The new Nexus 6P comes very close, but is no 6S Plus

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
That is true but I love mainly using it for previewing links in Safari before actually opening them and then calling my mom from the home just by pressing down on the phone icon. The same was true for TouchID but now quite a few of my apps use it for authentication. There's no apps right now that I used on my iPhone in the Play store that takes advantage of the fingerprint sensor. I know that will change but after using it on iPhone and Apple Pay in apps to reload my Starbucks card and Panera there's no going back for me.

I have the 6p and 6s plus and there is no comparison between android and iOS with how integrated Touch ID is. The 6p is great but I don't think I like the sensor on the back of the phone. Always have to pick the phone up if I'm doing work at my desk.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the 6p and 6s plus and there is no comparison between android and iOS with how integrated Touch ID is. The 6p is great but I don't think I like the sensor on the back of the phone. Always have to pick the phone up if I'm doing work at my desk.

Exactly that's why I won't be switching to the 6P.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The scanner is at the back because it has front facing speakers.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

I actually liked it on the back. I just hate the fact that it's not being utilized much at all yet. I do love just placing my finger on and the phone just unlocking so awesome!

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
The 6p is great but I don't think I like the sensor on the back of the phone. Always have to pick the phone up if I'm doing work at my desk.

Just set up Smart Locks and all you'll have to do is click the power button on the side. No need to use the rear sensor for that. I do miss being able to tap the screen to wake though (an Android function), which doesn't appear to be a function of stock Marshmallow unfortunately.

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am actually really loving the Nexus 6p. I find android to offer me more, such as google now and how it tells me time home, puts emails for appointment right into my calendar, saves where i parked, etc. The app gap isn't an issue to me whatsoever and I found some apps to actually be more feature rich somehow? For example, theChive had way more posts on the android version with them nowhere to be found on iOS. As far the camera went I found it to be on par if not better in some situations. They each took better pics in different environments. Video was definitely not as bad as you say as I have an iPhone 6s (not plus so I know the OIS makes a difference). The display is fantastic and has front facing speakers and still manages to be the same size as the iPhone 6s plus. With apples design chops how in the hell have they not figured out smaller bezels? I absolutely love the finger print sensor and find it quicker and more convenient to how i actually pick up my phone. Yes on a desk it is not accessible, but google being awesome you can set up secure locations where it can be bypassed, such as the office.

The only reason I may not keep it is because apples stupid "locking in" and close mindedness. I cannot as easily share photos, reminders, and calendar events with my wife using her iphone. I do like having the ability to very easily share calendar events and photo albums with her and my family. Oh and facetime. My grandparents can barely figure that out I can't imagine the nightmare having them have to sign up for skype or something else...

Other than that I would say its the best android yet and I just came from using the note 5 on the trial. I like this better as I get the latest and greatest updates, security, and heres the best part this phone at 64 gb is 300 less than the iphone 6s+ and the only thing we can knock is videos aren't "quite as good". Thats ridiculous that apple gets that premium for having 3d touch and OIS...

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I am actually really loving the Nexus 6p. I find android to offer me more, such as google now and how it tells me time home, puts emails for appointment right into my calendar, saves where i parked, etc. The app gap isn't an issue to me whatsoever and I found some apps to actually be more feature rich somehow? For example, theChive had way more posts on the android version with them nowhere to be found on iOS. As far the camera went I found it to be on par if not better in some situations. They each took better pics in different environments. Video was definitely not as bad as you say as I have an iPhone 6s (not plus so I know the OIS makes a difference). The display is fantastic and has front facing speakers and still manages to be the same size as the iPhone 6s plus. With apples design chops how in the hell have they not figured out smaller bezels? I absolutely love the finger print sensor and find it quicker and more convenient to how i actually pick up my phone. Yes on a desk it is not accessible, but google being awesome you can set up secure locations where it can be bypassed, such as the office.

The only reason I may not keep it is because apples stupid "locking in" and close mindedness. I cannot as easily share photos, reminders, and calendar events with my wife using her iphone. I do like having the ability to very easily share calendar events and photo albums with her and my family. Oh and facetime. My grandparents can barely figure that out I can't imagine the nightmare having them have to sign up for skype or something else...

Other than that I would say its the best android yet and I just came from using the note 5 on the trial. I like this better as I get the latest and greatest updates, security, and heres the best part this phone at 64 gb is 300 less than the iphone 6s+ and the only thing we can knock is videos aren't "quite as good". Thats ridiculous that apple gets that premium for having 3d touch and OIS...

I've been using my old iPhone 5s and iPad for those functions (photos, FaceTime) since purchasing the 6P. For the photos, just have Google Photos backup automatically from the 6P; download the ones you want to the iPad (or an old iPhone) and share them in Apple Photos that way. Yes, it's another step, but it works flawlessly. And I happen to agree about the Android experience. It's a lot more fun.

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yea its just if my wife has her photos on her shared album I won't see them on the 6p itself. However I have been doing the google photos backup and it works great. I love it way more than iOS photos. Especially the assistant, it has made some seriously cool videos, frames and effects to some of the photos in the library that I would never have thought about doing. I guess with facebook and stuff we can always just upload an album there and its not a big deal for her to download skype or something to replace facetime. To me may be worth the incovenience for how great the 6P is.

fanaticalism

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Just have her install Google Photos. You'll both be able to view each others photos with the best part being she doesn't have to do anything fancy outside of downloading the app and setting up user name and pass. It won't have any affect on the Apple photos app.

