What are 2gb ram benefits?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Will it affect battery life too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but going from 1GB to 2GB, the effect should be minimal... and the benefits should outweigh any additional battery drain. Personally, I don't see this as anything to be concerned about.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Your phone will do more with less boggle. For the most part, you won't notice much. If you've had a history of "loading" issues, you may notice improvement there. We don't know how this will shake out.

David Krug1

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
If anything, it might help to save battery life a little, as you'd be able to keep more previously-used apps in memory and not have to reload them if you switch back to them.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
All I know is that my 32gb Gold 5s with 1gb of RAM ran EXCELLENT, and now my 128gb Space Gray 6 Plus with 1gb of RAM runs EXCELLENT. I'm not saying that 2gb of RAM will or will not make a difference, but I do know that you can have as much RAM as you want, if the OS is lousy than it's lousy and no amount of RAM is going to change that. I really think people are getting wrapped up in this RAM thing a little to much....It's the entire device working together like a well oiled machine....just my .02 cents.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Multiple tabs open in safari without reloading websites, multitasking without reloading, 4K video benefits, more cached information so that loading is minimal. Non reloading "popping" when you decided to do more when you "peek." More powerful games along with the new CPU. Most people don't think they need it because they've never had it before but you do and Apple is upgrading because they saw how it affected the 6Plus.

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Multiple tabs open in safari without reloading websites, multitasking without reloading, 4K video benefits, more cached information so that loading is minimal. Non reloading "popping" when you decided to do more when you "peek." More powerful games along with the new CPU. Most people don't think they need it because they've never had it before but you do and Apple is upgrading because they saw how it affected the 6Plus.

The only reason the iPhone 6s series has 2 GB is because they want the user to continue to have the "Apple" experience. That is why they did not even bring it up in the press release/event. It is not important to the end user what the number of Gigs is but instead how the phone works. I am sure they do not want to get into a numbers war with Android and see commercials where it points out that the Samsung has 3 Gigs of memory so its better.....not to mention the cost would be passed on to us and impact Apples sales strategy.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Well said. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dv8silencer

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I moved from an android device to the 6 plus about 1 year ago. Only having 1 GB was definitely noticeable and continues to annoy me. The system at most keeps 2-3 of the most recent apps I've used on screen ready to go. Anything else, or even if I'm on google chrome + one other app, if I try to switch, the app essentially has to reload. I mean I just see what someone sees on the PC when it has to page due to lack of RAM.

You double tap on home. You see a long list of "used apps." Now if I go from apple music back to chrome, I'm hoping it is near instantaneous as it should be if it were all in RAM. What happens most of the time is all the tabs have to reload, though my position is not lost.

iOS 9 does seem a little slower on my 6 Plus. This will improve with maturity but I'm thinking the bump to 2 GB may also be secondary to actually needing it--- to maintain the "Apple" experience.

2GB should be great...

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site

ALL websites reload, no matter what platform you're on. I can see web pages automatically reload and refresh on my desktop. If you don't come back to a webpage for a long time, it will reload because it's too old.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I am talking about within a couple of minutes. They only reload when it goes out of memory. My macbook pro has 16GB of ram and I have multiple tabs of safari open. They do not reload. I urge you to look into why your desktop is reloading pages. On my Note 5, I can go in and out of apps without them reloading, including websites when I have to look something up. Yes they will reload eventually but not within a couple of minutes. On my 6Plus, I had that happen all the time when I went and looked something up and then came back and had my long Tapatalk answer gone. It was annoying and it shouldn't have happened.

Some are asserting that we do not need this yet why is Apple doing so by cutting into their profits? Some are saying that Apple doesn't advertise RAM, fine. Why now though? Because they recognize it is an issue. I am not talking about any Android Vs. Apple nonsense; I switch between both all the time. I'm talking about loss of productivity and the smoothness of the OS.

As mobile capabilities improve we need more short-term space. Apple has done a fantastic job in efficiently handling iOS until now but it cannot keep running on 1 GB. The OS is just getting too advanced. The games are getting too advanced. Apps are getting too advanced. Apple is finally moving into multitasking and editing high quality photos and video on the go. That is a good thing but software cannot improve if the hardware is limited.

I am not making it into a platform war. I am just warning that although Apple makes a helluva product, they are including 2GB of ram because iOS NEEDS it.

The iPhone 6 Plus hardware costs 242 dollars(Forbes Welcome) with ram costing $5.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am talking about within a couple of minutes. They only reload when it goes out of memory. My macbook pro has 16GB of ram and I have multiple tabs of safari open. They do not reload. I urge you to look into why your desktop is reloading pages. On my Note 5, I can go in and out of apps without them reloading, including websites when I have to look something up. Yes they will reload eventually but not within a couple of minutes. On my 6Plus, I had that happen all the time when I went and looked something up and then came back and had my long Tapatalk answer gone. It was annoying and it shouldn't have happened.

Some are asserting that we do not need this yet why is Apple doing so by cutting into their profits? Some are saying that Apple doesn't advertise RAM, fine. Why now though? Because they recognize it is an issue. I am not talking about any Android Vs. Apple nonsense; I switch between both all the time. I'm talking about loss of productivity and the smoothness of the OS.

As mobile capabilities improve we need more short-term space. Apple has done a fantastic job in efficiently handling iOS until now but it cannot keep running on 1 GB. The OS is just getting too advanced. The games are getting too advanced. Apps are getting too advanced. Apple is finally moving into multitasking and editing high quality photos and video on the go. That is a good thing but software cannot improve if the hardware is limited.

I am not making it into a platform war. I am just warning that although Apple makes a helluva product, they are including 2GB of ram because iOS NEEDS it.

The iPhone 6 Plus hardware costs 242 dollars(Forbes Welcome) with ram costing $5.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome any enhancement that will make my device, any device run better, and if 2gb of RAM will do that then fine, but I'm sure before Apple and their design team put the 6 Plus on the market they tested it and found that 1gb of RAM could run the 6 Plus efficiently. I haven't experience any of the issues you described in your post about reloading a app, thread, post ectera, more than normal reloading. I do understand that as advancement of Apple's OS unfolds that more RAM will be needed, and once again I welcome it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711