Why is there a 16 GB iPhone Plus? Seriously...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please tell me other than greed why Apple doesn't start at 32gb especially in light of 4K video? And please don't tell me how there are people who don't use it for anything other than making phones calls, texting, and surfing (a weak justification IMO). They can step it up regarding the introductory model, right?

Please take a moment to read the iMore Blog article written by Rene Ritchie. Hopefully, it'll provide some insight with regard to the thread question. You can use the following link.

http://www.imore.com/segmenting-based-storage-or-why-32gb-costs-100

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Because then you have to deal with the people who have problems with their SD card and think it is the device manufacturer's fault when the problem really lies in the cheap poor quality SD card they bought. More headache than it's worth to the device manufacturers, IMO.

This is the best response i've ever seen regarding SD Cards.

Aaron Starr

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
i think it's just because of options and money. But i also think Apple loses money because once someone max out their 16gb they gonna return it for a 64gb or higher. and most reps always recommend going with 64gb and more.

16GB is so useless in my eyes.

veritas_vincit

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
So a cheap person can waste their investment?

This was my post, 5 posts before yours:

"Users that tend to use the device heavily for media would require a bigger version, but others like me can live with the 16Gb just fine as I tend to keep the data in the cloud. I don't rely heavily in my iPhone for pictures or videos, as I use those features sporadically, but I do use it a lot for data management in the cloud. So, the 16 Gb version works great for me. In my case the value of my iPhone is based on its encryption (security), iOS Security updates and iOS version managements via OTA or iTunes and, of course, Great quality device."

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
As it's been said countless times in this thread. Some people don't need all the extra memory. My mother bought a 16GB iPhone 6. She doesn't keep music, movies or tv shows on her phone. She used it for texting, calling, browsing the web & Facebook. Corporations use them for employees because it's cheaper than getting the 64 GB variant. I don't see why all the fuss about what the hell other people choose to spend THEIR money on.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus  using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As it's been said countless times in this thread. Some people don't need all the extra memory. My mother bought a 16GB iPhone 6. She doesn't keep music, movies or tv shows on her phone. She used it for texting, calling, browsing the web & Facebook. Corporations use them for employees because it's cheaper than getting the 64 GB variant. I don't see why all the fuss about what the hell other people choose to spend THEIR money on.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus  using Tapatalk

Because how dare you use logic to look at this situation, that's why!

And be careful, apparently pointing this obvious fact out is considered being overly "defensive" by some, lol!

eshy

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The reason they have the 16GB version is because they want you to buy the 64GB version but they still want to be able to say "Starting at..." with a lower price. With the Plus, which already starts at $100 more, it makes even less sense to sell the 16GB model, but if it was 32GB a lot of people would buy that instead of the 64.

It's not only Apple that does that. The OnePlus2 also starts with 16GB (although it was never in stock, I guess they never even made those phones and it really was just so the advertised price can be lower)

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This is an easy question to answer. It's called business.

You offer the 16GB in a world where more and more people prefer higher storage capacities and introduce technologies like 4K video, which can quickly chew up storage and you've set customers up wonderfully.

This forces a lot of people to just burn the extra $100 for the 64GB (myself included) because we all know if they offered 32GB 99% of people would be content.

Gtech21

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
OK. So we have a thread asking why people would buy a 128GB phone and we now have a thread asking why Apple would sell 16GB phones.
Two opposing viewpoints with one very simple answer:

Customers exist for both configurations.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

Ditto..who has the time to debate these things. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
About teh monies. If the other phone manufacturers can do it while offering phones at lower prices than Apple, Apple could as well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
About teh monies. If the other phone manufacturers can do it while offering phones at lower prices than Apple, Apple could as well.

The other manufacturers aren't selling their devices in anywhere near the same frequency or capacity that Apple is...could Apple make the device cheaper at the 16GB level? Sure...could Apple still make a profit (albeit a smaller one) by making the entry level version 32GB's? Sure they could! But why would they? They decimate the market with sales numbers each and every year, including the sales of the 16GB model. Why would Apple take a record setting product which yields incredible amounts of profit for them while also holding such high satisfaction ratings with the end user...and make it less profitable for themselves?

I understand that as a consumer we will always want the most for our money, but you have to also use some common sense and logic when thinking about this stuff. If you don't like the pricing point Apple presents, buy another product...if you don't think a certain variant is a value to the consumer, don't purchase it...eventually if the consumer base follows your same ideas, changes will be made, but right now, as it sits, the 16GB model is still a legitimate option to a lot of people, and it still makes a lot of money for Apple, therefore it aint going anywhere for at least another year.

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
It's not for me but there are people who get the iPhone and use it just as a phone. I've had plenty of older people (in their 70's and 80's) tell me that. The phone is simple and it works well for them. No random crashes, not hard to find the PHONE, and it's supported by Apple.

I agree, but when my mom, who is 67, initially got her iPhone, her intent was to only use it for calls. As she learned how to use more features, she started using it more and got to the point of filling it up rather quickly.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree, but when my mom, who is 67, initially got her iPhone, her intent was to only use it for calls. As she learned how to use more features, she started using it more and got to the point of filling it up rather quickly.

She might fill up a 64 gb model quickly as well! Lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4