clear advantages other than the operating system. The good news is all the main google apps work on iOS so that makes it nice for android folks.

What I miss most is multitasking from the Note 5. Apple needs to incorporate that feature in the future.

I do like iOS as its stable and Apple Music is great.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I currently have both the iPhone 6S Plus and the Note 5. I wasn't going to get the iPhone because I was very content with my Note 5. But nonetheless I have one. As far as the fast charger, if you get an iPad charging brick it charges the iPhone at about the same rate as the fast charger does with the Note 5. I like the AMOLED screens that Samsung makes. The clarity is better on the Note 5. And the brightness of the screen is unreal on the Note 5. Battery life is better on my iPhone. I like the s-pen over 3D Touch. The iPhone keyboard is better. Siri works more consistently than s-voice or Google Now. Note 5 camera is better. Video capture is better on the iPhone though. Overall speed is very close between the two until you get to gaming. Then you see that the iPhone is a clear winner. Note 5's LED light, wireless charging capability, and fingerprint scanner are pluses. Touch ID isn't as good to me, too sensitive. Samsung Pay and the Samsung software feature set is unrivaled in my opinion. Apple's integration of its suite of apps and services is tighter and more consistent. Lightning connector mute switch are awesome hardware features. And then there is iMessage and FaceTime. Android and or Samsung have not been able to crack this one as of yet. And this is where the biggest advantage to Apple lies.

2ndHalfCor

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I currently have both the iPhone 6S Plus and the Note 5. I wasn't going to get the iPhone because I was very content with my Note 5. But nonetheless I have one.

Sounds like you have wavered on your one-device quest! Lol. But there is a lesson in that for me. I've got a Note 5 which is probably the best phone I've ever had. I also have an iPhone 5s on another line. Since I no longer have the responsibilities that made the Note 5's note-taking ability important to me, it's huge size and weight have started to, uh, weigh me down. I've been thinking of going to an iPhone 6s. But it's hard to give up the Note's positive qualities. I'm afraid of what I would miss. Thanks for the breakdown of Pro's and Con's. I guess I need both phones!

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I switched from the Note 5 to the 6s Plus and won't look back.. The Note 5 is nice with wireless charging and fast charging, but the Note 5 would freeze, lag, keyboard lag sucked bad, emoji's aren't nearly the same, waiting for software updates and having features turned off by the carrier sucked..

With the iPhone it's much more stable, keyboard is super fast and auto correct is much better on iOS than android, plus when a new software update hits I get it that day

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been an Android guy for about the last 3 years, using an iOS device here and there, but primarily on Android. I recently switched to a 6s Plus and have no intentions at this point in time of going back to Android. Since August I've used three phones (other than my current 6s Plus). Those are: Note 5, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X. The Note 5 had a beautiful screen, took awesome pictures, was plenty fast, and had solid battery life. The Nexus 6P was similar in those respects to the Note 5. And the Nexus 5X was the worst of the bunch being that I noticed a fair amount of lag. These are the reasons I've moved on from Android at this point in time:

1) Lack of updates (Note 5 only) - this makes that phone a non-starter for me. In this day and age, I can't afford to wait for Samsung to push a security update and then have to wait for AT&T to approve of it. I use my phone for work, and have some sensitive material on there. I'd rather not leave myself open to an exploit. At least with Nexus devices you get the updates early. But nothing is faster on the update front than an iPhone.

2) Lack of cohesion in the ecosystem. There is no complimentary device to an Android phone like there is to an iPhone. I can use a Mac or iPad with my iPhone and they work together as one. I can answer calls and texts on my Mac or iPad without having to download a third party app. Sure you can do this on Android, but it isn't native and isn't nearly as intuitive.

3) Lack of support from the manufacturer. If I buy an AT&T Note 5 and something goes wrong, I have to deal with AT&T and not Samsung. And Samsung's customer service is terrible anyway. Google's customer service is solid, but honestly, nothing beats Apple's customer service. If you have an Apple Store nearby, you can go in there and get taken care of. Or if you don't, you can call and deal with (in my experience) very helpful people. It just gives me peace of mind.

4) Along the lines of #3, I just don't trust any Android phone to work as intended, or at least not for long. You hear/read of many horror stories of updates breaking a ton of things, Bluetooth not working properly, etc. Sure things don't always go as intended with Apple, nothing is without its faults, but they seem minor to me compared with the issues with Android devices.

5) For what I have come to use a phone for, iOS does it the best and the quickest. My 6s Plus is the most fluid device I've ever used. Battery life is insane. The main things I use my phone for are text messages (iMessage is great and even regular SMS seems to work better than anything on Android); pictures (may not be the best, but it is an all around solid performer and videos are fantastic); some apps and games - which always seem to be slightly better and come out earlier for Apple. Plus I can still use everything Google.

Hope this helps out, and sorry if it's kind of a stream of consciousness.

Devilsden

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I went back to an iphone after two years with a Note 3. I loved my phone but went back for a couple of reasons which I will state below:

1) Security and software updates, I do not like how long it takes for an update to hit any non-google phone. 6 months to 8 months to receive an update is completely unacceptable to me. With Apple the day they update the software or send a security patch I can download it onto my phone.

2) I had to have my phone replaced three times because the charging port came loose. When you have to start over with Android you have to physically go in and adjust the settings, shut off the bloatware and add your passwords. With Apple if you have an issue you just plug in the phone, sync it and your back to the way it was with your old phone. This is also the case with having to do a restore to factory settings.

3) I do miss the customization aspect of Android, setting up the screen and the launchers were a lot of fun to play with on the phone.

4) I do not notice a huge difference in picture quality between the two so I think that is a push.

All in all I would not go back to Android until they fix the software update issue. In the age of hacking operating systems I would prefer not to wait 6-8 months for them to issue the update and my carrier to make the necessary adjustments so that they can push it out to my phone.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
With swipe to go back and now Force Swipe, why do people still complain about the lack of a back button? I don?t even use the home button my 6s, and I too come from an Android phone (Moto X).

sp44

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
For me not really. I only got the 6s plus so it would be on par with a rooted note 5 once I jailbroke it. But no jailbreak so it's just the same as my note 5 *to me*. What i miss most is
* fast charging (my note 5 and plus barely net me 4-5 hours screen time but note 5 charges in half the time of my plus...im at 15% and only have 4 hrs of useage)
* screen (iPhones is sub-par for price tag/to note 5s)
* play store (better free apps imo)
* 3rd party keyboards (iOS 3rd party sucks)
* being able to put music on my phone without iTunes or an app
*ringtones
*back button (just personal preference )
*root
*bigger screens but smaller phones (iPhone is super long)
*easy access to my files and customization (folders only are just meh)
*fonts :(
But you sound pretty set on a iPhone, just go get one lol.

If I missed all that I wouldn't have an iPhone!

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I never liked Android OS and its interface is pretty unfriendly as compared to iOS. I've got many friends who use Android (Samsung) in particular and are switching back to iOS for fluidity and some even said they've sent back their Samsung phones to the service centre at least twice within 2 years (that's the contractual service provider period here in Singapore) while I haven't sent an iPhone for servicing since 3GS days, so reliability is also an issue.

Coming back to the Note 5, I've a couple of colleagues using them and so far other than the occasional hangs and crashes, no other complains. I'm using the 6s Plus now and so far so good, except once it just restarted itself.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods