Why can I receive but not send emails from 2 accounts on my iPhone 6?

I

iMore Question

Can receive but not send emails from 2 accounts on iPhone 6

Hello!

Using iPhone 6, iOS9.3.2.

Seemingly all of a sudden I cannot send emails from my yahoo or gmail accounts. The emails hang in the outbox and then fail. The error I get is "the connection to the outgoing server apple.smtp.mail.yahoo/gmail.com failed"

There is no problem sending emails from the desktop.

I have tried rebooting, deleting and reinstalling the email accounts, changing email account password.

From reading around on the net it seems that I should try to renter the username and password info in the outgoing server details in settings, however I cannot do this as it is greyed out.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you!

JABroom

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can receive but not send emails from 2 accounts on iPhone 6

Hello Tartarus,

I have tried deleting and re-adding the accounts a few times, I'm afraid it doesn't solve the problem. There aren't many options whilst setting up the accounts again, it's just a case of entering the email and password.

Any other ideas?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

You need to go to Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendar > your email > add in the SMTP and IMAP.

JABroom

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site

Hello Ledsteplin,

I can't change anything about the outgoing mail server (pre-set to yahoo/gmail) as it is greyed out.

The only thing I can do is add another SMTP server in case the primary server fails?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Hello Ledsteplin,

I can't change anything about the outgoing mail server (pre-set to yahoo/gmail) as it is greyed out.

The only thing I can do is add another SMTP server in case the primary server fails?

You might contact Apple Support. They might have a solution. It's got me stumped. I've read about it graying out. The solution was to delete the email account. Then a hard reset of the phone. Then add the email account back in. Then do the SMTP.

JABroom

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site

Update - the problem has resolved itself.

The only thing that has happened is that before I was in Honduras and now I am in Guatemala. It must therefore be an issue with the network provider although I have no idea what this has to do with the emails as I only use them over wifi. Been travelling abroad for a year and this is the first time it has occurred.

Important thing is that it is solved!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

The only thing that has happened is that before I was in Honduras and now I am in Guatemala. It must therefore be an issue with the network provider although I have no idea what this has to do with the emails as I only use them over wifi. Been travelling abroad for a year and this is the first time it has occurred.

Glad it's working again! The best problems are those that resolve themselves.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

We're glad the problem is resolved, and thank you for the update. Enjoy your weekend...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2