Switching from Android?

tvouge

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Just switched from a Moto Droid Turbo to the 6s Plus. For a couple of reasons, most prominently Android's fragmentation when it comes to security updates. Stage fright has frightened me. After using the iPhone for the weekend, I figured I'd share a couple of my initial thoughts on not only the new iPhone, but iOS (Having never used it in the past).

The hardware is surprisingly... Solid?
Coming from Moto (which makes solid phones) the lack of Jank or slight stuttering in the OS and individual apps is refreshing. But even physically, the iPhone 6s Plus feels solid in hand. I think if I was attacked my 6s Plus would make a capable blunt weapon. Not a strict selling point perhaps, but one should not disregard this as a positive. The screen is beautiful as well. The size of the Plus is borderline too big for me. I knew this before I got the phone, and the significant increase in battery size was the tipping point, but if you're coming from a regular sized phone, this thing is going to take a bit of getting used to. I'm willing to suffer a bit of comfort for use time, but If I worked near a power outlet I think I'd prefer the 6s. Touch ID--- not only is it fast, it's amazingly well baked into The OS. Big thumbs up there. Camera is fantastic, and while the Live Photos may end up being a gimmick, they are very cool taking photos of moving things, like cars or dogs.

Now, as a complete newbie, some things about iOS. I never realized how much free software is available on android between google play and Amazon app stores until I switched. The Apple App Store DOES have an app for that, and it's going to cost you at least .99 cents. Again, not the end of the world, but something to consider. Other than that there's some adjusting to how iOS does things. If you've never used an iPhone, you're home screen is essentially your app drawer. As far as I've found, customization is limited to organizing apps and folders. If you live and breath by making a device your own via widgets and themes, you may have a rough time.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. So far, no real regrets in jumping ship. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I do miss some of the freedom Android offers as a platform. That being said, security and functionality are simply more important to me at this point in my life than the ability to tinker.

Please feel free to comment with your thoughts if you're also a turncoat...

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. This is only my second iphone. My first iphone, I purchased in March of this year. I tend to agree with statement. At this point in my life, I would rather have a phone that just works out of the box without all of the tinkering, battery that lasts all day, security, etc. I am perfectly happy with my iphone at this point.

If I did have one gripe, it would be you don't have the ability to access the file system.

AndroidJay

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I am also going to try out the iPhone 6S Plus. I am coming from the Samsung Galaxy Note 5.. I told myself I would try the iPhone once the camera was upgraded. Should arrive this week from T-Mobile. I also have a iPad Air 2.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm not a turncoat because I've had lots of Apple devices, but I did think it was interesting that you said most apps that you searched for cost at least 99?. I often think there are too many free apps (usually lesser quality, almost always ad supported) when I'd rather have a paid app with no ads.

That's definitely the direction in which the market is headed, but he's right; the vast majority of my apps that I replaced from my 6 Plus to my Note 5 were paid on iOS (most with some ads), and nearly all of them were free on Android. Some of the Android variants have ads, but most don't. However, when they do have ads, they tend to look as if they were designed by someone in diapers, and not adult diapers. All in all, Android apps are mostly free and with fewer ads, but the tradeoff is quality, where the iPhone still wins in nearly every instance.

Reggie T

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm still an Android fan and this is my first iPhone. I like it. There are things I miss from Android and that's why I'm keeping my Note 4 for the time being
Looking forward to the Google event tomorrow. I'd like to replace my Note 4 with the new Huawei Nexus and keep the iPhone so I can enjoy both platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Rokkos

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Posted a similar experience on thoughts from switching over from Android as well. Completely agree that losing Widgets is a big deal. I have been trying to find a way to get Widgets in notifications on ios to work but it just doesn't seem to get close to real time info on an Android screen.

As I posted previously in response to a user switching from an HTC to iOs.

Really interesting post.

I am in a similar boat. Had a few iphones up until the 5 when I got tempted to switch to Android for a bigger screen. Been through a few devices and currently have an LG G3, but about to switch back to the 6s Plus. My family are all on iPhones so I'm in touch with the experience on both sides of ios and Android.

Bottom line on switching back for me:

I will miss most the customizable widgets and information that appears on an Android screen. I know I can do some interesting stuff on iOs and look forward to getting to know how to use notification widgets. But there is something materially better when on Android I can have news, weather, etc. convey real information right on the screen at a glance. You will always have to dig into ios to get anything.

