Is it possible to completely wear out your battery?

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
To the point that charging it fully does not last long and it drains quickly. My girlfriend has to use her phone alot for work and she finds that it has really been draining quickly despite leaving fully charged in the morning. She's closed out background stuff and battery usage on apps seems pretty normal. Is there anything else to look at that could be draining things. Or is it really possible to just wipe it out completely so it won't hold a charge for as long as usual. Worth changing out the battery? I hear it is complex to do so?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes it's possible. But I would check to see if it's a rogue app first and if that's not the issue you could reinstall iOS or get the battery replaced.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes it is possible to wear your battery out. You could try restoring your phone and see how that goes. If that is not the problem, then make an appointment and take it in to be looked at. They will be able to tell you for sure. Sounds like the battery is going though.

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
If you restore your phone what happens actually? Mine sometimes drains a little quicker than I'd like, but hers is just insane how bad it drains. I know for me it would feel like a huge pain to restore it and do you lose everything like back to it being factory new?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you restore your phone what happens actually? Mine sometimes drains a little quicker than I'd like, but hers is just insane how bad it drains. I know for me it would feel like a huge pain to restore it and do you lose everything like back to it being factory new?

It would more than likely be best to reinstall iOS and set it up as a new device to see if that helps with battery life. If you restore no you won't lose anything. if you set up as a new device then yeah you will. Even though its a pain it's a good thing to try to see if that increases battery life.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I personally get my iPhone battery replaced annually so the battery life is always on point.

I'm not the op, but with each time, how well does your battery hold up? I mean, do you ever use any of the batteries beyond a year?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What phone is it? Most phones from the 5s back, are getting battery worn. We're beginning to see some 6 and 6 Plus with wear signs. You can check the battery health in this app:
Battery Health -- Battery and charging information for iPhone and iPad! by Eldad Eilam
https://appsto.re/us/Wc4G-.i

And here's a battery test that can help.

Battery test:
Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute. If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
What phone is it? Most phones from the 5s back, are getting battery worn. We're beginning to see some 6 and 6 Plus with wear signs. You can check the battery health in this app:
Battery Health -- Battery and charging information for iPhone and iPad! by Eldad Eilam
https://appsto.re/us/Wc4G-.i

And here's a battery test that can help.

Battery test:
Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute. If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

I tried this and the usage time did increase by 1 but the standby increased by 6 rather than 5. Should I be concerned or is it not really a big deal? I didn't get the app yet.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Is it one of the new iPhones that have the Parallax Effect of the home screen background? I noticed it used to drain my battery faster if i used the phone moderately throughout the day.
settings>general>accessibility>reduce motion and turn it one. hope it helps

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, never done that before.test seems a little short though, I wonder what it would look like over 12 hours ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2