I'm thinking of going to the dark side, can you help?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the 6s plus camera is only good for low light and night time. I prefer the note 5 for selfies and daytime photos. 6s+ front facing is so subpar (I see why people use 50 million apps to edit them) I've given up on the selfie lyfe on my 6s+ and now just carry my note 5 as my camera haha. But, I honestly wouldn't recommend the 6s/6s +....I would say just stick with your current phone nothing is really "good" the note 5, s6/edge/edge +, g4/v10 are all really lacking to me. Just wait for something truly good to come out if you can and save your money lol.

fanaticalism

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
That is a huge caveat. Most users won't have that ability, since they use Samsungs, and don't use Google Now Launcher. Every iPhone user has this available with no caveats.
I think it's important for us to take a few steps back.

Your initial point of contention was that android did not have a full backup and restore even after I explained that it did. You wanted to see it to believe it, so I provided visuals.

I won't disagree that it is a "big" caveat, but being an android user, you would know that android is about choice and we pick the OEM or skin that suits our needs best. Like any OS (iOS included), they have their pros and cons.

My choice? Stock android. It provides the smoothness and ecosystem that Apple provided but in a cross platform approach that enables me to choose the hardware that suits my needs and personal preferences but in its mobile form has Google's services deeply embedded in the software and hardware.

Chargerman165

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Dark side? It is the side of light. Was a Blacberry fan then one of the biggest Andriod fans starting with Verizon's first Driod. Had most all of them and back a few years ago you couldn't have given me an iPhone. Now you couldn't give me anything else. I guess one of my cons is that you can't customize an iPhone unless you jailbreak it but then I also find it a pro because with all the customization it becomes time issue and I got tired of it. I change phones a lot and on Apple products both of my phones and iPad sync up seamlessly. When I get a new phone or tablet I just back up the old one in iTunes and restore the new one likewise and all is back to normal. Also when there is a software update everybody gets it not like Android where it might be six months before you get it if at all depending on the carrier. Finally although not much I haven't learn about using an Android over time I find that IOS much easier to learn and thing I love the most Apple devices simply work and work well. No freezing or lag issues. Oh and one final thing the same apps that I got on Andriod seem to be superior on the iPhone even if I have to pay for them.

csiguy1

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
OK, I have used every major brand of cell phone out there. As I keep saying the grass is greener on the other side, it really isn't if you just want a phone that just works and works and works. I always come back to iPhone. I have about 3000 customer in my iPhone that syncs with my iPads, MacBook, etc. Nothing that I have found works any better. I live and die by my phone to make a living and I just came back to iPhone with a 6S Plus and couldn't be happier. Some phones have more features etc, but none are the work horse that the iPhone is. Cell Phones are not toys to me, they are tools to make a living with and stay in touch with my family and iPhone just does a great job at both.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
OK, I have used every major brand of cell phone out there. As I keep saying the grass is greener on the other side, it really isn't if you just want a phone that just works and works and works. I always come back to iPhone. I have about 3000 customer in my iPhone that syncs with my iPads, MacBook, etc. Nothing that I have found works any better. I live and die by my phone to make a living and I just came back to iPhone with a 6S Plus and couldn't be happier. Some phones have more features etc, but none are the work horse that the iPhone is. Cell Phones are not toys to me, they are tools to make a living with and stay in touch with my family and iPhone just does a great job at both.

I'm with you. I was an all-Android guy. I come from a background of using Linux, a computer programmer, tech nerd and all that. I loved tinkering with Android. iOS was always a nice place to visit though. It took zero effort to just step into it and be comfortable. As I got older and depended on my phone more and more for my job and communication with my family my desire to tinker fell off pretty quickly. I moved to an iPhone 6 last year and was pretty excited to do so. I fell right into it. It was great.

This year I got a 6S Plus, but the Nexus 6P sparked my curiosity, so I ordered one. And it felt pretty weird. Going from years of Android right into iOS was seamless. Going from 11 months of iOS to Android was pretty jarring.

I'm still a technology nerd but when it comes to this tool that I depend on, having an iPhone is pretty comforting.

macguy59

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No widgets - If you're used to widgets its hard to be without them. It takes that many more steps to get the information you need.

