Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Tartarus
  • 1 Post By Tartarus
  • 2 Post By Garz
  • 2 Post By pkcable
  • 1 Post By pkcable
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Do I have a Faulty Battery?

Do I need to go to the Apple Store and do a battery test? Sometimes my phone shuts down when I'm below 10% then I plug it and it shows that I have over 20% This is my iPhone right now at 10% left...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	109185

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	109186
  2. Best Answer

Maybe? It couldn't hurt to have the Apple Store run a diagnostic. I highly doubt they would charge you for that although any repair might involve a charge if you are out of warranty...

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    39,619 Global Posts

Default re:

Maybe? It couldn't hurt to have the Apple Store run a diagnostic. I highly doubt they would charge you for that although any repair might involve a charge if you are out of warranty...

Default Re: Do I have a Faulty Battery?

I had this same issue on my 22 months old iPhone 5s.
    Went to the Apple Store, they ran a diagnostics test and it showed 1200 full charge cycles. I was told by the genius that the battery replacement required 1500 full charge cycles but because my warranty was over in 2 months I was eligible (he made an exception for me).

And as a bonus, my dented and scratched bezels were so severe they couldn't open the case and I got a refurb for the price of $80, which was the cost for the battery replacement.

All in all, just go to the Store and have them run diagnostics on your iPhone, it can't hurt.
    Ps: don't tell them my story because that could come over as you're trying to push your luck.
    Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    I had this same issue on my 22 months old iPhone 5s.
    Went to the Apple Store, they ran a diagnostics test and it showed 1200 full charge cycles. I was told by the genius that the battery replacement required 1500 full charge cycles but because my warranty was over in 2 months I was eligible (he made an exception for me).

And as a bonus, my dented and scratched bezels were so severe they couldn't open the case and I got a refurb for the price of $80, which was the cost for the battery replacement.

All in all, just go to the Store and have them run diagnostics on your iPhone, it can't hurt.
    Ps: don't tell them my story because that could come over as you're trying to push your luck.
    Apple doesn't charge for a warranty replacement. So did they charge you a deductible for physical damage with having AC+? I'm assuming you had that since your phone was 22 months old and had 2 months of warranty left.

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Apple doesn't charge for a warranty replacement. So did they charge you a deductible for physical damage with having AC+? I'm assuming you had that since your phone was 22 months old and had 2 months of warranty left.
    I don't have AC(+).
    I'm in the Netherlands. The manufacturer, Apple in this case, is legally supposed to give one year warranty, the reseller however is legally bound to give 24 months.
    I bought my iPhone 5s through my carrier.

Since I was in that 24 months the Store genius told me battery replacement costs 80.
    I agreed and 50 minutes later the genius came back with my phone and a white box in his hands.
    Told me they couldn't open the case and asked me if I agreed for phone replacement instead. I told him yes, paid 80 and that was the end of it.
    No mention about scratches or dents whatsoever.

And all I can think of is that since Apple is the manufacturer the genius saved me some time by doing the replacement in store instead of having me go through my carrier which in the end would make my phone land in the Apple Store after all.

All I can say is, I love Apple and their customer support.
    pkcable likes this.

Now I think of it, I guess battery replacement itself is just 80 euros, regardless warranty or no warranty.
    Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tartarus View Post
    I don't have AC(+).
    I'm in the Netherlands. The manufacturer, Apple in this case, is legally supposed to give one year warranty, the reseller however is legally bound to give 24 months.
    I bought my iPhone 5s through my carrier.

Since I was in that 24 months the Store genius told me battery replacement costs 80.
    I agreed and 50 minutes later the genius came back with my phone and a white box in his hands.
    Told me they couldn't open the case and asked me if I agreed for phone replacement instead. I told him yes, paid 80 and that was the end of it.
    No mention about scratches or dents whatsoever.

And all I can think of is that since Apple is the manufacturer the genius saved me some time by doing the replacement in store instead of having me go through my carrier which in the end would make my phone land in the Apple Store after all.

All I can say is, I love Apple and their customer support.
    Ok that could be. Here in the US Apple doesn't charge nothing if your within your warranty period. They only charge for out of warranty service or for physical damage.
    Rob Phillips and Tartarus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Ok that could be. Here in the US Apple doesn't charge nothing if your within your warranty period. They only charge for out of warranty service or for physical damage.
    Yep, that would be in the first year. Same goes here as well.
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    39,619 Global Posts

I have dealt with Apple, BlackBerry, Samsung, and just about everyone else. I can safely say Apple is THE best customer care in the game. They often/always go out of their way for the customer. (Amazon also I HAVE to say). BlackBerry, Samsung, HTC, etc it's just NOT the same! And this is coming from a BlackBerry guy, but I have to be honest!
    Tartarus and libra89 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

I wondering if my battery is junk to. Literally took it off charger 30 minutes ago and it's lost 13% after a few texts and couple other app usages. Just typing this I lost 2%.
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    39,619 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mws_1984 View Post
    I wondering if my battery is junk to. Literally took it off charger 30 minutes ago and it's lost 13% after a few texts and couple other app usages. Just typing this I lost 2%.
    What phone do you have? Perhaps you can take it in to an Apple Store for a diagnostic?

libra89 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

iPhone 6. Had it year and a half. But lately seems to drain faster. Already lost 13% in 1 hr 20 minutes since last charge. Only 44 minutes usage according to Battery life page. Normal or is it dying fast.
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    39,619 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mws_1984 View Post
    iPhone 6. Had it year and a half. But lately seems to drain faster. Already lost 13% in 1 hr 20 minutes since last charge. Only 44 minutes usage according to Battery life page. Normal or is it dying fast.
    Do you have apple care? You can get the battery replacement for for, otherwise it's 79 dollars. Either way you can make an appointment at the Apple Store to get the devices diagnosed and see if that really IS the problem.
    iMore Newbie

My iPhone 6 battery is really under performing now too. It lived in my pocket all day on Friday (I barely used it, I'd taken my family to the state fair) and 7 hours later I was under 30%. I'm also seeing the strange shut downs as 20-ish% or even in the thirties. In fact, just this morning I was down to 50% on my way into work and once I got here and plugged in I was immediately back to 65%.

I've been thinking that I should do a restore to make sure it's not software. I don't have an Apple Store in my area, can a battery diagnostic be run online?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck1369 View Post
    My iPhone 6 battery is really under performing now too. It lived in my pocket all day on Friday (I barely used it, I'd taken my family to the state fair) and 7 hours later I was under 30%. I'm also seeing the strange shut downs as 20-ish% or even in the thirties. In fact, just this morning I was down to 50% on my way into work and once I got here and plugged in I was immediately back to 65%.

I've been thinking that I should do a restore to make sure it's not software. I don't have an Apple Store in my area, can a battery diagnostic be run online?
    I doubt a restore would help. Your 6 is almost 2 years old. I suspect the battery is wearing down. You'll either need to upgrade soon or buy a new battery.
    iMore Newbie

Good to know, thanks!
    iMore Intermediate

What does a restore do? I know when I think of that I just imagine it losing everything on it.