Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Garz
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Upgrading phone

I've got an iphone 6(been having battery issues) and might consider going to the 6s. What's best way to transfer all my stuff to the new phone? Songs and photos I have on my computer. But I completely forget how I got the music on there in the first place. Photos are thru icloud. So how would I get them transferred to the new phone.
    As far as apps I'd probably just screen shot the pages on my phone to remember what apps I have. Or is there a way to just reload them to a new phone?

Default Re: Upgrading phone

Backup the current device via iTunes or iCloud and then restore that backup to the new one.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,224 Global Posts

Like Just_Me_D said, the best way is to back up and restore through iTunes or iCloud. Always works well for me.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,825 Global Posts

Make sure you have the Latest version of iTunes and backup and connect the 6s in when you get it worked fine for me ,Good Luck .
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts

As noted above.

Also, once you've signed back into the App Store, you can review whatever app you've ever downloaded (Updates > Purchased) - just in case an app didn't make the backup you use, or you have second thoughts about an app you've deleted, but can't recall what it was.
    iMore Elite

Be sure to use encrypted backup. That all your information from in your applications will be restored as well as all the applications will be put in the same folders as you created. Even your screen wall paper will be exactly as on the other device. All your settings will also be copied over.

BUT... Write your encryption password down.

Default Upgrading phone

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Beagle View Post
    Be sure to use encrypted backup. That all your information from in your applications will be restored as well as all the applications will be put in the same folders as you created. Even your screen wall paper will be exactly as on the other device. All your settings will also be copied over.

Encrypting your backups has no bearing on your applications, folders, or wallpaper. Encrypting your backups allows confidential data like passwords, wifi settings, browser history, and health data to be restored to your device.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    14,634 Global Posts

Default Upgrading phone

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Beagle View Post

You just described a regular backup. Not an encrypted. Rob nailed it above of the purpose of an encrypted backup.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

When I switched from the 6 to my 6s, my backup restored everything: contacts, music, apps (in the correct positions on my screens), etc. It was very easy and thorough.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

In case you haven't switched yet, try using "low power mode". I was having battery issues as well and now I can get though the day (at least 12 hours) without carrying a charger.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by pedromsouza View Post
    In case you haven't switched yet, try using "low power mode". I was having battery issues as well and now I can get though the day (at least 12 hours) without carrying a charger.
    I have done that at times when I am going to be away from power. I find using Waze as my GPS really kills it quickly. I'm also wondering if never shutting the phone off has its toll on it?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Or if you like your device and don't want to spend money on a new one just yet, go to an Apple Store and get a new battery installed. It says the price is $79 or any iPhone. So its cheaper than getting a new device.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I use Waze as well, but I have a car charger. Waze works with the screen off, if just listening to directions is enough for you. I check traffic conditions, pick a route and leave the screen off to listen the speed warnings.
    iMore Intermediate

Backup via iCloud. This is what I aways do.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    Or if you like your device and don't want to spend money on a new one just yet, go to an Apple Store and get a new battery installed. It says the price is $79 or any iPhone. So its cheaper than getting a new device.
    Thats the thing I am not sure what I want to do yet. If I wanted them to check the battery they can do that right? I literally woke up with phone at around 70%, been playing a few games and messaging people. Already down to 19% And it's been just a few hours. I don't get it.

How long does it take ona battery replacement?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Default Upgrading phone

You have to go to an Apple Store or find a tech who can work on Apple. If you are still thinking about an upgrade, I would wait a few days until the 7 is out. 6s prices will drop quickly after that.