AppleCare. To buy or not to buy, that is the question

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I've never bought AppleCare before. I'm generally carful with my phones. I've inky had one tragedy where it went into the washing machine 😳 is it worth buying? I also always switch to the new phone every year anyway. Since I have 60 days, I'm weighing my options. Thanks!

raphie

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I always get it on all things . It has saved me 3 times. Once with getting free replacement on iPhone and saved me twice with MacBook and MacBook Air. I am not rough on my things but had issues and walked out with brand new items.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
All my  products have Apple Care Plus.
All of them.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Rose Gold 128G iPhone 6s Plus

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Skipping it this year. They're getting carried away with their pricing. I was happy to get it in previous years but now it's just ridiculous. I'll probably end up doing square trade or something like that. Satan knows I'm not going to get carrier insurance either which is a total rip off.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've never bought AppleCare before. I'm generally carful with my phones. I've inky had one tragedy where it went into the washing machine �� is it worth buying? I also always switch to the new phone every year anyway. Since I have 60 days, I'm weighing my options. Thanks!

Like any insurance coverage, it's all about risk.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't use cases or screen protectors. It's a good feeling knowing I have Apple Care+ backing me up. It's just like an insurance coverage. If you keep thinking of the cost and not ever using it then it's not worth it. I like to think the opposite.

KelseyRo4

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
So I spoke with Apple to get some info. If I dropped the phone and break the screen, it would cost $100 to repair it even under the AppleCare warranty. Without the AppleCare warranty, they said it would be around $130. If I completely break my phone, like dropping it in water, then it would cost around $330 to replace. Under AppleCare, it would cost $100. However, just buying AppleCare costs $130, so total it would come out to around $230 plus tax. For the $100 difference, I'm willing to just take the risk and not buy the AppleCare.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
So I spoke with Apple to get some info. If I dropped the phone and break the screen, it would cost $100 to repair it even under the AppleCare warranty. Without the AppleCare warranty, they said it would be around $130. If I completely break my phone, like dropping it in water, then it would cost around $330 to replace. Under AppleCare, it would cost $100. However, just buying AppleCare costs $130, so total it would come out to around $230 plus tax. For the $100 difference, I'm willing to just take the risk and not buy the AppleCare.

Why 330? Wouldn't accidental damage be full price to replace? Maybe there is a reason but I am not (yet) aware of it.

BTW:

Apple Care+ "to buy or....

That is the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't get Apple Care because I have to have insurance through T-Mobile as part of the Jump Program

I have Tmo Premium insurance with the JoD program too -- actually the first time I have not purchased AppleCare for an iPhone, but my local Tmo store is great and I am trusting they will take care of me if something happens.

But generally I would say AppleCare+ is a must buy and to avoid all other insurance plans -- including through a carrier...

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I personally do not buy Apple care. It's to expensive. Now if it was 130 for apple care and no deductible I would do it. But if it's 130 to replace the screen without insurance. For its not worth it. I understand it covers more than just the screen replacement but for me that's all I'm worried about. I completely understand those who buy it and the many useful reasons for it. Just for me it's not worth it.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It's an expected value calculation.

I've bought it on last four units. Won't do so again. Did so on this one tho.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It's an expected value calculation.

I've bought it on last four units. Won't do so again. Did so on this one tho.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Absolutely right. It's a calculation. I've owned about 15 cellphones in my entire life, none of which I have broken or cracked a screen. I've dropped a few, got some superficial scratches but that's about it.

Because of the change in size, I decided to buy AppleCare+ for my 6+ and thankfully never used it. This time around I did not buy it for my 6s+. I'm pretty careful with my stuff and yes I do realize accidents happen. However, saving myself the cost of insurance yearly (over the course of 17 years of cell ownership) means that if something happens to this phone, I'll still be able even with the cost of replacement.

law2010

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I bought Apple Care Plus. I usually insure my phones through Best Buy. Based on the number of hardware failures, my wife dropping cell phones in various bodies of water, and me dropping my cell phone on concrete a few times when holding my briefcase, my child, and my phone, the insurance plans have paid off very well.

It's a risk, just like car insurance. I have had insurance on vehicles for the past 14 years and have never been in a car accident or even used my insurance, but if the time comes, I need to be covered.

You will have to do your own risk assessment. Good luck.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm sure it doesn't matter to anyone but I just don't buy it anymore. The Out of Warranty cost of repairs is 299/329 for iphone 6S and 6S Plus. And cheaper if it's just the screen. This is what you're charged if you screw up.

If you have Apple care plus and screw up, you're out 129 that you've already paid and 99 for a repair which means 229. But odds are you'll never use it. I'll take the odds and spend the extra hundred if I do break it. Since I'm using a case, the odds are with me.

For the ipad pro, I might consider it. It's more likely to be dropped by one my kids.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking about getting it, but because I purchased the 6S+ using my Amex I get an additional year on the manufacturer's warranty. And since I use a tempered glass screen saver and case, I'm not worried about accidental damage much.

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I have credit card warranty and Verizon protection as well, but the biggest sell is that I can go to an Apple Store and get a new phone instantly!

I just did it months ago for my 6 Plus and thats the real advantage than filing a claim and waiting for the phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner