How to analyze battery life?

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Before I get told to go look at battery usage. Yes I know all about that.

I had my iphone for almost 2 years before I had to go to apple to have them change out the battery. My phone was just eating thru the battery. They determined it had exceeded the charge cycles that was guaranteed. Now 5 months after changing it. I'm back to needing to throw it in low power mode more often because it seems it is just draining quick again.
I just loaded the "battery life" app in there and it says I have very low wear level. But that doesn't reflect how now it seems it eats thru battery. And I have normal usage. Nothing excessive. So before I go taking it into the apple store and having them tell me the same thing is there any other tips to look into things on whats going on? Could something be eating up the battery based on activity I don't know?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's possible something is causing excessive drain. Which iPhone? 2 years sounds about right with heavy use. My old iPhone 5 barely made it 2 years. It was down to about an hour usage per charge. You need to first determine if you in fact have a drain issue. The guarantee offered by Apple is 80% battery life up to 500 cycles. That doesn't mean it's gone bad at 600 cycles or 60% battery life. But as the life goes down, you have to charge more often. Try this battery drain test and see if there is a drain issue.

Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute.
If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Does your phone get or stay warm when its been sitting for a while, not charging?
A bad battery will not produce excessive heat where as a good battery with a heavy load will produce heat and short life. In this case load would be an app or log signal or a glitch causing heavy processor usage.

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I'll have to try this. I know I was working in a place with horrible signal for a few months. I'd have to rely on wifi just to go online.
But I had my phone about 2 years then changed battery. Now this one just seems like from time to time it wants to drain quick. My usage seems about normal. I've actually posted up my stats showing what each app is using and people seem to think nothing excessive. Also I try not to charge it more than I need to. I guess I just get paranoid letting it drain out too much. Actually bought a battery pack for charging when it had original battery that was draining excessive. I'd go from 100% down to 25 in couple hours. I was in the cold but there be days I'd plug it in when it was drained out all the way, plug in and it jumps right back up to reasonable amount.

But definitely will try your tip and see if any issues.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to try this. I know I was working in a place with horrible signal for a few months. I'd have to rely on wifi just to go online.
But I had my phone about 2 years then changed battery. Now this one just seems like from time to time it wants to drain quick. My usage seems about normal. I've actually posted up my stats showing what each app is using and people seem to think nothing excessive. Also I try not to charge it more than I need to. I guess I just get paranoid letting it drain out too much. Actually bought a battery pack for charging when it had original battery that was draining excessive. I'd go from 100% down to 25 in couple hours. I was in the cold but there be days I'd plug it in when it was drained out all the way, plug in and it jumps right back up to reasonable amount.

But definitely will try your tip and see if any issues.

Please use the quote option so the person you're talking to will know it's for them.

fabio984

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a Macbook? If yes, you can install the app CoconutBattery on it, and then plug the USB and it will tell you the atual battery life capacity, battery cycles, and others status.
I'm using Phone 5S, 1 year and a half old, and battery drains very fast.
Hope getting better battery life with the 6.