BUT - as OP pointed out, you just can't beat battery life on an iPhone compared to Android. I have struggled through mutliple devices and at the end its always compromizing. I don't understand having a phone that can't make it through a fairly typical day without charging. I get having multiple charges available at work, commuting, etc. But there are some days when that is just not possible. What is the point of having a phone with features if you end up having to turn off GPS, screen brightness, syncing, etc. just to eak out the day. And then sweating at night hoping the 22% you have when you go to dinner will last to get you home.

I actually just picked up a Moto X pure in the hope that one last new Android will do the trick. Great phone. Great price. By mid day of normal usage, I'm at 44%.

I'm really hoping the 6S Plus will be able to simply make it through the day with something left. I always charge at night.

You can debate plenty of merits that both systems have but for me, biggest drawback is the quick view of the BBC news for example right on my front page that I'll lose on the 6S Plus. But it will be nice to not worry about the battery and I guess I'll have to press a button to get the info.

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well I did it again. Sold my iPhone 6 just over a month ago and was tempted once again to try Android. Sold my iPhone for a good amount and then bought a Note 5. Note 5 was great. Honestly a very nice phone and Touchwiz was a lot better then before.

Have too many things at home Apple. Even my wife was mad that I didn't have an iPhone anymore. Was starting to miss iMessage again with the high quality pics and HD videos sent through it also. She wants to subscribe to Apple Music also soon when the trial is done. Didn't want to pay for both Google Music as well. Since everything is Apple it just has to be so I sold my Note 5 yesterday and was able to pick up a 6S Plus 64GB Space Gray. So far pretty happy. Do miss the Note 5 a bit but this just feels right ;)

law2010

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Just switched from a Moto Droid Turbo to the 6s Plus. For a couple of reasons, most prominently Android's fragmentation when it comes to security updates. Stage fright has frightened me. After using the iPhone for the weekend, I figured I'd share a couple of my initial thoughts on not only the new iPhone, but iOS (Having never used it in the past).

Coming from Moto (which makes solid phones) the lack of Jank or slight stuttering in the OS and individual apps is refreshing. But even physically, the iPhone 6s Plus feels solid in hand. I think if I was attacked my 6s Plus would make a capable blunt weapon. Not a strict selling point perhaps, but one should not disregard this as a positive. The screen is beautiful as well. The size of the Plus is borderline too big for me. I knew this before I got the phone, and the significant increase in battery size was the tipping point, but if you're coming from a regular sized phone, this thing is going to take a bit of getting used to. I'm willing to suffer a bit of comfort for use time, but If I worked near a power outlet I think I'd prefer the 6s. Touch ID--- not only is it fast, it's amazingly well baked into The OS. Big thumbs up there. Camera is fantastic, and while the Live Photos may end up being a gimmick, they are very cool taking photos of moving things, like cars or dogs.

Now, as a complete newbie, some things about iOS. I never realized how much free software is available on android between google play and Amazon app stores until I switched. The Apple App Store DOES have an app for that, and it's going to cost you at least .99 cents. Again, not the end of the world, but something to consider. Other than that there's some adjusting to how iOS does things. If you've never used an iPhone, you're home screen is essentially your app drawer. As far as I've found, customization is limited to organizing apps and folders. If you live and breath by making a device your own via widgets and themes, you may have a rough time.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. So far, no real regrets in jumping ship. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I do miss some of the freedom Android offers as a platform. That being said, security and functionality are simply more important to me at this point in my life than the ability to tinker.

What do you think of your battery life so far? I switched from an HTC One M8 after years away from iOS and the battery life is much better on the iPhone 6S Plus. My phone doesn't seem to drain much power when I am not using it and it is sitting on my desk at work. My HTC would drain at a fairly rapid rate even after a factory reset.

bwwhite

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Background: My carrier is T-Mobile. Been with them for 12 years. Very happy. I'm also somewhat of a tech geek. Over 60. Professional statistician.

I've been an Android user for about 6 years. Started with the Samsung Vibrant. Moved to the Note 2 when it first came out (4 years ago?). Only had the Note 2 for a little while when I knew I'd never be able to go back to a small phone again. I told myself that if Apple ever made a big iPhone, I'd get one.

When the iPhone 6 came out, I was not yet ready to make the switch. But with the 6s, I was ready. Just got the gold 64GB phone on Friday. Added a clear Maxboost case and some Tech Armor ballistic glass to the screen. I am really liking this phone. I've been an iPad user since that device first came out. Upgraded to the Air two years ago.

