Switching from Android?

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
This could be based on the human nature to see technological devices as entertainment instead of assistive devices to facilitate and prioritize your life's tasks, which is how I use my iPhone, as an assistive device, because it keeps my life organized, not entertained.
I look at my device as a source of entertainment too as well as productivity. But I don't understand how the device itself is boring.

Jde2466

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I switched from Android to the 6S+ and so far so good. I like the device a lot. The only thing I don't like is Siri. It just does not compare to Google Now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkeven

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
This borders on ridiculous, the apps on apple run better? I say BS, also when will apple get a good location aware profile changer like llama that is excellant on android and non-existent in ios, I went to the 6s plus to view the other side, It works well enough for my use, better than Android not really, After having thousands of free apps to peruse over there the choices here are limited. Not trying to ruffle feathers but fanboys of either platform are hardly unbiased. Maybe I have to buy all my apps for them to be good, I bought little at Android. Will start a thread looking at best of the paid

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This borders on ridiculous, the apps on apple run better? I say BS,
That is "your" experience of which some will agree and some will disagree.
also when will apple get a good location aware profile changer like llama that is excellant on android and non-existent in ios,
I don't know, but you are more than welcomed to offer feedback directly to Apple. The link is posted below for your convenience.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

I went to the 6s plus to view the other side, It works well enough for my use, better than Android not really,
The iPhone fits the needs of people differently. For some people, the iPhone simply doesn't fit their needs, and that's okay.
After having thousands of free apps to peruse over there the choices here are limited. Not trying to ruffle feathers but fanboys of either platform are hardly unbiased. Maybe I have to buy all my apps for them to be good, I bought little at Android. Will start a thread looking at best of the paid
That decision lies with the developers. There was a survey a while back that concluded that iPhone users tend to buy more apps than users of other platforms. Whether that's true or not, I do not know, however, it could be a reason why there are more paid apps for iOS as you've insinuated.

Last edited:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
This borders on ridiculous, the apps on apple run better? I say BS, also when will apple get a good location aware profile changer like llama that is excellant on android and non-existent in ios, I went to the 6s plus to view the other side, It works well enough for my use, better than Android not really, After having thousands of free apps to peruse over there the choices here are limited. Not trying to ruffle feathers but fanboys of either platform are hardly unbiased. Maybe I have to buy all my apps for them to be good, I bought little at Android. Will start a thread looking at best of the paid

I would disagree I've used Android between 2010-2012 and I most recently tried the Nexus 6 for two weeks and I still find that the apps on iOS are more polished than the Android counterparts. Now that may change as more developers adopt Material design but from my time with Android I noticed that the developers seem lazier in implementing changes and that the more abundance of free apps doesn't necessarily mean they're better I found it was the opposite.

Pecked out on my 6S Plus keyboard.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Actually, we can go even further and say, based on Android users experiences as well, that Google's apps are curated in the iPhone to run better than it should in their own Android ecosystem. It makes sense due to how integrated and controlled iOS ecosystem is -vs.- the Android ecosystem which is not centralized, but controlled by the device's manufacturer and the phone carrier.

I totally agree that Google's iOS apps are awesome. But better than their Android counterparts? No, I wouldn't say that at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree that Google's iOS apps are awesome. But better than their Android counterparts? No, I wouldn't say that at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What makes the Android version of Google apps better is the integration and background processing.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I've been Android since 2010 and I love the platform. I've also been enjoying my first iPhone for a week. I ordered the Nexus 6P this morning with the full intent of returning the 6S+ by the time my remorse period is up. I think I'm just going to go ahead and put my Note 4 up for sale this weekend and final enjoy both platforms. The Nexus should use a nano sim so going back and forth should be easier.

I think I may do this with a Note 5 and iPhone 6s Plus. I really can't decide between the two. Maybe it's just time to stop fighting it.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a turn coat, I'm multi platform, but iOS IS my daily driver and my preferred platform. Your last paragraph hits on something.

I passed on the Note 5 and the SGS6. I'm not getting the BlackBerry Privy. Or getting the next Windows phone. The iPhone, out of the box, W O R K S. I no longer feel excited about tinkering. And I don't want to spend my weekend searching for leaked OSs to make my device work properly. I'd rather be with the people I love or spend time training and having fun with my dogs or going to the river.

So...... I love the dependability of the iPhone.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

You sound just like me 3 years ago, stick with it. Life is so much better not chasing tweaks and custom UI's, ROMS.

jlgraham

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

Actually, I would say that Google's apps run better on iOS than Android. I've been using Android since the OG Motorola Droid in ~2009, and I just switched to my first iPhone (6s Plus). Of course, being a long time Android user, I use Google's services extensively. One of the first things I noticed is how much smoother and more responsive Google's apps are on iOS.