Not true. Apple calls them "extensions" but they are clearly widgets that can reside in the pull down curtain. I actually prefer them this way. A swipe down when I want them and swipe back up when I don't.

IMG_0087.jpg

garfnodie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched and I hate it. I got a 6+, and it's a beautiful piece of hardware, good battery life, and lots of beautiful apps; all stuff you can get with Android now. I've actually started a "Gripe List" document so I have easy justification for when I can finally afford a new phone again.
  1. First issue I have is with music apps. I deliver pizza, so I'm in and out of my car many times a day, and I use BT with a USB powered dongle that then attaches to my AUX in jack. Car turns on, USB adapter is now powered up, dongle turns on and connects to my phone. On rare occasions, a music app might start playing automatically, but I don't know which one, could be Apple Music, Google Music, or Pandora, and there's no way for me pick which one will launch. It usually doesn't start automatically, and that'e fine beecause I can just hit play on the dongle, but again, I have no idea what music app will start. It can be thrity minutes since it was paused and the same app will start when I hit play, or it could have been three minutes since it paused and a different app could start playing instead.
  2. Can't set file associations. I knew you couldn't set something like Chrome as your default browser, but I thought I'd be able to set say a specific app for a PDF or something like that. No.
  3. "Media Audio" vs "Phone Audio." On Andorid, when you connect a bluetooth audio device, like the dongle in my car, you can specify if that device does "Phone Audio", "Media Audio" or both. This is nice because on the dongle in my car, the microphone sucks, so I'd rather just answer my phone the normal "phone-to-ear" method, but I can't. If the phone is connected to the bluetooth, and I answer, it goes to the dongle's mic and car speakers automatically, so now I have to say loudly for the person on the phone to hold a sec as I switch over to phone. I also have to pick phone or bluetooth when making a call instead of having a default. I already tried the accessibility option of speaker phone always, but that was just as annoying as even call's not in the car went to speaker by default, which sucks. These things are big deal to me when driving because it's extra steps requiring more time eyes on screen and off road to complete the call or answer actions. I make many calls a night as I have lots of places I deliver where I can't go inside, like factories, college dorms, and business' who lock the main doors after hours. I call before I get to my destination in the hopes that the customer will be waiting when I arive and can get back to store sooner.
  4. iPhone's just seem to use a lot of data out of the box. It's fine for me as I have unlimited data, but still weird. I can remember my step mother having a iPhone 3g years ago and my father having an Android phone, and my Dad used the hell out of his data with google and videos and music, but he always used like a quarter of the data as his wife, who barly knew how to use the web browser or even know how to use Google on her phone.
  5. It sucks that when in apps like Amazon/Kindle, or Google Play(Movies, Music, etc.), or any other app that has digital media to buy, you can't buy them withing the app unless you want to pay more because of Apple requiring a 30% cut of all digital media sales. For example, if you setup a Spotify account on the iPhone or any other iOS device, it'll cost you $3 more than if you had purchased your membership through a web browser.
  6. I like how on Android, from within one app, I can purchase apps, music, movies, tv shows, books and magazines, and the browser based verson of Google Play even adds devices into the mix. Not like Apple who has one app for apps, one for audio/video, and one for books/magazines, and a whole other app for physical things.
  7. This thing crashes a lot more than any Android I've had(iOS 8 & 9) and has slowed a noticable amount since iOS 9 was installed. Since iOS 9 came out, things have gone from mostly smooth, to jerky and well, not smooth. I hear it works a lot better on the new hardware. This is the only things that makes regret not waiting a couple of months to get the 6s+ instead of just the regular 6+.
  8. Another weird thing is denying calls. I had to look up how to deny a call when the phone was asleep when a call came in, there was nothing on the screen to indicate to hit power once to silence and another to deny. I've always known about tapping power to silence, I've been using that since before the OG Blackberry curve(the one with a ball, not the pad).
  9. I've noticed little inconsistencies here and there too, and one in particular always sticks in my mine. If you're looking at images of apps while in the app store, you hit "DONE" in the upper right, but if it's an app video, "DONE" is in the upper left. I know it's a trivial thing, but it actually throws me off at times, and for a company who prides themselve on paying attention to the little things, this really irks me.
  10. Third party keyboards kind of suck on iOS. You can't use them in password boxes, they sometimes never even come up and I'm forced to kill an app and relaunch it just to get the keyboard to come up.
  11. I still can't share directly to a Facebook Group as I could on Android. It's hard to explain so here's a couple of video's illustrating what I mean.
    http://youtu.be/9Z_-rYc8QBw
    http://youtu.be/tbSRQgbIwIQ
  12. The "Notification" and "Today" pull down's are a joke in my opinion. A half-assed attemt to blatanly copy Android. A good idea to be sure, but a very poorly executed one.
  13. And finally, iOS hates Pebble watches. My watch got stuck in a safe mode loop. I can reset the watch, try to connect it to app, app says to put watch in safe mode, but app never detects that watch in now in safe mode as it supposed to and all I can do is try again, but get to same results. Ended up putting watch in drawer, probably never to use again as by the time I get an Android again, it'll probably no longer be supported, my luck and all