What I miss from Android:
1) Swiping!!! I hate to type and I just loved that feature on the Note. I'm testing some swiping apps on the 6s and will be posting my thoughts so far in another thread. However, I think I'll be using Siri a lot for texting. I know something similar was available on my Note 2, but I just never got the habit of using it. For some reason, I think I will get into the habit of using Siri for texting. Don't know why.
2) Widgets. This is not a real biggie for me, but I did like widgets.
3) Poweramp Music Player. I love this app on the Note 2. I'm hoping to find something equivalent on the iPhone

What I don't miss from my Note 2 and Android:
1) Delayed release of new operating system. This was always a major pain.
2) Customization. I know for many this is a strength and I actually did a lot of it on my Note 2, but sometimes I felt there was so much that could be tweaked that I sometimes felt overwhelmed.
3) #2 being said, once I made the decision that I was going to get the iPhone 6s Plus, I decided to root my Note 2 and play with some custom ROMs. I played a bit with Dirty Unicorns Lollipop ROM and ended with Resurrection Remix Lollipop ROM. I liked the latter better
4) The stylus. I think I used the stylus about 3 times in 4 years and even then it was just to play with. Never really found a practical use for it.

Thanks for reading this!

Bruce

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Long time Android use, very likely switching to a 64 or possibly 128GB 6s Plus as soon as they are back in stock for reserving at a store. I've been on Android since the "OG Droid" in late 2009 with a brief run on a Lumia 1020 for about a year. I went back to Android with a 64GB 2014 Moto X Pure that I ordered with the leather back last February and while I like it, that whole stagefright thing and Moto taking almost 2 months to push it to their Pure edition really has me re-thinking the Android fragmentation that didn't bother me as much before.

Also I'm really being swayed by the app quality and the polish on the apps and OS vs. Android at this point. It probably helps that most of the features I like on Android in the OS itself are now in iOS as well. I never really used widgets much other than a weather widget to see the current temp & forecast.

Probably the biggest thing I'll miss after having the Moto X for 7 months now is Qualcomm's quickcharge tech. I even recently bought a quick charger for my car because it was dirt cheap on sale on Amazon. That's of course followed up by not being able to customize home screen(s) as much. Yeah I can put stuff in folders to hide some of it and place on various screens, but not being able to move individual icons where I want them (create some whitespace in the middle for example) might be a bit frustrating at first. I think the security and the polish on everything will probably outweigh the few cons I still have.

AndroidJay

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I am switching from a Samsung Note 5 to the new iPhone 6S Plus. My new phone was just shipped by T-Mobile. I enjoy the iPad Air 2. Going to be interesting for sure.

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I am switching from a Samsung Note 5 to the new iPhone 6S Plus. My new phone was just shipped by T-Mobile. I enjoy the iPad Air 2. Going to be interesting for sure.

I think you will like it. I switched from the Note 5. I've always liked iPhones myself. Enjoying the 6S Plus right now for sure.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am also going to try out the iPhone 6S Plus. I am coming from the Samsung Galaxy Note 5.. I told myself I would try the iPhone once the camera was upgraded. Should arrive this week from T-Mobile. I also have a iPad Air 2.

So you are using a Galaxy Note 5, but switching to an iPhone? What don't you like about the Note 5 if you don't mind me asking? I'm an iPhone user who looks at the Note line every year so I'm just curious.

1901Madison1

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 plus and a Droid Turbo. Both are excellent phones, but ultimately I settled on the Turbo as my daily driver. My reasons are the incredible battery life on the Turbo and the slightly smaller form factor make it easier to hold,while still packing a 5.2 inch screen. Again, love the iPhone too, but to me the Turbo is one of the most solid phones I've ever used.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

I'm glad you've finally seen the light! :)

AndroidJay

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
So you are using a Galaxy Note 5, but switching to an iPhone? What don't you like about the Note 5 if you don't mind me asking? I'm an iPhone user who looks at the Note line every year so I'm just curious.

Over all it is a good phone. What finally made me decide to switch was Apple Pay vs Android and Samsung Pay. I recently started to use Android Pay but I took a look at the receipts. They were using the same virtual card for different stores. I like that Apple Pay uses separate tokens at each merchant.

I another reason was the issue with the S-Pen. It is way to easy to slide it in backwards. I also wanted to see if what Apple has for quality.

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I was solid iPhone up to the 5. I needed a bigger screen so I foolishly traded to android. I had the HTC one m8, LGG3 and about 3 months with the LGG4. I was never satisfied. The launch of the 6s plus did me in. I'm now sporting a 128gb silver 6s plus and my life is full.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro