My iCloud storage is almost full, what are my options?

atomarchio

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I have an iphone 6 on Verizon with 5GB. I keep getting the "storage almost full" email.

I am already backing up photos and videos with dropbox so I don't need icloud to do this.

Is there a way to delete the photos and videos taking up space by logging into icloud from a windows computer? And keep using icloud to only backup the other items.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off iCloud storage of Photos in Settings > iCloud on your phone. You can also be selective in what else is sent there via this Setting and it's included iCloud Drive link.

I cannot think of a reason you couldn't delete the photos already in your iCloud - be it via a Windows or Mac - but I haven't used Windows access for some time. The whole point of online access to your iCloud is that you are able to manipulate your account as you see fit.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Be sure to delete all the deleted photos in the Recently Deleted Photos album. Those will take up space in iCloud storage. Delete photos in messages.

atomarchio

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I can't find the folder when I login to icloud on my windows computer.

I hit "icloud drive" and then it's just blank.

Where to find the folder/files?

would be easier to delete from my desktop computer over the phone itself.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't find the folder when I login to icloud on my windows computer.

I hit "icloud drive" and then it's just blank.

Where to find the folder/files?

would be easier to delete from my desktop computer over the phone itself.

Any photos you delete from your camera roll on your phone will also delete in iCloud.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes but I would prefer to delete by logging into icloud from windows desktop. Is that possible?

Frankly, I've had issues with the icloud folder in Mac, too. Mostly gave up - no way near as efficient and intuitive as Dropbox. It's just faster here to go online and access your iCloud account there. www.icloud.com

Shouldn't be any reason you can't delete the pics there and do other clean up that reduces your load on your permitted storage.

atomarchio

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I want to delete all photos and videos from icloud via my desktop computer running windows. I don't need them backed up as I'm already doing that with dropbox.

However, I'd like icloud to backup everything else still.

How can I do that?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I want to delete all photos and videos from icloud via my desktop computer running windows. I don't need them backed up as I'm already doing that with dropbox.

However, I'd like icloud to backup everything else still.

How can I do that?

Can't you toggle photos off in iCloud on your phone before a back up? I do.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not at all? There's at least 5GB backed up once it hits limit.

Would I be able to restore that 5GB even if it can't backup everything?

To get the 5 gb back, you would need to make the next back up smaller. The new back up should override the old one. It's what I do. You can manage what you include in the update in Settings >iCloud > storage> Manage storage > this iPhone > Toggle off what you don't want included.
Also delete photos or upload them from your phone to Dropbox or Box. Delete photos in messages and in the Recently Deleted album.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods