Moving for WP to iOS

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I was impressed with the specs of iPhone 6s Plus, even before the announcement, from various sources and rumors, that turned out to be true, and am planning to purchase it within 3-4 months. I am not new to iOS, I already own an iPad Air for more than an year.

Now moving from my Lumia 930 to iPhone 6s plus, can someone share the pros and cons. What I really like about iOS is not the just the smoothness, but the OS looks much refined, stable and optimized, WP too is simple and smooth, not buggy like Android, but its a new OS and I didn't find it optimized yet.

More importantly I was rather disappointed with the MS for releasing a flagship after such a long time and it didn't meet my expectation.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
i used to have the 930 before it went swimming, the 6+ is my very first iDevice, and I can say that I am pleased with it. There are things you need to get used to, there will be no tiles, all notifications are in the tray that you pull down from the top, or separate inboxes for various things. You are making a smart move, for sure, I have not touched a windows phone of recent (Win10), so I can't comment, and all the new Lumias are pretty low spec for me to go out and buy one.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
i used to have the 930 before it went swimming, the 6+ is my very first iDevice, and I can say that I am pleased with it. There are things you need to get used to, there will be no tiles, all notifications are in the tray that you pull down from the top, or separate inboxes for various things. You are making a smart move, for sure, I have not touched a windows phone of recent (Win10), so I can't comment, and all the new Lumias are pretty low spec for me to go out and buy one.

Yes I am going to miss the live tiles, which with animation looks amazing. I will miss rich haac recording too, I don't understand why Apple doesn't make video recording stereo, and add HD and full rich haac support. Anyways, my Lumia 930 isn't even an year old and started giving problems. Since I already own an iPad, so I am sure, I doesn't need time to get used to it.

I hope I won't regret the switch?

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I shouldn't, that is the reason I asked for pros and cons of switching. I know iOS is much refined and optimized OS compared to any other device where the hardware is yours, but you use other's OS, so integration isn't that great.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I was impressed with the specs of iPhone 6s Plus, even before the announcement, from various sources and rumors, that turned out to be true, and am planning to purchase it within 3-4 months. I am not new to iOS, I already own an iPad Air for more than an year.

Now moving from my Lumia 930 to iPhone 6s plus, can someone share the pros and cons. What I really like about iOS is not the just the smoothness, but the OS looks much refined, stable and optimized, WP too is simple and smooth, not buggy like Android, but its a new OS and I didn't find it optimized yet.

More importantly I was rather disappointed with the MS for releasing a flagship after such a long time and it didn't meet my expectation.
I'm multiplatform and although my iPhone 6 is my main devices, I enjoy the three platforms I currently use simultaneously. One of which is my Lumia 1520.

If didn't intilally care for the live tiles but they grew on me. Of course the iPhone won't have those so there will be a shock to your system going to the notification centre and the today view. However, you can add what you want on the notification centre so it will be a bit daunting at first but I feel you can get used to it.

What you will gain is the polish and quality of the apps. For example, on my FB app I know that on my Lumia I will tap it, it will crash, then it will open on the second tap. Meh..... I deal with it. But that's not what you will find on your iPhone. It's smooth.

The settings layout is a bit awkward on my Lumia. It's more sensical on my iPhone. I an find the settings better, they seem to be grouped better on my iPhone.

Battery life is not as good on the iPhone 6 as it is on my Lumia 1520. But my iPhone 6 still gets me a full work day with constant use.

What you will appreciate on iOS is the app support from businesses. It's stellar. If an app exists, you can be fairly certain that a prime app exists for the iPhone.

Approach the iPhone as a new platform with new ways to do things and you will be fine. Be adventurous and open minded and just know that all platforms have their strengths and their weaknesses.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Moved from 1020 to iPhone 6 and no I don't regret it a bit. WP used to be very good and intuitive at version 8 or so but after that they broke it.
It may service as a company phone but not as a main driver.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It sounds as if Windows 10 was a lot like Windows 8 in that when Windows 8 came out, it had even less features than Windows 7. (last phone was a 920 with a 900 briefly before that). All I know is that Windows 10 is periodically making my gaming desktop forget the proper keys on my keyboard.

Android has been not laggy, has not crashed but for some reason Google still refuses to make apps behave in the background so you'll be fighting off a many headed hydra for awhile. That said, I have 6 hours SOT with about 2 days total in battery life on my Note 5. Honestly technology efficiency is so good now that the apps do the most damage

On the iPhone, you may not get the highest specced phone and sometimes it definitely shows up at the end of its lifetime(such as the ram issue on the 6Plus) but it is by far the most stable OS and apps are regulated by the iron fist of apple. Sometimes there is an app which will misbehave but hopefully the new battery shaming features will help.

As of right now iOS is my favorite platform but Android has my favorite features. I was really hoping the new iPhones had more megapixels (with Apples extraordinary software firmware it would have been killer) and a stylus but maybe next year.

ciscog33k

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm also a switcher from WP. I played with the preview builds on W10M and while I think MS is on the right track with universal apps, I don't have the patience anymore. The mail app on W10M has taken a big step back by eliminating the linked inbox. It's a highly requested feature, so i'm sure it will get added back in, but it's one more thing they're making us wait for.

I borrowed my wife's iPhone 6 (who herself moved from a 1020) before pre-ordering the 6s Plus. I have to say that the iOS home screen sucks compared to WP. I really miss live tiles and pinning from within application. For me, that will be the biggest loss from the move from WP to iOS. The grid of icons and folders sucks by comparison. And OneDrive is way better than iCloud so i'll miss that tight integration with that too, but I can get by with leaving the app open int he background.

What you gain are apps and app quality. I quickly discovered a bunch of apps for sites I read (bbc, realclearpolitics, the economist) that just don't exist on WP but make reading on the phone much more enjoyable. Plus there's a bunch of home automation stuff that I'm doing that has apps in ios but not WP. Apps that did exist on WP are better on iOS. Outlook on iOS is better than mail client on WP. Google maps has much better traffic info than Here, though Here with it's fully offline maps is still available on iOS for international travel where I don't want to pay for the data associated with constant map downloads.

Throw in the extras like touchID, a very good camera, and it's overall a better experience (though not universally). iPhones are fragile as hell compared to lumias though. Get a case if you're someone that drops your phone. Even if you don't, i'd get at least the apple silicone case which is nice and grippy but slim and much more attractive than most 3rd party cases.

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
It sounds as if Windows 10 was a lot like Windows 8 in that when Windows 8 came out, it had even less features than Windows 7. (last phone was a 920 with a 900 briefly before that). All I know is that Windows 10 is periodically making my gaming desktop forget the proper keys on my keyboard.

Android has been not laggy, has not crashed but for some reason Google still refuses to make apps behave in the background so you'll be fighting off a many headed hydra for awhile. That said, I have 6 hours SOT with about 2 days total in battery life on my Note 5. Honestly technology efficiency is so good now that the apps do the most damage

On the iPhone, you may not get the highest specced phone and sometimes it definitely shows up at the end of its lifetime(such as the ram issue on the 6Plus) but it is by far the most stable OS and apps are regulated by the iron fist of apple. Sometimes there is an app which will misbehave but hopefully the new battery shaming features will help.

As of right now iOS is my favorite platform but Android has my favorite features. I was really hoping the new iPhones had more megapixels (with Apples extraordinary software firmware it would have been killer) and a stylus but maybe next year.

I don't dislike android, but what I feel is, android will only perform well in nexus devices, where, there is a full integration of hardware and softwares. It's sad that nexus devices are not of premium quality and features like iPhone and Galaxy.

I think google should manufacture nexus devices by themselves instead of relying on third party.

I'm also a switcher from WP. I played with the preview builds on W10M and while I think MS is on the right track with universal apps, I don't have the patience anymore. The mail app on W10M has taken a big step back by eliminating the linked inbox. It's a highly requested feature, so i'm sure it will get added back in, but it's one more thing they're making us wait for.

I borrowed my wife's iPhone 6 (who herself moved from a 1020) before pre-ordering the 6s Plus. I have to say that the iOS home screen sucks compared to WP. I really miss live tiles and pinning from within application. For me, that will be the biggest loss from the move from WP to iOS. The grid of icons and folders sucks by comparison. And OneDrive is way better than iCloud so i'll miss that tight integration with that too, but I can get by with leaving the app open int he background.

What you gain are apps and app quality. I quickly discovered a bunch of apps for sites I read (bbc, realclearpolitics, the economist) that just don't exist on WP but make reading on the phone much more enjoyable. Plus there's a bunch of home automation stuff that I'm doing that has apps in ios but not WP. Apps that did exist on WP are better on iOS. Outlook on iOS is better than mail client on WP. Google maps has much better traffic info than Here, though Here with it's fully offline maps is still available on iOS for international travel where I don't want to pay for the data associated with constant map downloads.