For video chat I just use Hangouts as it eliminates the need for another app and it comes preinstalled on all Android devices, not to mention I use the multi-person video chat quite a bit. If you guys use Facebook, why not just video chat there?

Jukens

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Even if the video quality turned out to be acceptable, the deal breaker for me would've been when I tried to send it to someone. No iMessage = no deal, for me. I can't deal with the limitations of regular SMS/MMS texting and trying to get people to use 3rd party messaging apps.

This x100

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If or when apple decides to finally port over iMessage service to android is when I will switch to an android device. Nothing beats it. It might even take them porting over facetime as well. (which was supposed to be open source from the get go anyway)

Art H

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The reality is there are many really nice phones on the market these days, I think the iPhone is actually one of the uglier top tier phones out there. Android is really finding its way, though the difficulty curve is still too great to manage comfortably. Im really starting to fall out of liking with my Apple products as my enthusiasm has been waining after a series of lackluster launches & never ending quirks with everything. What Microsoft is doing now and in the not so distant future is exactly where the market focus is going. Since I am an AAPL stockholder it has been worrisome me for some time now that the direction the company is going is not where I envisioned it to go.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
The reality is there are many really nice phones on the market these days, I think the iPhone is actually one of the uglier top tier phones out there. Android is really finding its way, though the difficulty curve is still too great to manage comfortably. Im really starting to fall out of liking with my Apple products as my enthusiasm has been waining after a series of lackluster launches & never ending quirks with everything. What Microsoft is doing now and in the not so distant future is exactly where the market focus is going. Since I am an AAPL stockholder it has been worrisome me for some time now that the direction the company is going is not where I envisioned it to go.

I still think the iPhone is a sleek beauty, though I find the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ to be the best looking phone on the market right now.

Jerome86

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So true. Got my 6s plus finally and battery life is great. Came from Note 3 which had good battery too but no match for iPhone 6s Plus. Stand by life is awesome.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
The "Doze" feature on the new Android OS Marshmallow is a welcome addition, but still doesn't put it on par with the 6S+ for standby time. Have compared them every night for a week. The 6S+ always wakes in the morning with 100 percent battery while the 6P is usually between 95 to 92 percent. That's a great improvement from previous Android battery performance in standby, but again, doesn't match iOS.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Over the past month or so, I've debated getting a 6P. I was an Android user up until last year with the 6 (but I do Apple Mac/iOS support for a living). I ended up getting a 6S Plus this year, but because of some issues with my iPhone, it's pushed me to give the 6P a shot. I've ordered a 64GB Aluminum version of the 6P. If I end up picking it over the 6S Plus, it'll be $300 back on my CC. That's a win. I also use pretty much all Google Services. I've always been a fan of Apple hardware and Google services, and fortunately, the iPhone lets me have both. But I think I'd also do pretty well on an all Google setup (well, Google via Huawei). Looking forward to checking this thing out.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Over the past month or so, I've debated getting a 6P. I was an Android user up until last year with the 6 (but I do Apple Mac/iOS support for a living). I ended up getting a 6S Plus this year, but because of some issues with my iPhone, it's pushed me to give the 6P a shot. I've ordered a 64GB Aluminum version of the 6P. If I end up picking it over the 6S Plus, it'll be $300 back on my CC. That's a win. I also use pretty much all Google Services. I've always been a fan of Apple hardware and Google services, and fortunately, the iPhone lets me have both. But I think I'd also do pretty well on an all Google setup (well, Google via Huawei). Looking forward to checking this thing out.

You're going to love it! I've been using a 32GB 6p since Friday and it's the best Android phone to date. Marshmallow is awesome, standby time is way improved but the only drawbacks for me and it's mostly software related is the lack of fingerprint support in apps and I know Android pay just launched but there's no support in app for that either and I use Pay a lot in my starbucks app and at stores. There's also 9 of my apps that use TouchID to secure my apps. Perhaps next year I may switch to Android.

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
You're going to love it! I've been using a 32GB 6p since Friday and it's the best Android phone to date. Marshmallow is awesome, standby time is way improved but the only drawbacks for me and it's mostly software related is the lack of fingerprint support in apps and I know Android pay just launched but there's no support in app for that either and I use Pay a lot in my starbucks app and at stores. There's also 9 of my apps that use TouchID to secure my apps. Perhaps next year I may switch to Android.

I think I've got my iPhone squared away and it's acting properly, but curiosity is sort of not gong to leave me be until I get my hands on the 6P. At that point, I'll have both the 6P and 6S+ in front of me, and only then can I make a secure decision between them.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I've got my iPhone squared away and it's acting properly, but curiosity is sort of not gong to leave me be until I get my hands on the 6P. At that point, I'll have both the 6P and 6S+ in front of me, and only then can I make a secure decision between them.
I've got both in front of me and it's a tough decision. They're equal in build quality. The only things that honestly separate the two are: 1) ecosystem (obviously) - I'm more invested in Android so it appeals a little more to me; 2) screen - Nexus is better in my opinion; 3) battery life goes to the 6s Plus, but Nexus standby is great; 4) camera is better in lowlight on the Nexus, but video is much better on the 6s Plus - every other kind of picture seems neck and neck; and 5) I like that the Nexus is much cheaper off contract (128gb Nexus with Nexus Protect is less than a 16gb 6s Plus).

I know none of this really helps you, but these are my observations. Seems like Android finally has a legit iPhone competitor.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro