Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bones467
  • 1 Post By Ledsteplin
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

11 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,710 Global Posts

Question Newbie with some how to questions

I just switched over to iPhone about a week ago and have some how to questions.

1) Is it possible to mute notifications while on a phone call? I've been told you can't without using the silent switch on the side of the phone.

2) Do apps close? I found that if you double tap the home button it brings up your open apps and you can swipe up to get rid of them. Does this close them? I ask this because I have the iHeart radio app and it always seems to be running even though when I double tsp the home button I don't see it. I say this because as soon as I get in my car if I have the radio set to Bluetooth it picks up iHeart.

3) How do I find files I downloaded? I downloaded a catalog from a manufacturer I deal with at work but there doesn't seem to be a file manger.

4) Anyone know of a keyboard with top row numbers? I miss this from my Samsung.

I'm sure there are or will be a lot more but that's it for now.

Last edited by eds817; 11-25-2015 at 03:45 AM.
    iMore Intermediate

201 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Default Re: Newbie with some how to questions

Hello and welcome to iMore, to answer your questions....
    1) The only ways to mute notifications are with the silent switch as you mention (turns off sound and vibrations if you have it set that way) but they still show on the phone, second way to go to settings/notifications and adjust the options to best suit.

2) Apps remain open in the background, allowing faster movement between apps etc, swiping up closes them (good for saving battery), the iheart app loads as the iPhone has more than likely learnt from pass use that when in your car and iPhone connected that is the app you want open.

3) Best way to search for items on your phone is pulling down from top of screen and using the search bar

4) No idea on aftermarket keyboards as I have always used the standard one.

Hope this helps feel free to ask anything else!
    eds817 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

1 Posts

Hi my name is Joidan Bullard I'm 13 years old and I still have the same phone from when I was in 3rd grade and when I seen the iPhone 6plus I wanted it that's all I ask for and Mom has 5 other kids and thats why I want a iPhone so bad and if I win I will love u all so much

Swiping apps out of multitasking only helps if the app is misbehaving. Running too much or etc. Most apps don't run in the background long. A few seconds to a minute. In time you'll see which ones may be necessary to close out to save battery power. But you can start with Facebook. LOL Be sure you close the iHeart app with the home button and not the power button. Using the power button may leave it running.
    blackmagicwoman likes this.
    iMore Elite

2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,389 Global Posts

Thanks as always for your assistance and knowledge.