Most Wanted Missing Feature

Omega V

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I would love a "close all apps at once" ability the way they have it on Android OS. I can't stand having to swipe away every single open app. I know you can use 3 fingers to swipe apps away faster but it's just so time consuming and unnecessary. It should only be one button, I only do once in the morning before I turn my phone off and on for a fresh start.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I would love a "close all apps at once" ability the way they have it on Android OS. I can't stand having to swipe away every single open app. I know you can use 3 fingers to swipe apps away faster but it's just so time consuming and unnecessary. It should only be one button, I only do once in the morning before I turn my phone off and on for a fresh start.

Why swipe them all to begin with? I haven't swiped all apps in over 2 years. If they misbehave I do. But most don't. They aren't even running most of the time. I have Maybe 4 apps I have to keep swiped out or they run in the background too much. But methodically swipe them all out? No. No reason to do that.

Omega V

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Why swipe them all to begin with? I haven't swiped all apps in over 2 years. If they misbehave I do. But most don't. They aren't even running most of the time. I have Maybe 4 apps I have to keep swiped out or they run in the background too much. But methodically swipe them all out? No. No reason to do that.

I only do this once a day (in the morning for me) and then I restart the phone so I don't experience any slow down or issues through out the day. When I don't force close my apps I notice after a few days my iPhone lags and it starts to freeze randomly (every single iPhone/iPad I've owned). Once I close all the apps and restart the phone everything goes back to normal.

Also I worked at Apple about 2 years ago and this was one of the ways we solved issues with a lot of customers iPhones when they had freezing/lag issues besides doing a restore which wasn't needed 95% of the time. We would take the customer's phone in the back, clear all the apps, restart the phone and bring it back out. Problem solved and the customer thinks we did something special or difficult and we didn't. You may not have issues but a lot of people do on a daily basis.

One thing I learned at Apple...not everyone is a techie/informed user and if they can do something simple to keep their device working with the least amount of issues why not do it.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I only do this once a day (in the morning for me) and then I restart the phone so I don't experience any slow down or issues through out the day. When I don't force close my apps I notice after a few days my iPhone lags and it starts to freeze randomly (every single iPhone/iPad I've owned). Once I close all the apps and restart the phone everything goes back to normal.

Also I worked at Apple about 2 years ago and this was one of the ways we solved issues with a lot of customers iPhones when they had freezing/lag issues besides doing a restore which wasn't needed 95% of the time. We would take the customer's phone in the back, clear all the apps, restart the phone and bring it back out. Problem solved and the customer thinks we did something special or difficult and we didn't. You may not have issues but a lot of people do on a daily basis.

One thing I learned at Apple...not everyone is a techie/informed user and if they can do something simple to keep their device working with the least amount of issues why not do it.

You need to determine which apps do that. Most apps that sit in multitasking are not doing anything. They just sit there. But there's usually a few, maybe 2 or 3 that run in the background too much even with background App Refresh off. My big 3 are Facebook, TapaTalk and Mail.

Omega V

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
You need to determine which apps do that. Most apps that sit in multitasking are not doing anything. They just sit there. But there's usually a few, maybe 2 or 3 that run in the background too much even with background App Refresh off. My big 3 are Facebook, TapaTalk and Mail.

Yes Facebook is a huge one for me also and yes you are correct, its better to find the app(s) causing the issue! I don't have many apps that cause me trouble but I tend to download new apps daily and its just too much work to try and figure out which one is causing problems and then having to remember to force close it whenever I'm done with it, especially when it's multiple apps.

Since it normally takes about 2 - 3 days before I start seeing issues my once daily closing of all the apps is better for me and for most people that don't want to fuss around with their phone. I know it's not difficult but after working as a sales rep at AT&T for over 7 years and at Apple for less than 1 I noticed around 80% of customers (educated guess) didn't like to do ANY troubleshooting with their device.

I like these forums because most people are informed or willing to learn but the average consumer....not so much. That's why I would tell them to close all the apps once a day and do a restart, it takes all of 30 seconds and you're good to go. This is my method and I never have issues with any of my Apple devices or even my Android OS work phone. My mother, twin sister, girlfriend and most of my friends do this method with the same result, no problems and one less thing to worry about overall.

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
2. Option to turn off landscape mode on the springboard, and even better by an app by app basis

(And I'll add that I know there is the screen lock option in the control panel but that is system wide and I have to turn it off whenever I watch a video...)

I second this. I find landscape home screen on the Plus is pretty useless when the majority of apps are portrait only. It usually just got in the way where I'd have to wait for it to re-orient to portrait before I start using it. I use zoomed screen mode to eliminate the landscape, and frankly, I like the zoomed look better anyway, and it also eliminates the crazy overly busy landscape keyboard.

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I want to see the keyboard dynamically change based on the field you put the cursor in. For example, password fields give you the extra line of numbers and some common symbols pop up at the bottom. BlackBerry was fantastic at this. Also recognise Web address fields or user name fields to give use case specific key (like a ".com" button or auto fills for configed email addresses).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2