Your 6S Plus shoots 4k Video... and Apple has no way to play it on your 4k TV.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a 5k iMac so I am good to go on the front, however, if you have a 4k TV there is no easy way to watch 4k video shot with your 6S/6S Plus.

I'm looking at you new Apple TV. :crying:

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I use dropbox with a 1TB bucket for $99/year.
Everything uploads in the background and I can then play it back on my MBP->TB2->LG 31MU97.
Will be interesting to compare 6S+ 4K video to Note 5 and Edge+ video.
I haven't heard any mention of raw support for this device. It's amazing with the Note5/Edge+ phones!

Art H

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a 5k iMac so I am good to go on the front, however, if you have a 4k TV there is no easy way to watch 4k video shot with your 6S/6S Plus.

I'm looking at you new Apple TV. :crying:

Don't cry yet, something doesn't make sense here. Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised with a update in the not-so-distant future that enables 4K, otherwise this thing is dead in the water.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure most people really care, honestly. I love my apple tv but I use it to watch Netflix, Prime and Youtube but my tv's aren't anywhere near 4K. Hell my Note 5 has 4x the resolution of an iPhone 6s but even that can't play 4K video. Maybe at the end of the iPhone 6s's life, 4K will be common but it isn't now.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe at the end of the iPhone 6s's life, 4K will be common but it isn't now.

Have you been TV shopping/browsing lately? Best Buy, Sams, Costco etc etc. ....... 4k is everywhere. If you go to Best Buy.com, they have more 4k sets listed than 1080p.

I would say 4k sets are very common. What isn't common is content..... but its getting there.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Have you been TV shopping/browsing lately? Best Buy, Sams, Costco etc etc. ....... 4k is everywhere. If you go to Best Buy.com, they have more 4k sets listed than 1080p.

I would say 4k sets are very common. What isn't common is content..... but its getting there.

Guess I haven't. I was under the impression they were more expensive than they were.

Amazon fire tv apparently has 4K video support: Amazon Fire TV - Amazon's Official Site - Learn More

Is it possible to include it in a software update or is the hardware lacking?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
4K TV's in stores are prevalent because they have tons of stock and nobody is really buying them. They are not common place in homes, only in retail stores...who bought into the stuff like they did 3D TV's when that was all the craze. Looking at the technology, I don't think anyone will be clamoring over 4K TV's at all in 2-3 years, just like nobody really cares whether their tv has 3D tech or not.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
4K TV's in stores are prevalent because they have tons of stock and nobody is really buying them. They are not common place in homes, only in retail stores...who bought into the stuff like they did 3D TV's when that was all the craze. Looking at the technology, I don't think anyone will be clamoring over 4K TV's at all in 2-3 years, just like nobody really cares whether their tv has 3D tech or not.

I liked my Evo 3D. Just couldn't stare at the pictures for long. Neither can I play my consol with 3D for more than 30 minutes. 4k televisions give me a huge headache. Am I the only one with that problem? LOL

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I liked my Evo 3D. Just couldn't stare at the pictures for long. Neither can I play my consol with 3D for more than 30 minutes. 4k televisions give me a huge headache. Am I the only one with that problem? LOL

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. ��

It's actually a fairly common complaint about 4K televisions...but it's really not related to the resolution from what I understand (which is actually BETTER for your eyes because it's better for the discriminating ability of the eye to where it doesn't have to strain as much (related to resolution). Where the problems come in is excessive brightness you typically find on these televisions (and even retina displays from Apple believe it or not)...

Scaling also has to do with eye strain. Things that are not scaled properly for a 4K television will cause a person to straight to read (because text and pictures, when scaled incorrectly, tend to be smaller...causing you to lean in closer, causing straight on the eye muscles).

This same kind of thing was reported when HD tv's were first coming on the market, and then again when 1080p began to be the regular high end resolution (especially after blu-ray became common place).

blasted11

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have been looking at 4K tv's recently until I found the charts of screen size in relation to how close you have to be to see the difference over 1080p... Needless to say I will not be buying a 4K anytime soon. It stinks because I sit only 8 ft from my tv (currently a 42" 1080p) and it seems I would need a 75" to take advantage of 4K at that distance. Well I cannot afford one at that size, so I'll go with a 55" 1080p instead.
I may get the Apple TV vs other products who may do 4K since I won't have a TV for it for a while anyway.

Here's a chart if anyone is interested:

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73