Throw in the extras like touchID, a very good camera, and it's overall a better experience (though not universally). iPhones are fragile as hell compared to lumias though. Get a case if you're someone that drops your phone. Even if you don't, i'd get at least the apple silicone case which is nice and grippy but slim and much more attractive than most 3rd party cases.

I always give extra care to my smartphones. The very first thing that I will purchase for my iPhone 6s Plus is a good tempered glass protection and a premium case that should not only provide protection but give premium look and feel

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
What you will lose:

• Live tiles
  • Dedicated camera button
  • Amazing semi-professional camera software (Lumia Camera v5)
  • MicroSD support (although the 930 doesn't have that, anyway)
  • Charging via MicroUSB, you'll always need a special cable
  • Wireless charging (although again, as far as I know the 930 doesn't have that anyway)
  • Glance (do I need to repeat myself about awesome features the 930 does not have?)
  • That special feeling of being an outsider
  • Resuming...

What you will gain:

• A smooth, working system that is much more integrated and not a clustered mess
  • User interface consistence
  • Apps, Apps, Apps
  • Support for Apple Pay (although depending on where you live this might be a moot point)
  • Much more reliable notifications
  • Apps, Apps, Apps
  • Updates for the operating system are available immediately for all supported systems unlike Windows Phone which might be available at some point in the future, but not for your specific model on this carrier, but maybe if you switched carriers and kept the phone, but not in the US only in Canada and Europe, etc. This was the one thing about Windows Phone I hated the most - the Denim rollout even beat the Android update experience, which says a lot.
  • Bluetooth is much more reliable in my experience, I've had trouble due to the to the operating system's bluetooth stack not being fully functional and very buggy in general.
  • Did I mention Apps?

Last edited:

Vyenkatesh

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm multiplatform and although my iPhone 6 is my main devices, I enjoy the three platforms I currently use simultaneously. One of which is my Lumia 1520.

If didn't intilally care for the live tiles but they grew on me. Of course the iPhone won't have those so there will be a shock to your system going to the notification centre and the today view. However, you can add what you want on the notification centre so it will be a bit daunting at first but I feel you can get used to it.

What you will gain is the polish and quality of the apps. For example, on my FB app I know that on my Lumia I will tap it, it will crash, then it will open on the second tap. Meh..... I deal with it. But that's not what you will find on your iPhone. It's smooth.

The settings layout is a bit awkward on my Lumia. It's more sensical on my iPhone. I an find the settings better, they seem to be grouped better on my iPhone.

Battery life is not as good on the iPhone 6 as it is on my Lumia 1520. But my iPhone 6 still gets me a full work day with constant use.

What you will appreciate on iOS is the app support from businesses. It's stellar. If an app exists, you can be fairly certain that a prime app exists for the iPhone.

Approach the iPhone as a new platform with new ways to do things and you will be fine. Be adventurous and open minded and just know that all platforms have their strengths and their weaknesses.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Absolutely my thoughts, specially the app support from businesses. Microsoft themselves are giving first preference to iOS while developing their own new apps. Whatever the reason maybe.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't dislike android, but what I feel is, android will only perform well in nexus devices, where, there is a full integration of hardware and softwares. It's sad that nexus devices are not of premium quality and features like iPhone and Galaxy.

You're thinking of Android 3 years ago...things are very different now. My Galaxy S6 is lightening fast and performs just as fluid/fast/responsive as a Nexus 6 or Moto X. And trust me, prior to the S6 I had a S3 and HATED what Samsung stood for...things have changed for the better, and its thanks to iPhone for pushing them to do so.

To weigh in here, so I was a WP7/8 fan and spent many years defending WP...move to iOS. WP7/8 had some great social integration and the Metro style worked so well for mobile...8.1 was the start of changes that broke the model...and WP10 looks to continue. While i agree, and the main reason i havent gone back to iOS since my 5S (which my wife has), the grid layout is a complete snore and the lack of customization is disappointing. Otherwise, iOS is killer...stability wise its well above Android and WP, it JUST WORKS...always. The optimization of iOS on iPhone is excellent, it looks at user experience above anything else...and thats why it does so well in sales (aside from the popularity contest of its cool to own an iPhone).