The positives of this phone are beutiful hardware, great battery life, cool and plentiful accessory market, lots of great, beautify apps. I also really love how Tim Cook is really fighting this whole non-secure and anti-encryption thing. I think if anyone can help promote secure phones and hardware with no back-doors, it's Cook and Apple.

Well, that's my soap box of things that bother me that I never saw mentioned elsewhere. I'm getting used to the phone, but these are all still problems and I will be dumping this phone as soon as I can pay it off.

On a side note, I have an iPad mini 3, running iOS 9 as well and I love it, but I use it differently than a phone, so I really have no problems with it.

Last edited:

chasvs

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I know how you feel! I was a big BB fan/user until they fell behind and moved to Windows phone on VZW several years ago with Windows Phone 7. I was with them through 7 to Win10 Mobile (Previews) hoping that the new lumia 950's would be the devices I've always wanted. Well I'm on Verizon and as you probably know they aren't carrying or allowing the new lumia on their network. I've been using a Lumia Icon since they came out and can't imagine waiting another year for a possible new Microsoft device to come to VZW so I've moved to an iPhone 6S Plus for now.

I miss the Windows Phone OS and saw a Lumia 950XL when they first were on display at m local Microsoft Store. I fell in love with it, but that was before it was confirmed that it wasn't coming to VZW. I am going to try the iPhone for the next year and see how it goes for me. At this point I've been using it for about 2 weeks and do like it very much. I'm still following the release of Windows Mobile 10 and the 950s to see how they work out so my love of windows Phone hasn't left me.

Daniel Rubino over at Windows Central had been asked which OS he would go to if Windows Mobile ultimately failed. While he said he doubted that would ever happen, he did say he would likely move to iOS. He said while he finds the OS boring, it was the most stable, mature and secure OS with plenty of apps at this time. From my short use of the iPhone 6S Plus, I have to agree with his opinion.

Will I ever go back to Windows Phone if VZW brings a HERO Windows Device to their network? I think so, but at this point I know I'm still new to the iPhone and things may change. Of course if MSFT and VZW don't get together soon, the point might be moot. I'm not about to go to AT&T just to get a Windows Phone, and the the only device on VZW at this time is a mid-level device that can't come close to the iPhone or Lumia 950's of MSFT.

GeoK

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
I have a Blackberry Passport which super great to use. Solid functioning and reliable. And the battery life? Nobody can touch it. I travel and don't worry about cords.
Can the 6s Plus can do a real whole day and still have 40-47 percent battery life like my Passport? I may be better off staying with my Blackberry Passport.
I know the 6s cannot do a full day. My friends are always running out of battery.

dkeven

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I just put my Nexus 6 on eBay committing to the 6s plus. Not super impressed with it but for me battery life has been great, off charger 7 am back in at 11:15pm usually 30% or better left none of my androids did that. Still searching for useful apps not as many free as android hate to double phones price with software guess that's why people stay with em. Works ok for my use currently

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Can the 6s Plus can do a real whole day and still have 40-47 percent battery life like my Passport?

There's a whole lot of "it depends" with this. Depends on usage of course. If you're on your phone all day, probably not.

If you use it like an average phone user, absolutely.