Take Google music for example, it would randomly skip songs, fail to stream, stutter, not register button presses, etc on my Moto X. On my iPhone, it's flawless. Inbox (for Gmail) is also much faster on iOS. The biggest thing I noticed is Google Authenticator, which has more of a material design theme on iPhone than it does on Android! I don't know what kind of "integration and background processing" I'm unaware of, but I haven't noticed any detriments using Google apps on an iPhone vs Android phone.

My Moto X and iPhone 6s Plus do pretty much the same things, but in general the iPhone does them faster/better. The camera is leagues ahead of my Moto X (which, to be fair, is not anywhere near the best camera Android can offer), and the battery life is incredible. I unplugged my phone yesterday at 7AM, and today it's still at 40%. That's ~29 hours with regular usage (battery menu says 6.5 hrs usage, 29 hrs standby). No Android phone I've ever used can touch that kind of battery life, unless I put it on airplane mode.

The one thing I really dislike about iOS is the sharing menu. For example, on Android, if I'm in my photo gallery, I just click the share button, and I can send the photo/multiple photos to any app I want (upload to dropbox, send via hangouts, upload to Instagram, etc). On iOS, sometimes I can share direct from the gallery (messages, Twitter, etc) but it depends on where I want to send it. If I want to post to Instagram for example, I have to leave the gallery app, open instagram, click on the camera, and then once again find the photo I want to upload. There's no option to add Instagram to the sharing menu!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I would say that Google's apps run better on iOS than Android. I've been using Android since the OG Motorola Droid in ~2009, and I just switched to my first iPhone (6s Plus). Of course, being a long time Android user, I use Google's services extensively. One of the first things I noticed is how much smoother and more responsive Google's apps are on iOS.

Take Google music for example, it would randomly skip songs, fail to stream, stutter, not register button presses, etc on my Moto X. On my iPhone, it's flawless. Inbox (for Gmail) is also much faster on iOS. The biggest thing I noticed is Google Authenticator, which has more of a material design theme on iPhone than it does on Android! I don't know what kind of "integration and background processing" I'm unaware of, but I haven't noticed any detriments using Google apps on an iPhone vs Android phone.

My Moto X and iPhone 6s Plus do pretty much the same things, but in general the iPhone does them faster/better. The camera is leagues ahead of my Moto X (which, to be fair, is not anywhere near the best camera Android can offer), and the battery life is incredible. I unplugged my phone yesterday at 7AM, and today it's still at 40%. That's ~29 hours with regular usage (battery menu says 6.5 hrs usage, 29 hrs standby). No Android phone I've ever used can touch that kind of battery life, unless I put it on airplane mode.

The one thing I really dislike about iOS is the sharing menu. For example, on Android, if I'm in my photo gallery, I just click the share button, and I can send the photo/multiple photos to any app I want (upload to dropbox, send via hangouts, upload to Instagram, etc). On iOS, sometimes I can share direct from the gallery (messages, Twitter, etc) but it depends on where I want to send it. If I want to post to Instagram for example, I have to leave the gallery app, open instagram, click on the camera, and then once again find the photo I want to upload. There's no option to add Instagram to the sharing menu!

My #1 gripe about iOS is the sharing menu, too. It's much much much easier to share anything in Android. I understand why it isn't quite so easy in iOS, but I'd still like to be able to pick and choose which apps I can quickly share from rather than Apple or developers telling me which ones I can or cannot use.

I've been a long time Android user and I'm going to take one final stab at Android with the Nexus 6P - then if that fails, I will convert to my 6s Plus full time.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My #1 gripe about iOS is the sharing menu, too. It's much much much easier to share anything in Android. I understand why it isn't quite so easy in iOS, but I'd still like to be able to pick and choose which apps I can quickly share from rather than Apple or developers telling me which ones I can or cannot use.

