Apple Care + vs. Square Trade

jesssiii7

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I went with Apple Care because the sales person said you get a new, not refurbished phone if it needs replacing. But then later realized it doesn't cover lost or stolen, so also kept Verizon Total Care. Over kill...

silent_circle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I went with square trade for the fact that if there were any manufacture defects, it would appear in the first year, which is covered under standard apple warranty anyway. I'm careful with my phone for the most part but you never know. I had apple care in the past and I was happy with it. I did pull the apple care warranty more than once and got a new phone. That was a few years ago. There is no promise you'll get a new phone replacement (versus refurbished). I'm happy with square trade so far. Haven't had to use a warranty claim with then yet.

May 25, 2015
Visit site
For the first few weeks this is probably true...simply because of the lack of stock of refurbished variants. After that, you're almost assured to get a remanufactured replacement if you need a full replacement. It's always been like that...good thing is, the refurbished models go through a pain staking quality control process, some even think it exceeds that of the new out of box models.

Either way, what that guy told you is only partially true.

My daughter dropped her iPhone 6 that she's had for 10 months in the toilet, no insurance or Apple Care. Took it to the Apple Store and they replaced it for $200. When I asked him if it would be a refurbished phone he said no, it will be a brand new phone...we don't do refurbs.

Sleepy_ER_Dr

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I would probably stick with Apple Care, although, I can't tell you the number of times I have damaged my iPhone or iPad, lost cords, etc and taken them in to the apple store and gotten replaced screens and cords for free. So I am not sure if it is even worth it. Apple's customer service is so fantastic.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Glad this popped back up because I just got done chatting with Verizon and apparently we have Asurion Wireless Protection Plan that is $11/phone a month which covers the iPhones from lost, stolen, damaged, cracked, etc but there is a deductible of $149 for a 128gb 6S+ but $199 for a 6+...weird.
Basically, $22 a month for both phones fully covered. That's a lot but I never gave it much thought because I've been paying it forever; not to mention I don't think we've ever made a claim expect way back in MY Droid Charge days.

I feel like I need to look into other alternatives.

I went with the Verizon just because its easier and less hassle. Then one day, my wife lost her phone. They sent the phone 2nd day air and because the 2nd day fell on a Saturday, it was not delivered until Monday. The replacement was a refurb. The first refurb, the power button was broken so, it had to go back. The 2nd refurb they sent me, the vibrate switch did not work so, it had to go back. By this time I was upset and they sent me a brand new phone. I asked them how I could tell if it was a refurb and they told me I had to take their word for it. After that, i was done with Ascurion. I will never go back to them. I could not believe that they would send out a refurb phone with a broken power button and then the next one had the broken vibrate button. They must have looked at it real quick and then sent it out to me.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Square trade all way. Nearest Apple Store over 100 miles from me. Sprint care riduculous. 11 month in my ny and I don't remember what the deductible was. But 79$ deductible and 100$ for two years .

meyer

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I went with the Verizon just because its easier and less hassle. Then one day, my wife lost her phone. They sent the phone 2nd day air and because the 2nd day fell on a Saturday, it was not delivered until Monday. The replacement was a refurb. The first refurb, the power button was broken so, it had to go back. The 2nd refurb they sent me, the vibrate switch did not work so, it had to go back. By this time I was upset and they sent me a brand new phone. I asked them how I could tell if it was a refurb and they told me I had to take their word for it. After that, i was done with Ascurion. I will never go back to them. I could not believe that they would send out a refurb phone with a broken power button and then the next one had the broken vibrate button. They must have looked at it real quick and then sent it out to me.

See, that's my concern. I know from the past experiences (which weren't much) and friends, that with Android, I've/they've never had an issue with claims. iPhones seem to a huge pain when it comes to claims via Verizon. Just been lucky I never had to try; just all word of mouth is what I'm speaking from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner