Issue with AT&T Wifi Calling

johaleesi

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I work in an office with no windows in the middle of a building where we get no reception whatsoever. I literally depend on Wifi for iMessage or for Whatsapp, but then there's those times when I miss an important phone call or a text from my son's baseball coach who are not iPhone users. I thought my issues were finally over now that AT&T had enabled Wifi Calling.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. I went through the activation process, but all I see on my phone is the dreaded "No Service" right before the wifi signal. I tried going into airplane mode then enabling wifi only, restarting the phone, soft resetting the phone, disabling/enabling wifi calling again. You name it. No dice. From what I've read, whenever my signal is low of non-existent, I'm supposed to see the words "AT&T Wifi" where "No Service" currently resides.

I checked with the network folks at my job and they claim they are not blocking it. My boss is on Sprint and she is able to use wifi calling without issues on her Samsung. I guess I'm here to see if anyone else is experiencing an issue like mine or if anyone has any other suggestions to troubleshoot this.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried on another wifi network besides work (like home?) just to ensure it isn't your work? They may be blocking it without intentionally blocking it (if that makes sense).

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue with Tmo Wi-Fi calling at my work (a school district). These types of Enterprise environments are heavily filtered, shaped and throttled so it does not surprise me when things like this get blocked. And believe me depending on your IT department and their level of expertise they may have hardware installed at the server level that is filtering services like this and not even understand what and how to configure it....

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Posts above are correct. The only way to test it is to try from other places besides your work. If it works on other places, then your network at your place is the issue. Asking those network people inside your work will just give you a short general answer unless they do actually monitor that network traffic coming from your phone.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issues with my work, turns out that "security" doesn't play nice with the whole wifi calling thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Have Verizon 6S+ here with AT&T sim. Can turn it on but get message that I need to call carrier to get service activated. Not too worried as I have a microcell.

johaleesi

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Well you guys were right. I got home last night, put my phone on airplane mode, then turned on wifi. Lo and behold the "AT&T Wifi" banner showed up and I was able to make a call. Looks like I'll have to battle it out with the network guys on Monday.

Liqueseous

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Have Verizon 6S+ here with AT&T sim. Can turn it on but get message that I need to call carrier to get service activated. Not too worried as I have a microcell.

Verizon does not support wifi calling at this time. That is why it isn't working for you.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well you guys were right. I got home last night, put my phone on airplane mode, then turned on wifi. Lo and behold the "AT&T Wifi" banner showed up and I was able to make a call. Looks like I'll have to battle it out with the network guys on Monday.

Glad you found it out :). I figured your work IT wasn't intentionally blocking it -- They usually just don't open ports that aren't needed.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Verizon does not support wifi calling at this time. That is why it isn't working for you.

Well perhaps you missed the part where I said I have an AT&T sim in the phone. I'm well aware that VZW is not (currently) supporting this feature. AT&T does. Cellular radio band(s) aren't the issue whether it works with a supported carrier or not. If the carrier doesn't recognize your device's IMEI they may not permit (wifi calling) initially. Hence the message. My AT&T account is a business account and (luckily) I have access to add devices. I will call them to switch IMEIs since currently they have a 5S on file for this number.

And yes if (as others have reported) are having issues at work, their wifi may be locked down not allowing ports/services required for wifi calling.

EDIT: Just providing an update right now...

Enabled wifi calling on my device. Went through the introduction screen, had to verify my address where I use the device and said it would be available for use in a few minutes. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2