Let me re-iterate...yes, the loss of customization will be difficult and it is the reason i left iOS (for now). While many of the iPhone fans cannot understand or appreciate the freedom WP and Android offer, it is a huge con. But if you can overlook it, you'll be very pleased you made the switch.

sdreamer

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm another who just recently moved from WP to iOS. It was pretty difficult to let go. I went from af Lumia 920 to the 6s Plus. There were several things that were pretty annoying to get used to that just worked wonderfully on the iPhone. Simple things like just editing text with a tap and getting suggestions that were you wanted to replace it with vs having to tap short hold to select and getting lackluster suggestions on iOS. LOVED Quiet Hours. This was one thing that I'll severely miss. Sure iPhones have the little cool switch to go between quiet and on, but having that automatic based on my work schedule was awesome, not to mention all the compliments I got from others who got the automatic reply before I even read the message; they thought that was always awesome because it was pretty smart for a device to do. That segues into Driving Mode. Driving Mode is awesome, on how well it works when you pair it with Bluetooth in your car, this impressed many others as well. But it's flawed in how you cannot manually turn it on without having it to pair to Bluetooth. If it was paired with Bluetooth anyways couldn't you just use Cortana to do hands free interactions? Kinda was stupid how it was implemented (would have made more sense to be able to start this manually, or use NFC to trigger it with stickers). Glance.... oh how that was another thing that was difficult to let go of. Glance made LED notificaitons seem archaic, and going to iOS without glance was hard, but mitigated for the most part because I have a Microsoft band that alerts me anyways, but for my father, he really misses glance, and is considering just testing his 6S+ for 10 days before deciding. From Glance we have Tap to Wake. No idea how useful this is and how much of a habit it becomes. After this was the super sensitive screen. So sensitive that I use my pen (Pentel Energel Alloy) as a stylus. Who needs a Note 6 like device when you could use a metal pen or object as a stylus already? Because of that, shapewriter became even more amazing. Being able to use my pen to do shapewriting was really nice when I had my Lumia 920 on the table. Didn't have to pick it up, just double tapped with the pen and shapewrote replies so easily and so quickly. Another area was nonphysical buttons. I've seen so many iPhones with busted home buttons, you'd never have that on Lumias due to use of capacitative buttons (I've been afraid of over using my home button on my 6S+). Oh, another thing are offline maps. On iOS if I use the native maps app I worry about how much data is being consumers, but you know, there's an app for that, so I downloaded Here Maps, and for some odd reason it speaks super fast, but at least I have offline maps? I still haven't been able to find a GPS app that was as feature packed as it was on WP8 with offline maps. Then there's the obvious things like Live Tiles, replying from the notification center (W10), etc.
Now things you gain with iOS (the things that keep me from going back). TouchID is almost as habit forming if not better than tap to wake. App Quality is better for key apps (Facebook, etc are amazing, then you have things like Costco which are literally supped up webapps). Small details, like the detail pane in messages that let you review all the attachments is super nice. Apps. I finally have all the medical apps I need as a pharmacist (this is probably the deal breaker for me to go back because its important for my career.). Airdrop. Airdrop is amazing. I thought I'd miss being able to tap to send, but geeze, airdrop is so much easier. Just have ppl have it turned on contacts only , and you'll be able to send things super quick instead of having to have to tap to send. Future proofing. I think iOS and Apple products in general are the most secure for future proofing. The iPhone4s was even updated. But the conundrum is quite a few of Apple users are the type that have to upgrade every year. If you find to be that type, then you negate this. I got the iPhone 6S+ for the ecosystem. With the iPad Pro giving newer tools to use with apps, the Apple TV giving better access to the bigger screen, and iPhones for mobile, you can see how strongly supported the ecosystem is. You know Apple isn't going to just start ripping things out (like Microsoft did with hubs, then Skype for W8, then Photo apps for WP8). Something that trigger this thought for me when I switched was seeing the plethora of bands they have for the Apple Watch. They continue to strongly support that platform as well. Then there's lots of other things like how amazing panoramas are taken, slo-mo video for the laughs, etc.
Imo iOS is just worth going to now even though WP, I think, is a better OS. You have much more quality key apps (not all apps are better, still can't find a single app that is close to Tango Master on WP), support, key features that are solid (details pane in message, panoramas, etc).
Anyways that was probably a small snippet into what I went through. If Microsoft apps were just as good quality as they are on iOS, I might not have moved, but that sort of thing signals to me that Microsoft is has iOS as a higher priority. The best Windows Phone probably is the "iPhone Pro."

