Is rose gold a gurly color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
My friends are insisting me to get a rose gold. They say that its a new color of its league and will have a much better resell value. Buy is rose gold a completely gurly color? How many guys own a rose gold?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This topic has been beat to death.

It's all a matter of personal perception. If you're a mature adult, it's not girly at all. I personally like it and will be switching to a RG iP6s+

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Oh jeez.. This question again x.x
Is Space Grey a completely manly color?

Colors are not gendered AND you use whichever you please =P

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I got a rose gold..... I absolutely don't care what color I got as long as it wasn't black. I wanted a white face this time. I keep cases on it and no one ever sees the color. It's not exactly what I wanted but it don't bother me it's what Best Buy had in stock when I got the wife her rose gold 6s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is to girly. Especially if you are an electrician . I think it looks like copper and I like it. Bought myself a space grey 6s but the wife has rose gold. I thought about buying rose gold for myself but I don't like the white face.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is to girly. Especially if you are an electrician . I think it looks like copper and I like it. Bought myself a space grey 6s but the wife has rose gold. I thought about buying rose gold for myself but I don't like the white face.

This. If they made them with black faces, perhaps. Why stop there? How about Ruby Red, Emerald Green, Sapphire Blue, Topaz, you get the idea. And then combined with either a black or white faceplate. And even offer colors in them as well. What a nightmare that would be finding what you wanted!

Henry Ford had it right from the beginning...

Make one color, two sizes.

The case industry would love it even more. Speaking of, they must abhor the fact that 99.9% of the iphone 6/6+ cases will fit the new phones. Specialty cases with rigid chassis/water resistance are the only exception in which they may work their unique physical characteristics cannot be absolutely guaranteed.

But next year, surely that will change.

dkeven

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I too use a case so the faceplate bezel color was my concern, didnt want white so space grey it is. rose gold looks pink to me btw

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I will say this much: Rose gold is brand new so it will probably have better resale value. As far as the color itself, it is more feminine than the other colors. That does not mean rose gold is a bad or inappropriate color for a guy. I own pink shirts, ties, and a pink pair of shorts, and I like them all.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it will affect resale value. I do like the color though, a lot. I went for the regular Gold this time around, but I would be more than happy if I had gotten Rose Gold

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh jeez.. This question again x.x
Is Space Grey a completely manly color?

Colors are not gendered AND you use whichever you please =P

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

While colors may not literally be gendered, companies like Nokia, HTC, Motorola and others definitely market specific colors to specific genders, because they have done studies and know that women do tend to like more vivid tones on these types of gadgets. IT's the same reason why you can go get Pink, Neon Blue and Neon Green (all together) running shoes for women, but the male versions will be significantly toned down by comparison. The colors will be a bit more neutral, and completely avoid some shades (like Pink) completely in most cases. Remember the HTC phone that was purple and marketed specifically to the female gender (think it was called the Rhyme or something)?

I have light Nike training jacket, [obviously] made for males, that has neon almost-pink stripes/highlights on it and I get comments from girls curious as to why I picked that color EVERY SINGLE TIME I wear it. Three days ago I wore that jacket during my warm-up and when I walked into the warm-room all the females started talking about it. One even compared it to the highlights on her ASIC running shoes (literally took it off and put it next to my jacket) to show the rest of them that "they're almost the same color." I almost took offense, but it's totally understandable. So it's not just a tech thing.

Whether we like it or not, gender has been associated - for probably hundreds of years - with specific colors. This is why you'd hardly find a man with a pink or purple phone, yet phones with those colors have been manufactured specifically for the female gender.

I don't find the Gold, Rose Gold, Champaign Gold or whatever cast to be literally a feminine color, but I do believe those colors are out there largely to appeal to the female demographic. I don't generally find them attractive either, since most of the phones that use it don't use it well - iPhones included. If the phone had a real Gold Color with Black Accents (where the antenna strips are) with a black front and gold trim around the home button... I'd probably get one, cause that would look tight.

