Travel over seas

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I have a Verizon 6S plus. I'm going to be traveling overseas for a few months starting in January. I will not be upgrading to a high cost travel plan but I'd like to either wifi call (which isn't available on a Verizon iPhone) or put a prepaid SIM card in my phone to make calls while I'm there. Anyone have any suggestions on what options I might have?

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There's a app called magic jack and if your in the military there should be a military department to talk to that should be able to help you unlock your iPhone sucks there's no WiFi calling with verzion

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So I have a Verizon 6S plus. I'm going to be traveling overseas for a few months starting in January. I will not be upgrading to a high cost travel plan but I'd like to either wifi call (which isn't available on a Verizon iPhone) or put a prepaid SIM card in my phone to make calls while I'm there. Anyone have any suggestions on what options I might have?

Verizon iPhone is unlocked factory so when you get to Germany just get a prepaid local carriers service SIM card and pop it in. When you return put your Verizon sim back.
Use wifi as much as possible and you can use apps like Skype and tango etc. to cut down on the prepaid sim usage depending what options they offer. If I remember I think T-Mobile is in Germany so it might be a option.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
T-Mobile has great pre-paid SIM plans in Germany and great coverage too. Turn off cellular data so you're only using data when you're on WiFi. You can also put your Verizon account on "suspend" if you'll be away for a month or longer. The months on suspend do not count towards fulfilling your contract but they'll only charge you $10 per month while you're away and not using Verizon. My daughter was in London for a semester and took her iPhone 5s. When she got there she popped a SIM from Three Wireless into the phone and immediately had a local number on a local plan.

Here's some good messaging apps for international use: 10 of the Best Messenger Apps for International Travel (list)
We used WhatsApp while she was overseas and it worked like a charm.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

I was in Rome two weeks ago. I just walked into an Italian carrier (TIM) and bought a month-long plan that they had specifically for tourists. It was 2GB, 200 minutes of international calling, and 5 euros of credit for texts for about $35.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Download vonage app you can make calls to U.S. over wifi for free. I've also used Rebtel which cost but very cheap to call back to U.S. and when you call back it will show your number on caller ID.

zachthebomb13

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I just wanted to double check. My brother is going to spend 6 weeks in London and he has a iPhone 6 from Verizon. Will he be able to land, pop in a local SIM, and it just work? Thanks for the help everyone!

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I have to wonder about is the cellular band support over there and if it will be compatible with the phone. I know some places will use different cellular radio bands than what is used here. I know the phones vary based on carrier here with what bands they support.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I have to wonder about is the cellular band support over there and if it will be compatible with the phone. I know some places will use different cellular radio bands than what is used here. I know the phones vary based on carrier here with what bands they support.

Refer to iPhone - View countries with supported LTE networks - Apple and find your phone model to check which networks are compatible for LTE in your destination country(ies). You will probably find that even if you don't have full LTE (4G) compatibility the phone will fall back to 3G which is fine for voice but a bit slow for data.