3D Touch Surprises

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Probably so. I'm sure the new capabilities shown in the keynote will be very useful, but I'm still having a hard time understanding how the majority of the 3d touch capabilities demonstrated in the keynote couldn't be be accomplished on current devices with a long press. I hate to be THAT guy by saying this, but a lot of these new menu features were available on the last android phone I used several years ago. So yeah... Maybe a hands on demo will invoke a "oh, now I get it" moment, but I really am not getting it right now.

Both the Android long press and 3D Touch provide a secondary touch. (The equivalent of a right click on a mouse). However, long press is slow. You need to place your finger and wait for the response. The 3D Touch is immediately acted upon. Which is why Apple have decided to use the feature to accelerate actions. You can quickly peek at data without losing your place in the current app. This is a great alternative to navigating to a new thing, and then navigating back.
That seems to be the main difference among others.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Both the Android long press and 3D Touch provide a secondary touch. (The equivalent of a right click on a mouse). However, long press is slow. You need to place your finger and wait for the response. The 3D Touch is immediately acted upon. Which is why Apple have decided to use the feature to accelerate actions. You can quickly peek at data without losing your place in the current app. This is a great alternative to navigating to a new thing, and then navigating back.
That seems to be the main difference among others.

I do agree that it looks very useful. Will have to see for myself to see whether I agree that it's faster. The long press feature I used a few years ago was not slow.

iloveamystery

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Probably so. I'm sure the new capabilities shown in the keynote will be very useful, but I'm still having a hard time understanding how the majority of the 3d touch capabilities demonstrated in the keynote couldn't be be accomplished on current devices with a long press. I hate to be THAT guy by saying this, but a lot of these new menu features were available on the last android phone I used several years ago. So yeah... Maybe a hands on demo will invoke a "oh, now I get it" moment, but I really am not getting it right now.

Well, on the home screen, a long press brings up the edit app interface and the force touch brings up shortcuts. Two different things. And in the mail app, there are two stages, the peek and pop. You could probably do one with long pressing but not both since taking your finger off to do the second long press would cause the peek to go away.

Those are just two that I remember. I'm sure we will see much more interesting things as developers get time to update their apps.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Long press is a measure of time and just one function. It's a slower and less effective process. 3D touch is a measure of pressure and can perform multiple functions quickly. The question is what Apple will allow devs to do with it on the home screen. Obviously there are quick actions but maybe it will be a way to quickly glance at information too. Light press a weather app and see a radar or current condition information. Light press a sports app and see your favorite teams score. I honestly think 3D touch is the beginning of the end of the physical home button.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Long press is a measure of time and just one function. It's a slower and less effective process. 3D touch is a measure of pressure and can perform multiple functions quickly. The question is what Apple will allow devs to do with it on the home screen. Obviously there are quick actions but maybe it will be a way to quickly glance at information too. Light press a weather app and see a radar or current condition information. Light press a sports app and see your favorite teams score. I honestly think 3D touch is the beginning of the end of the physical home button.

I doubt that especially with the finger print scanner just coming into existence. I also don't know how you'd enact multitasking cards on iOS without the home button.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that especially with the finger print scanner just coming into existence. I also don't know how you'd enact multitasking cards on iOS without the home button.

Well they already have it set up so you can enact cards with 3D touch at least in some instances. I don't know if you can do it directly in the home screen but you can do it within apps. I said beginning of the end because Apple tends to train users on certain interactions over time before expanding the use of those actions. I'm thinking at some point the fingerprint scanner maybe gets implemented into the screen itself in an area where the button currently is but it will be a special area where by using 3D touch you can replicate the button without having the actual button. I don't see it happening necessarily in the next couple generations of phones but I do think this screen technology enables them to start considering it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johaleesi

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering how we'll delete apps with 3D Touch. If you light press to peek and long press to pop, how will you delete your apps now?

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering how we'll delete apps with 3D Touch. If you light press to peek and long press to pop, how will you delete your apps now?

With long press you're touching the icon for a certain length of time. With 3D touch pop you're adding pressure to the touch.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Sakroz

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
If lets say long press is a left mouse button, with 3D touch we are getting right and middle mouse button, you can only do so much with just long press, pressure sensitivity gives it a more dimension and depending on pressure different kind of menus. This also lays the ground work to get rid of the home button. It's gonna happen not if but when.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2