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm another who just recently moved from WP to iOS. It was pretty difficult to let go. I went from af Lumia 920 to the 6s Plus. There were several things that were pretty annoying to get used to that just worked wonderfully on the iPhone. Simple things like just editing text with a tap and getting suggestions that were you wanted to replace it with vs having to tap short hold to select and getting lackluster suggestions on iOS. LOVED Quiet Hours. This was one thing that I'll severely miss. Sure iPhones have the little cool switch to go between quiet and on, but having that automatic based on my work schedule was awesome, not to mention all the compliments I got from others who got the automatic reply before I even read the message; they thought that was always awesome because it was pretty smart for a device to do. That segues into Driving Mode. Driving Mode is awesome, on how well it works when you pair it with Bluetooth in your car, this impressed many others as well. But it's flawed in how you cannot manually turn it on without having it to pair to Bluetooth. If it was paired with Bluetooth anyways couldn't you just use Cortana to do hands free interactions? Kinda was stupid how it was implemented (would have made more sense to be able to start this manually, or use NFC to trigger it with stickers). Glance.... oh how that was another thing that was difficult to let go of. Glance made LED notificaitons seem archaic, and going to iOS without glance was hard, but mitigated for the most part because I have a Microsoft band that alerts me anyways, but for my father, he really misses glance, and is considering just testing his 6S+ for 10 days before deciding. From Glance we have Tap to Wake. No idea how useful this is and how much of a habit it becomes. After this was the super sensitive screen. So sensitive that I use my pen (Pentel Energel Alloy) as a stylus. Who needs a Note 6 like device when you could use a metal pen or object as a stylus already? Because of that, shapewriter became even more amazing. Being able to use my pen to do shapewriting was really nice when I had my Lumia 920 on the table. Didn't have to pick it up, just double tapped with the pen and shapewrote replies so easily and so quickly. Another area was nonphysical buttons. I've seen so many iPhones with busted home buttons, you'd never have that on Lumias due to use of capacitative buttons (I've been afraid of over using my home button on my 6S+). Oh, another thing are offline maps. On iOS if I use the native maps app I worry about how much data is being consumers, but you know, there's an app for that, so I downloaded Here Maps, and for some odd reason it speaks super fast, but at least I have offline maps? I still haven't been able to find a GPS app that was as feature packed as it was on WP8 with offline maps. Then there's the obvious things like Live Tiles, replying from the notification center (W10), etc.
Now things you gain with iOS (the things that keep me from going back). TouchID is almost as habit forming if not better than tap to wake. App Quality is better for key apps (Facebook, etc are amazing, then you have things like Costco which are literally supped up webapps). Small details, like the detail pane in messages that let you review all the attachments is super nice. Apps. I finally have all the medical apps I need as a pharmacist (this is probably the deal breaker for me to go back because its important for my career.). Airdrop. Airdrop is amazing. I thought I'd miss being able to tap to send, but geeze, airdrop is so much easier. Just have ppl have it turned on contacts only , and you'll be able to send things super quick instead of having to have to tap to send. Future proofing. I think iOS and Apple products in general are the most secure for future proofing. The iPhone4s was even updated. But the conundrum is quite a few of Apple users are the type that have to upgrade every year. If you find to be that type, then you negate this. I got the iPhone 6S+ for the ecosystem. With the iPad Pro giving newer tools to use with apps, the Apple TV giving better access to the bigger screen, and iPhones for mobile, you can see how strongly supported the ecosystem is. You know Apple isn't going to just start ripping things out (like Microsoft did with hubs, then Skype for W8, then Photo apps for WP8). Something that trigger this thought for me when I switched was seeing the plethora of bands they have for the Apple Watch. They continue to strongly support that platform as well. Then there's lots of other things like how amazing panoramas are taken, slo-mo video for the laughs, etc.
Imo iOS is just worth going to now even though WP, I think, is a better OS. You have much more quality key apps (not all apps are better, still can't find a single app that is close to Tango Master on WP), support, key features that are solid (details pane in message, panoramas, etc).
Anyways that was probably a small snippet into what I went through. If Microsoft apps were just as good quality as they are on iOS, I might not have moved, but that sort of thing signals to me that Microsoft is has iOS as a higher priority. The best Windows Phone probably is the "iPhone Pro."

Thanks for sharing, but I do have a question. Your last statement is this: "The best Windows Phone probably is the iPhone Pro". I don't recall Apple introducing an iPhone Pro. Am I missing something?

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I switch from WP back to iPhone too! I just kind of had it with Microsofts lack of commitment on it phones. I understand they are trying to build market share but in the U.S.; they kind of abandon their existing user base! The 950 doesn't look to flagshippy to me either! Welcome to the iPhone and Apple!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I switch from WP back to iPhone too! I just kind of had it with Microsofts lack of commitment on it phones. I understand they are trying to build market share but in the U.S.; they kind of abandon their existing user base! The 950 doesn't look to flagshippy to me either! Welcome to the iPhone and Apple!
I had that feeling when I had my 920; it's sad that they still haven't gotten better

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73