The Gold Tones they use coupled with the white "rest" of the phone is what steers a lot of guys away from it. I certainly don't think many would want a Gold Tone with Reddish/Pinkish Hue. It just looks suspect to them.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it will affect resale value. I do like the color though, a lot. I went for the regular Gold this time around, but I would be more than happy if I had gotten Rose Gold

It will affect resale value. You're ruling out 85% of the potential male buyers (10% of the rest probably buying for a significant other, with 5% buying for themselves) and given the decrease in potential purchases, you're often going to need to lower the price to sell it. You also have to factor in, there are a lot of females that don't like the Gold either (like any other color for either gender).

I don't think people should be stereotyped or bullied for their choice of color on their phone. If they really like the color, more power to them. I'm just stating the obvious (re: Post #12).

We had a pretty heated discussion about the iPhone 5C when it was released. I remember some pretty atrocious things being insinuated about me due to my comments on the "feminine" (a term I now try to avoid using for that reason) color choices it was offered in (i.e. no choice of a Black, just White or Neon Tones).

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
While colors may not literally be gendered, companies like Nokia, HTC, Motorola and others definitely market specific colors to specific genders, because they have done studies and know that women do tend to like more vivid tones on these types of gadgets. IT's the same reason why you can go get Pink, Neon Blue and Neon Green (all together) running shoes for women, but the male versions will be significantly toned down by comparison. The colors will be a bit more neutral, and completely avoid some shades (like Pink) completely in most cases. Remember the HTC phone that was purple and marketed specifically to the female gender (think it was called the Rhyme or something)?

I have light Nike training jacket, [obviously] made for males, that has neon almost-pink stripes/highlights on it and I get comments from girls curious as to why I picked that color EVERY SINGLE TIME I wear it. Three days ago I wore that jacket during my warm-up and when I walked into the warm-room all the females started talking about it. One even compared it to the highlights on her ASIC running shoes (literally took it off and put it next to my jacket) to show the rest of them that "they're almost the same color." I almost took offense, but it's totally understandable. So it's not just a tech thing.

Whether we like it or not, gender has been associated - for probably hundreds of years - with specific colors. This is why you'd hardly find a man with a pink or purple phone, yet phones with those colors have been manufactured specifically for the female gender.

I don't find the Gold, Rose Gold, Champaign Gold or whatever cast to be literally a feminine color, but I do believe those colors are out there largely to appeal to the female demographic. I don't generally find them attractive either, since most of the phones that use it don't use it well - iPhones included. If the phone had a real Gold Color with Black Accents (where the antenna strips are) with a black front and gold trim around the home button... I'd probably get one, cause that would look tight.

The Gold Tones they use coupled with the white "rest" of the phone is what steers a lot of guys away from it. I certainly don't think many would want a Gold Tone with Reddish/Pinkish Hue. It just looks suspect to them.
Yeah they have clearly done that to mostly target female customer, though. A color is still just a color and everyone can like/rock it! But, there are personal peferences too. I am not a fan of black phones, not because they are too manly or blaxk is "male" color.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't like the rose gold, too pink for my liking however that's my personal preference. I don't think it has anything to do with gender for me, I just personally like pink. I think all of the iPhone colors are gender neutral. I just wish they offered the black face on more options, don't like the white face.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It will affect resale value. You're ruling out 85% of the potential male buyers (10% of the rest probably buying for a significant other, with 5% buying for themselves) and given the decrease in potential purchases, you're often going to need to lower the price to sell it. You also have to factor in, there are a lot of females that don't like the Gold either (like any other color for either gender).

I don't think people should be stereotyped or bullied for their choice of color on their phone. If they really like the color, more power to them. I'm just stating the obvious (re: Post #12).

We had a pretty heated discussion about the iPhone 5C when it was released. I remember some pretty atrocious things being insinuated about me due to my comments on the "feminine" (a term I now try to avoid using for that reason) color choices it was offered in (i.e. no choice of a Black, just White or Neon Tones).

I disagree. There's been a huge demand for the rose gold iPhones. Less potential buyers does not necessarily equal lesser price.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna be honest, I think it's quite girly. I've seen it in person and to me it's a metallic pink, definitely NOT rose gold. But hey, if you like it, go for it!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm a girl, but not even close to a girly girl. The rose gold 6s is the first "pink" thing I've ever chosen to purchase on purpose. I usually prefer more neutral colors. I think it's fantastic and totally out of the norm for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73