I'm guessing a lot of us coming from other platforms share that gripe. Every other OS I know of - both mobile and desktop - keeps documents and apps seperate. But iOS went another way with it's "The app is the folder" paradigm, which I'm still trying to get used to.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing a lot of us coming from other platforms share that gripe. Every other OS I know of - both mobile and desktop - keeps documents and apps seperate. But iOS went another way with it's "The app is the folder" paradigm, which I'm still trying to get used to.
Yeah, like I said - I understand why they did it, but it is hard to adjust to when coming from a long time on Android and using Windows.

thecaringkind

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I must say that I miss my LG G4. However I do appreciate that under most circumstances my 6S Plus ,'just works'; there have been a couple of hiccups butI think that had more too do with iOS 9. The hardware is SOLID, Apple just needs to iron out the kinks in the software because the current iteration is not as smooth and responsive as it should be based on the hardware alone. I've jade freeze ups and stutters and stops and starts here and there and that should NOT be the case

Reggie T

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Google apps better integrated on android. I miss it. Can't wait for my 6P order to come in.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I use both Android and iOS equally, and switch between them as needed. I have both OS's for phones, iPhone that is work issued and an iPad Air 2 I just sold to my sister so I could make room for the iPad Pro coming "soon". I tend to get annoyed at the holy war mentality between Android and iOS and don't understand the reasoning behind it. Both are solid, offered features that the other didn' until they decided to add similar if not identical features in some way. Yet its called stealing or being a copycat.

Honestly it doesn't matter who created it first, who adopted it second and who improved upon it last. What matters is the feature is on the phone or OS you choose to use at that given time.

One thing I do find odd at times with iTunes App Store is how apps just disappear, I have them in my purchase history but when I try to find them again in the store their gone. I even have an app that I d/l and when I clicked to open in iTunes Store the app comes up as something totally different by the same dev. Simple solution was to delete it complete and hide it from my purchase history so it doesn't get d/l.

If I was asked what the most irritating and downright idiotic move by Apple was or is, that would be the fact that I cannot permanently TURN OFF the password requirement for the App Store. Even Google made this possible, it requires you to enter your password in the Play Store to confirm this feature and voila its done. Apple has gone overboard on pseudo security.

Still I do enjoy my MBP, iPad's, iPhones, etc and my Android devices equally.

tvouge

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
If I was asked what the most irritating and downright idiotic move by Apple was or is, that would be the fact that I cannot permanently TURN OFF the password requirement for the App Store. Even Google made this possible, it requires you to enter your password in the Play Store to confirm this feature and voila its done. Apple has gone overboard on pseudo security.

I would completely agree with this, except Touch ID makes the password requirement so painless I don't even mind.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
OP.. good post. I'm actually looking forward to moving to Android when The Priv by Blackberry is released so it does sound like I'll have a good experience with it. Hopefully Blackberry have done something good with the power management cos going from a Passport to a phone that can't last a day would be hard to take.

I will be getting way more apps and the choice of a physical and virtual keyboard all in one though so, I guess you win some and you lose some so no biggie.

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
OP.. good post. I'm actually looking forward to moving to Android when The Priv by Blackberry is released so it does sound like I'll have a good experience with it. Hopefully Blackberry have done something good with the power management cos going from a Passport to a phone that can't last a day would be hard to take.

I will be getting way more apps and the choice of a physical and virtual keyboard all in one though so, I guess you win some and you lose some so no biggie.
If BlackBerry had done this 5 years ago where would that company be today?

Last edited:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I've slowly defected from 100% in with Google (Chromebook, Android phone/tablet, etc.) to 100% Apple over the past few years and I couldn't have been happier. The last piece of hardware I needed was my iPhone (bought my Note 3 on contract two years ago). Now, I don't hate Android/Chrome OS. Far from it actually, I've nothing but good things to say about Chrome OS (Android OTOH, well get a Nexus and you'll be fine)

Honestly, the iPhone is the phone I wanted two years ago. Excellent battery life, including standby time that lasts my entire time at work (20% drain vs. my Note 3's 80% drain) without me having to add custom apps and heavily edit what is running to save power. Wifi is more responsive and gets better signals. I can't say there are no comparable Android phones but there's a big difference between my old Note 3 (which was a signature phone) and my 6s+ This is the first phone I've owned that I have wanted to use at home (where I have my tablet and computers) instead of just tossing it on the charger until I have to go out for work again.

Apple had the right idea on building this into a phone OS and some of the dumb stuff about iOS when you're using it on a tablet, you see why it is so obviously great design on the phone. The lack of vendor/carrier clutter and the clean UI are perfect and the preloaded software gives the phone a lot of utility. I could see myself owning an Android tablet again but it's going to take a lot to get away from iOS as my first choice for my phone.

The ability to sync things on my phone with my computer is awesome as well. I love getting my SMSes natively on my Mac without having to fiddle with extra programs. I used to use Verizon Messages on my Note 3 since it had a browser and native app for my laptop but neither worked as well as iMessages integration