My last 100% - 1% period was off charger at 6:30am on a Thursday, and hit 1% about 3:00pm on Friday. I used my phone a fair amount. If I was gaming and constantly steaming music or watching Netflix/YouTube it obviously wouldn't have made it as far.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just put my Nexus 6 on eBay committing to the 6s plus. Not super impressed with it but for me battery life has been great, off charger 7 am back in at 11:15pm usually 30% or better left none of my androids did that. Still searching for useful apps not as many free as android hate to double phones price with software guess that's why people stay with em. Works ok for my use currently
Did you consider either of the new Nexus devices? It sounds like you aren't 100% happy with your 6s Plus other than battery life. I can completely understand where you're coming from after quite a few years on Android myself. I have an issue committing to one or the other at this point. Each one is missing something that the other has. My Nexus 6P has been off the charger for around 12 hours and I have 30% battery left. It hasn't been a heavy day, but it's still going pretty strong.

GeoK

May 29, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty good for both you and your battery life. I get to about 36-42 % on my Blackberry Passport for a similar heavy day. (Don't laugh). the Passport works well. Need that battery strong life. More heavy email and text, but talking also.

Did you consider either of the new Nexus devices? It sounds like you aren't 100% happy with your 6s Plus other than battery life. I can completely understand where you're coming from after quite a few years on Android myself. I have an issue committing to one or the other at this point. Each one is missing something that the other has. My Nexus 6P has been off the charger for around 12 hours and I have 30% battery left. It hasn't been a heavy day, but it's still going pretty strong.

dkeven

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
yes thought seriously about the 6p, tried the mxpe, the note 5 and decided to do the apple thing this year, bought the 128gb model so I am pretty heavily invested at this time. Have the nextbit robin coming just to see their take on it. Not ready to lose my **** on this apple to go to the 6p, once they downsized from the nex6 I decided to jump ship since they are all similar in size now. Phone seems well made and works well enough, premium price I was ok with but getting gouged on every good app is disappointing. Just going to keep plugging away to see what all the hype is about, but if I had it to do over may have stayed with android

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
yes thought seriously about the 6p, tried the mxpe, the note 5 and decided to do the apple thing this year, bought the 128gb model so I am pretty heavily invested at this time. Have the nextbit robin coming just to see their take on it. Not ready to lose my **** on this apple to go to the 6p, once they downsized from the nex6 I decided to jump ship since they are all similar in size now. Phone seems well made and works well enough, premium price I was ok with but getting gouged on every good app is disappointing. Just going to keep plugging away to see what all the hype is about, but if I had it to do over may have stayed with android
Why don't you sell the iPhone and grab a 6P then? You should be able to do that with no money out of pocket. iPhones hold their value pretty well. Why use something that you aren't happy with? Not every OS is for everyone. I like both, but prefer the freedom and customization of Android just a bit over iOS. I don't root or anything, just like to have a little more control over how my phone works.

dkeven

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm really trying to like the iPhone and give it a fair shake. Will eventually buy the next nexus, didn't see the 6p as a big jump over nex6 so thought I'd take a walk on the tame side

garfnodie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya. Can't wait to pay off my 6 plus so I can switch back to Android, just too many little things I've come across about iOS that I don't like that make horrible for me. I even researched the hell out of iOS and the 6plus, but the things I hate were things that were never brought up in any kind of "switched to iOS" forum/blog posts I found. Even jailbreaking it doesn't really make it any better, for me.
I guess I should have known though, as I'm the type who likes the complicated. If I was presented with two home surround recievers that had all th exact same internals, one had four buttons and the other had fifty, I'd pick the one with fifty buttons. I'm just an odd duck like that I guess.

kimdushinski

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
I recently switched from Android (Samsung Galaxy 4).

The one thing I really love is the ability to know whether a message has been read or not.

There are two things I find as a major CON to the iPhone.

First is the alarm. Not being able to change the snooze time to 5 minutes has driven me to seek a third party app and many of those don't work unless they are left running all night. If I wanted to have to turn my alarm on every night I would just go back to the clock I used before I had a smartphone.

The other is the ability to change text size easily with the volume button. If I have my glasses on, I am good with smaller size type. If I don't then I have to admit I need to hit that button and go bigger. One size does not fit all for me.

Both of these are features I use every single day and sometimes multiple times per day. They are enough to make me want to consider using the 14 day return policy and go back to Android.