Att LTE speeds on the East Coast

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone on the east coast,particularly NY/NJ area, seeing slow speeds? I've been getting only about 5-10 mbs for over a month now. It wasn't my iPhone 6 as it's the same now on my 6s plus. I called Att and they say it's a known problem in this area with many other complaints and they're working on it.
I used to get around 80.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With all of the recent storms taking place on the east coast since Friday and still ongoing, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any power outages or other issues that could be affecting LTE speeds.

Peter Rokkos

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have never seen 80 Mbs over LTE anyplace, much less in NY NJ - are you sure you are referring to the right metric here? Take a look at the Mossberg article recently comparing ATT and Verizon LTE speeds on Recode. Best average for major metro area with good coverage is 20 mb. I typically get 5-10 in central NJ and have never seen better than 10 to 20 or so. I seldom even get close to 50mb over Fios WiFi. In NYC is hit or miss depending on congestion and coverage and I've seen as good as 25 MB infrequently and an occasional crawl at 1 MB in the middle of Times Square. More often than not its a struggle to even get a single walking down the street at all as my phone gulps battery trying to find a signal... although it has gotten better.

The article is from March 2015 - not sure if they have made significant improvements since then - and I'd love to get 80 mb, but that seems crazy high. If I recall, FIOS would charge me extra for 75MB to my house than 50 MB and that is over fiber.

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen 80 Mbs over LTE anyplace, much less in NY NJ - are you sure you are referring to the right metric here? Take a look at the Mossberg article recently comparing ATT and Verizon LTE speeds on Recode. Best average for major metro area with good coverage is 20 mb. I typically get 5-10 in central NJ and have never seen better than 10 to 20 or so. I seldom even get close to 50mb over Fios WiFi. In NYC is hit or miss depending on congestion and coverage and I've seen as good as 25 MB infrequently and an occasional crawl at 1 MB in the middle of Times Square. More often than not its a struggle to even get a single walking down the street at all as my phone gulps battery trying to find a signal... although it has gotten better.

The article is from March 2015 - not sure if they have made significant improvements since then - and I'd love to get 80 mb, but that seems crazy high. If I recall, FIOS would charge me extra for 75MB to my house than 50 MB and that is over fiber.

That's right sry...80 down is over wifi. I do though remember that I have gotten over 20mbs(sometimes 40) down over LTE most of the time in the past. Here are some results from when I first got the iPhone 6 and did some testing:

LTE 2.PNG

And here is recent over Fios wifi....

LTE 3.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods