"Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

Aquila

iMore Sith
Trusted Member
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I use mine non stop, and I'm getting great battery life with a Samsung chip.
Makes sense. If there is only a 2-3% difference then you should be getting great battery life +/- 2-3%.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I will say that I've noticed that my 6s with TSMC chip is cooler than the one I returned with the Samsung chip. I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life under normal use but it is cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I will say that I've noticed that my 6s with TSMC chip is cooler than the one I returned with the Samsung chip. I haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life under normal use but it is cooler.

It means that your chip is running more efficient = longer battery life.

dems86

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the Samsung chip. This is the first iPhone I've ever had coming from 5 years on Android. One thing I love is that this phone doesn't heat up while I'm using it. The only exception is using GPS for navigation, and even then it doesn't get nearly as warm as my Android phones. I get outstanding battery life. I can barely run it down past 40% even on days where I charged it the night before. No complaints here.

I'm a few years on Android too after being an original iPhone user up through the 4.

I'm really surprised how easy the switch has been, really loving the 6S Plus. Battery life is mind blowing coming from a Nexus 6 and Note 5. So many things I'm finding I really like in this first week (damn I love TweetBot)...thought the switch might be harder, but I can't complain..

128GB with a TSMC btw

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

You probably didn't use your phone a lot.

Nah.....I'm on my phone CONSTANTLY. and I'm consistently getting over 24 hrs on a full charge with around 9-14 hrs use. Samsung chip.

The variance in my case has to do with signal strength. When I've got good signal or WiFi I'm in the 14 hr range. When I'm out and about in the back of beyond it's in the 9 hr range.

Oh and I've got the Samsung chip.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: "Chipgate" which chip is in your phone? Samsung or TSMC?

Nah.....I'm on my phone CONSTANTLY. and I'm consistently getting over 24 hrs on a full charge with around 9-14 hrs use. Samsung chip.

The variance in my case has to do with signal strength. When I've got good signal or WiFi I'm in the 14 hr range. When I'm out and about in the back of beyond it's in the 9 hr range.

Oh and I've got the Samsung chip.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

I was just teasing the guy. Actually, according to the reviewers who tested both phones, you can't really tell the difference between the two if both phones are not being used under heavy processor load. Meaning, playing intensive graphical games for a long period of time or benchmarking it which in real world, most people doesn't do. The difference is about 16 to 20% on the battery and on the temp is about 5 degrees cooler than Samsung. On a normal usage, only about 2-3% difference. So, in reality, you can't really tell difference.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I was just teasing the guy. Actually, according to the reviewers who tested both phones, you can't really tell the difference between the two if both phones are not being used under heavy processor load. Meaning, playing intensive graphical games for a long period of time or benchmarking it which in real world, most people doesn't do. The difference is about 16 to 20% on the battery and on the temp is about 5 degrees cooler than Samsung. On a normal usage, only about 2-3% difference. So, in reality, you can't really tell difference.

Oh no it's OK. That is really my point. I'm getting amazing battery life with the "bad" chip.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

6S Plus with TSMC... battery life is OK (I play too much SimCity to get decent batter life lol). This is the A1687 model running on AT&T. I may end up switching it for an A1634.... my borderline OCD'ness won't let me not have have band 30 lol. So it's a gamble as I may end up with a Sammy chip in that one. But it shouldn't be a problem.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Forced? Hmm. There little to no difference in the chip other then size and process. Battery life is the exact same on my phone now and as my 6 plus. Tomorrow will be the real test but I've been on it for 2?hours and at 80% battery. That's about correct. And that without calibrating the screen to my brightness levels I like. Phones fast and I don't play games, that's what my pc is for.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I always find the "gate" stories comical at best, regardless of which OEM or OS they are about. They are simply clickbait and nothing more, well except AntennaGate, that was an actual issue and really just a design flaw that wasn't accounted for.

Still who cares who made your processor, battery, or screen. Apple sources so many ten's of millions of components per supplier and they have several things in common. Apple Quality Control, which dictates design, specs, minimum tolerance which is acceptable in any mass produced manufacturing process after all none two mass produced items is 100% identical.

With each new phone comes a new story about how its slightest imperfection are now tantamount to corporate sloppiness, greed, and overall a big, well you know to the consumer.

I have had well over 150 mobile devices (cellphones, tablets and smartphones) spanning 20 years from the motorola bag phone to my iphone 6S Plus and ASUS ZenFone 2. Nothing is perfect all have their pluses and minuses and each offers something different. Yet not one has left me stranded, in fear for my life or in such peril that without a 100% perfect device I would be at risk.

Perhaps if "journalists" were still Journalists intent on a story that told the whole story and wasn't about managed content meant to scare, drive clicks, slight a company things would be different today.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

True. But there's the nag there that I might have problems. Unlikely.

Don't let it get to you too much. I doubt it will make a big difference in real world scenarios. But I get why it nags you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR